Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Just came across this photographer's site

Pages: 1 7 replies

I don't know if you guys already know this guy, I barely found out about him.

http://www.kimtaylorreece.com/

She looks good enough to eat!

D

Yeah, some friends of mine lived in Hawaii and had a print hanging of hers in their living room. So I asked them about it and still need to get some prints of hers for myself. Saw some on ebay but didn't get them. There beautiful black and whites...

HH

Now your talking my language, Kim taylor is my hero, he single handly brought back hula kahiko (ancient hula dancing)to the masses. Now alot of ppl do this type of photography, but none can capture the grace and beauty he can.His prints are all done in a sepia tone, very warm.If your ever in hawaii, on the north shore side he has a awsome gallery too.I'd love to get more but they can be pricy evan for small prints.I bought a 24k coin/ pendant for my wife with a nice hula engraving on it and a 8 1/2 x 11 print while I was there. I founds some post cards when I was back home and framed them , cheap and very nice.

I'm a fan as well. Kim Taylor's posters seem to be the art of choice at the L&L Hawaiian Barbecues that are starting to pop up around town. And Doctor Z found a framed poster at a garage sale just a few months ago. He got it dirt cheap - the bastard.

Sabu

S

I saw a brief profile of him a while back on TV. Turns out part of the reason he has such a strong sense of line and form is because he's colorblind. Black and white photography became a way to translate his vision (literal and artistic) to others.

Here's an interview-
http://www.wrightforyou.com/kim.html

Saw that special on t.v., too. It was a special on mainlanders who were fortunate enough to make the Hawaiian islands their home - mostly accidentally and now they're living the life! Please... oh please... some day god!? My warehouse guys dig his stuff and have it plastered all throughout the warehouse.
Holden

S

On 2003-01-12 22:39, smogbreather wrote:
Saw that special on t.v., too. It was a special on mainlanders who were fortunate enough to make the Hawaiian islands their home - mostly accidentally and now they're living the life! Please... oh please... some day god

Yup! That was the one- thanks! I was trying to place where I saw that.

Some of the stories were very inspiring; the 'I showed up with a container full of furniture and a little money and just lookie how it all ended up!' sorts.

I'm sure there have been some real changes in how much that could be done today- many of the stories seemed to be people who had gone over decades back, but still it has been and CAN BE done with some luck and serious determination.

Many of the stories, like Reece's also had an element of 'my first ideas or expectations tanked, and this was sort of a fall back plan that ended up being the best thing I EVER could have done!'.

Other people took one trip to the islands and just KNEW there was no going back, or simply that they were absolutely meant to be there.

(Guess it must be something about Hawai'i or the south seas, no one ever seems to talk about instantly knowing they were just meant to live in Akron, Ohio.)

Pages: 1 7 replies