Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Whoa! I Actually SOLD a tiki that I carved myself !?!?! *scroll down*

Pages: 1 13 replies

Aloha!

I'll be traveling to San Diego THIS weekend for the big Swap Meet at Jack Murphy stadium, and I'll be bringing some cool stuff with me: fisk floats BIG and small, Tiki Mugs, original calendar Pin-Ups, original amatuer nude pin-up slides, vintage matchbooks, and if anyone is interested, a Tiki Bar. It's needs to be sanded down and re-stained, plus one side of the footrail needs to be re-attached since the wood block that held it in place is missing. One rung of rattan needs to be nailed down again as well. The lamination is great! A super-easy project that is a BARGAIN at $150. Fixed up, this would bring about $500 in my shop here in Vegas, but I just don't have the time. Here's a few pictures...

If anyone is interested, PLEASE P.M. me TONIGHT! I'm sorry for the last minute-ness. I just thought of posting this today. Anyway, if anyone is interested, P.M. me and I'll bring it. If not, I'll just leave it home.

Either way, I hope to see some of you there!
Mahaloz!

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2007-02-22 18:43 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2007-02-22 18:44 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2007-02-25 23:10 ]

On 2007-02-22 18:28, Tiki Lee's wrote:
I'll be traveling to San Diego THIS weekend for the big Swap Meet at Jack Murphy stadium,

What's the story on the stadium swap meet? I figure if you're coming all the way from Vegas, it must be specialized in some way?
Info, please? :)

Hey 4WD!

My Mom & Dad are members of the Model T club in Riverside, and a bunch of 'em go down to the Swap Meet every year to camp out / hang out together and sell&shop. This is last of the Gigantic Old Car Swap Meets left, so they make it a point to always go. Oddly enough, when I was a kid, there were lots of Gigantic Old Car/Antiques Swap Meets, and our club's annual meet was small and humble. Today, they are mostly all gone and our club's Swap Meet has grown to the size of a Soccer field. Time changes everything, hunh?

Anyway, I'm driving out with my wife to spend the weekend with my folks, and hopefully sell a few things in the process. I think I'm gonna bring a log down and do a little carving right there in our spot. That should keep me busy enough so I don't go out shopping and find things that I just "have to have"!

So I guess, to finally answer your question, it's an Antique/Vintage/Custom Auto Swap Meet with anything and everything that goes with all that!

Hope to see ya there!

I'll check this post again in the morning in case anyone sees it in the A.M. before I load up the truck for the trip.

Aloha!

Wish I could use the bar Lee.

This past Wed morn the wife and I saw about 30 old timey cars on top of Mt. Soledad.
Saturday I'll be riding my bike into Palm Springs. I'll try to stop by Sunday.
Erik

Wow, I am really stoked, suprised, and still in disbelief...

I went ahead and brought my tools and a 28" palm log with me to the Swap Meet, like I said I was gonna do, to keep me busy and out of trouble. Well, I had no idea it wold be such an attention getter! I had SOOO many people come up to me just to talk about what I was doing, how I learned how to carve, etc. I guess it got folks in the buying mood, 'cuz I just about sold out of all the tiki mugs I brought!

Anyway, after I was done carving, a older lady walked up and told me she had been watching the progress of the tiki all day and just had to have it. She wouldn't take no for an answer, and I got $200 for it! Mr. NoNaMe was there; he can vouch for me that I wasn't dreamin'! I'm still having a hard time believing that a total stranger thought enough of something that I made, and wanted it bad enough, to actually be willing to pay me for it. Usually I'M the one buying, not making and selling. It just seems so impossible.

I guess I'll just get over it and keep on carvin'!

I'd like to thank the Acadamy...

...and my Super-Teachers Danny, Benz, Bosko, B.K., & C'Al!

S

Right on! Not only did you sell the tiki, but you found an incredible way to get a lot of attention for your business that resulted in a lot of sales! This is how legends are made dude. Remember, this was your plan from the begining, you master mind you!

way to go, Tiki Lee's!
Keep carving...
K.

8T

Well done my friend!!!!!!!
(I knew him when he was just a greenhorn.)
And to think I saw you take your first whacks at a tiki as you dug in on the group project log at Coontiki.
Hey by the way, did you add that same special feature to the
carving you sold that nice lady??? If so perhaps that had some influence on her.
PS. DID YOU GET A PHOTO??

I once was lost............but now I'm found

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki 2007-02-26 15:27 ]

H
hewey posted on Mon, Feb 26, 2007 5:27 PM

Congrats on the sale mate :)

B

Way to go Grasshopper. You WILL Learn to fly one day, meanwhile just create and sell dem tikis.
Congratulations.

Far out Lee!! That is really cool she pestered you enough not to sell it to anyone else AND she came back.
Nice meeting your wife and parents.
Let us know when you come back over. We will go to dinner when it is not a rush.

Hey, Thanks you guys!

Ya know, I DIDN'T get a picture of it! My wife took a few when I started, but in all the exitement of the sale, no one thought to take another photo until after it was gone. The thrill of the moment kinda made me forget. I think that someone in my folks' old car club took a shot of it, though. I'll see if I can get ahold of it.

And Erik, next time my wifey & I come down there just for ourselves, you KNOW we'll be hookin' up witcha!

Pages: 1 13 replies