Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tiki events in the midwest?

Pages: 1 10 replies

Hello all!

I'm new here and I'm a recent midwest transplant. I lived in San Diego, Ca all 26 years of my life and I now live in West Lafayette, IN where I'm attending Purdue University to get my PhD!

Shame on me, but I never went to any events and that's pretty bad considering I lived in one of the best spots for events. I'm not anti-social I'm just new to the world and started with Tiki mugs.

Anyways I'm just wondering if there are any events or good sources for mugs around this area. I saw that Chicago has had something called exotica in the past, but I can't find an upcoming version. Also, I know that DVA gallery has tiki themed art shows

I'm new so, if you'd like to say "Hi" I've posted more about me in the appropriate forum :)

Mahalo!

hi lucky, new to TC myself, i live in lafayette,not alot that i've found in town, i hear chicago has some tiki bars and events,but i haven't been to any.i have found cool swag at some car shows ,indy, gas city,fairmount. stickers, a couple vintage mugs, tikis cut out of plate steel,which are really cool.i am also in progress of setting up my tiki bar room,which is finished enough for my enjoyment. really interested in exotica 2007 if they have it,columbus ohio having hot rod hula hop, i think in july. give me a shout back

E

Hi lucky tiki and tiki deluxe. Chicago land has a lot of nice tiki type places to visit.
Hala Kahiki
Chef Shangri-la
Tiki Terrace
the Sand Bar is 50's modern/tiki- ish sort of place with live music on the weekend ( no cover too)
I know I'm forgetting some other places as this was just off the top of my head.I'm sure others can add to my list.
Plus we have a pretty large sized group of tiki folks who like to get together often. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to be in the know about our outings.

Oh by the way Hot Rod Hulu Hop will be in August

There is also a rod/tiki event in Peru IL. this May This event will also carry over to the Aku tiki room. (Check out the thread for more details)
Plus you just never know when something else will pop up.
Cheers!

all i can say is keep refering back to tiki central...all events will somehow or another eventually get posted here....keep an eye on the events section. along with the tiki thing in peru, we have the dva annual tiki art show coming up in late june.....also, rumors abound that an exotica 2007 is in the works, but i can't say anything about that...i'm not involved and it's best left to the organizers to provide info, so again, keep looking here on t.c. and you won't miss an event.....

S

Tiki Eyeball will be happening in May. The first year for this event. We're working to make it a fun weekend and a diverse one. Lakesurfer will be coming down to sell his creations and Basement Kahuna will be coming up with me and they both will be putting on a tiki carving demonstration. We are lining up entertainment now.

I forgot to mention that you can go here:
http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/
click on the events moai and see all the fun we had at last years Hot Rod Hulu Hop.

Peru IL is only about 3 hours, i'm gonna try to make it over for the tiki eyeball, a nice prelude to hukilau. Can you keep me updated on this Swanky?

S

On 2007-03-07 12:24, tiki deluxe wrote:
Peru IL is only about 3 hours, i'm gonna try to make it over for the tiki eyeball, a nice prelude to hukilau. Can you keep me updated on this Swanky?

You can bookmark the site and keep track. There is also a thread over in events.

D
DaTiki posted on Wed, Mar 7, 2007 6:28 PM

Welcome to the Midwest! Yes, I will be having my anniversary tiki show Saturday, June 23rd from 4-11pm. The Cocktail Preachers will be playing, Live hula dancing and great tiki inspired art! Hope to see you there.

Aloha Datiki, sounds like a great party, how many years have you been having your shindig? where are you located in the midwest? is it an all's welcome party? just asking for myself really.

L

I believe DaTiki is representing the DVA gallery up in Chicago and if I'm correct it's the 3rd yr of the tiki show? I bought a couple Bubnis tiki pieces last year.

DaTiki are there going to be any blank decanters for sale or will they all be custom painted?

Pages: 1 10 replies