Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Another tiki bites the dust....

Pages: 1 24 replies

K

I'd like to take this opportunity to note the sad passing of another beloved tiki in California. Looks like a chainsaw massacre.

Remember this tiki in Taco Surf's parking lot, across the street from Sam's Seafood in Sunset Beach?

Here's a shot of the crime scene:

Rest in peace, tiki.

8T

DAMN....They cut his tounge out. Those butchers!!!!!!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Feb 25, 2007 5:39 PM

Doesnt look salvageable either :(

B

It looks like an act of vandalism! Why would some idiot(s) do something like that? I just don't get it!?

sad, but why is the background different? Was it moved to a new location and butchered?

K

The brick wall is new. We asked a waitress in Taco Surf about the tiki, and she thought it was brought down to make room for the wall, although there seemed to be enough space for it.

WTF, please explain.....Was it vandalism? Or was it eliminated intentionally, it seems nearly impossible to chainsaw through something that broad without being noticed, I mean directly on PCH. Please explain what happened.

Wonder if the guys who built that wall had to bring heavy equipment in or something, and ruthlessly cut down anything in their way(?) Or was this a hit by the so cal tiki mafia?

T

Looks like a classic 'White Punks On Dope'

G
GROG posted on Mon, Feb 26, 2007 7:25 PM

Oops! Sorry about that. GROG was just trying to help.

GROG was passing by and saw some wood had chipped off of the tiki, so GROG decided
to try and fix it with GROG's brand new chainsaw. The chainsaw sort of got away from GROG
and "oops".........

Sorry!

Sad sad sad. What is with people and their total disregard for history.
Do they want everything to look like a strip mall in So. Cal.

Crazy M Fer's

Jeff(bigtikidude)

...and what was David Crosby doing there?

Hmmmm. And some people call it "progress."

I'm sure the top half could be reworked (alot). A nice sanding job on the mouth, a new coat of paint....carve up some new eyes...idk. Just throwing in my 2 cents.

On 2007-02-25 17:23, 8FT Tiki wrote:
DAMN....They cut his tounge out. Those butchers!!!!!!

HORRORS!

WTF - THERE ARE SO FEW TIKI'S LEFT!
Stealing might be acceptable if it was only vandalism.

[ Edited by: christiki295 2007-03-13 22:52 ]

That looks like the tiki that was carved by James 'Tikimo' (a local SoCal carver). You can see footage of him carving it at the end of the Tiki Hunters documentary.

[ Edited by: ZuluMagoo 2007-03-13 23:35 ]

Here is the link to the Tiki Hunters dvd. It is about two thirds down on the page. You can watch a preview of the dvd and Tikimo is the third guest interview (right after Sven sitting in the great Vitco chair). It's a good documentary. The video shows that the eyes used to light up and flash periodically.

On 2007-02-26 19:25, GROG wrote:
Oops! Sorry about that. GROG was just trying to help.

GROG was passing by and saw some wood had chipped off of the tiki, so GROG decided
to try and fix it with GROG's brand new chainsaw. The chainsaw sort of got away from GROG
and "oops".........

Sorry!

Thank Gods you didn't talk me into that Dental Work! "GROG Correspondence School Graduate" indeed! :o

B

What an Effen shame - probably some religous group who took offense to a "false idol".

TS

You know, I'd understand if the wall builders cut it down to have room to put up the wall, but why the massacre? The thing is missing its eyes, its hair, and its tongue...And all the paint seemed to be removed??? Kinda weird to do all of that just to build a wall....It looks like it is a related "Black Dahlia" case "Black Tikialia"...Wonder if the murderer hangs out at Sams? :P

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2008-02-24 08:53 ]

Sorry to spoil the party but it got hit by a car a while back. The eyes used to have red fish floats in em.

TikiMo ( hb tiki carver w/ wacky hair ) made it for them.

just saw above post.

D'oh!

Bamboo Ben Custom Tropical Decor!
I build stuff for you!
Google search me and see!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2008-02-24 08:58 ]

M

Whomever was driving the vehicle was so drawn by it's beauty that they hit it. Maybe the vehicle owner should pay to have another one carved.

J

It must have been the "President of the Board" of the condo association in Maui.

On 2008-02-24 08:57, RevBambooBen wrote:
Sorry to spoil the party but it got hit by a car a while back. The eyes used to have red fish floats in em.

TikiMo ( hb tiki carver w/ wacky hair ) made it for them.

That is no justification for sawing it up. If someone drove through the window, they wouldn't cut the building in half.
It could not have been that difficult to re-erect the Tiki.

At the very least, they could have preserved a portion and moved it inside.

If there are any rogue tikis in the wild out in front of buildings where they probably aren't appreciated, TCers with the ability to save them should contact the building's owner and tell them that they are willing to remove/take the tiki should the need arise. Leave names and phone #s and offer to remove the tiki for FREE, this should prevent massacres like this. This is my suggestion since many building owners do not know that tikis are actually wanted and needed by some of us and they only think tikis are a nuisance that needs to be eliminated. I think the offer of FREE removal would motivate some owners.

Pages: 1 24 replies