Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Mai Tai Loaf

Pages: 1 1 replies

I was invited to a potluck tea party on the weekend so I adapted dogbytes' Key Lime Rum Cake recipe and made a Mai Tai loaf cake.

I halved her recipe so it would fit in a loaf pan and in doing so I made what I thought might be a horrible horrible mistake: in transcribing the recipe I halved all the ingredients except for the butter - I used 1 1/2 cups instead of 3/4 cups. I thought the loaf might be too moist and mushy and wouldn't slice nicely, but I left it in the fridge overnight and it turned out just fine.

Mai Tai Loaf

For the Cake:
1 1/2 cups butter or margarine
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup milk
3 Tbsp rum
1 tsp grated lime zest
2 tsp lime juice
1/4 cup crushed pineapple, drained

For the Glaze:
1/4 cup simple syrup
3 tablespoons rum
1 tablespoon orange curacao
1 tablespoon orgeat
juice of 1/2 lime

Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour a loaf pan. Mix together the flour and baking powder. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated. Stir in rum, lime zest, lime juice and pineapple.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

Make the glaze by heating the simple syrup in a saucepan until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat, stir in rum, curacao, orgeat and lime juice.

Allow the cake to cool in pan 10 minutes. Prick the top of cake in many places with a toothpick or skewer. Pour the glaze over the warm cake. Cool completely before serving. Slice and garnish with whipped cream and mint sprig if desired.

I am not known for my baking skills (cooking, yes . . . baking no). However . . . this I think I can do! :D

Pages: 1 1 replies