Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Veteran Tiki Centralites

Pages: 1 35 replies

No disrespect to the new members:

You old farts;
Just give yourself a moment to read the first 10, maybe 15/20/30 pages.
WHY? I don't know/don't care.
I just enjoyed doing it.

Introductions! New members post here

Ya ya (I know)
This is my only mushy post for the year.
Unga / Fuc#"*g Wimp

Only a few hardcore veterans remain. Interesting.
Did you see bamboo ben's first post? And who is that Tiki Diablo guy?

Get in touch with your inner native!!
Create Paradise!!

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2007-03-01 07:33 ]

P
pablus posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2007 8:35 AM

I'm not an old-timer yet. I think you have to be here at least 5 years for that. I read that somewhere.
Maybe it was just now.

Yes, I remember that I was the one who was drubbing the "come-latelys" during the Ohana Hut rush.
But that involved merchandise so it doesn't count. Plus I got yelled at. I was all hurty inside.

Anyway, I miss the rejoinders of some of the more venerable among us as much as I chafe at some of the non-stop prattle from others.

But I still check it everyday anyway. Every now and then a great carver comes along or a great storyteller or another historical link is uncovered or another good music link is posted.

Lord...Deja-view. Almost like reading an alumni list. I miss a lot of those people. I find all the early pages and topics are interesting to look at now, in context. I proudly wear the number 490. My whole experience with tiki prior to the B.O.T. and Tiki Central was scattered around various years, little pieces, and whatever I could drum up as a solo nut. I really never knew there was a tiki scene. Then I walked into a friend's book and toy store, Bizarro Wuxtry, in Athens one day, mid-construction on the Kon Tiki Paradise Room, and bought a little book by our big brother Sven. Changed forever. I went to school here at the university of TC. 5968 mambers now, man. That's hard to believe.

Now go back and search all the post by yourself and read the first 15-20. Jeez, I can't believe any of you would want to be my freind after reading some of the goofy jibberish I had written. It's been an interesting last four years to say the least and I am glad to have had the pleasure to meet so many of you. Sad to see so many folks not postin' so much anymore but a lot of those good people you can still catch up with at events and hangin' around the tiki bars from time to time.

Chongolio

This sort of post sounds familiar.

S

Weird how 2002 is like ancient history. The internet is aging us fast! But then, you go back 5 more years and the Internet hardly existed to most folks. Who was online in 1997? So, TC is about half as old as the Internet. That's a while in context. All of the internet has really changed in the last five years and still, every day new people get online and get on Ebay and drive up the prices of tiki stuff, and bring us new information about lost tiki places and things.

I sometimes wish I could go back to the 70s and see Star Wars again for the first time as a kid too, but, that doesn't mean Star Wars sucks now...

I pretty positive I'm still a new guy, but I'm interested to know where people have gone.

I'm sure there are many answers. But if there are latter stages to this Tiki lifestyle I've been leading for a few years now, I'd like to know what they may be, and whether I need any specific inoculations and/or merit badges.

Regardless, if you have a friend who was once a frequent and above average poster here, would you ask them to come back because I get this feeling sometimes that I'm missing out on something I've never known. (I think there's a German word for that, but I don't remember it)

A huge thanks to those of you who've been here from the beginning, suffering through newbies, patiently pointing us in the right direction (or impatiently but with humor :wink:)

P
pablus posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2007 1:52 PM

Where's tikiconvert? That lush.
Hey, I'll trade you a palm tree for maple syrup.
Need it for Captain's Grog.

I don't know where he is right now. Somewhere in these United States bringing bass amplification to the masses.

But tomorrow evening, he'll be in Billerica, MA playing upright bass!

As for the maple syrup, that stuff grows on trees up here!

Cute! So the very first Tiki Central pages, the ones on Yahoo, the proto-TC petroglyphs....they are really all gone, completely wiped out, clean slate, nada, nix mehr?

On 2007-03-01 11:02, Monkeyman wrote:
This sort of post sounds familiar.

Ya, But this time it's not from you!!!!

Arrrrrr!!!! lol!!!

Unga Bunga Back in Action!! ( or drunk )

JT!? If Needless Markup didn't have tiki back then....
...they have it now!!! lol!!

Rock on Everyone, Old, New and Tween!

Long Live Tiki !!!

Long Live Tiki Central!!!

Only the Strong will Survive!!!

p.s. I forgot to mention that these days I'm pretty much a Thread Killer. Watch your back Unga! I killed your thread!

Yah Ben, no longer the soft pink little piggies we used to be, but rather grisled leathery skinned boars. SNORT!

As for me, I still enjoy Tiki Central (4 years) and Tiki (about 8 years), but it's not exclusive for me. It's a bright beautiful world full of lotsa......cool stuff and exciting people.....and this beer, Boont Amber Ale is pretty good too. SLURP!

I

Time does go by quickly when one is having fun.

I had been into tiki since the mid-90's, my interest peaked by Tiki News and the zine scene. I was buying mugs from the thrifts, held a few tiki-themed parties, and was even able to visit a couple events at the Kahiki, which was neat. But for the most part, tiki seemed to be a relatively solo adventure for me, something I dabbled in now and then.

2002 was the year that things changed. The first Hukilau was held in Atlanta, and it was there that Swanky mentioned the existence of the Tiki Central website, and how I needed to sign up there. Shortly after joining, johntiki posted about organizing the first meeting of the local DC/VA/MD people, at the Honolulu Restaurant. And it was around that time that I first met Trixie Little and the Evil Hate Monkey, at a Tiki-themed fundraiser in Baltimore.

Since then, I have spent considerable reading and posting on Tiki Central, and spending vacation time and $$ attending Hukilau events, and making my tiki room better and better with each passing month.

So thanks to all you fellow veterans, for being very worthy companions for this ongoing tiki adventure. I hope many of you continue to participate and contribute to this subculture.

Vern

I don't think of myself as a veteran tiki centralite because i never posted on the yahoo original, but i was surprise to find I'd first posted on the third page of that thread.

Whether you are a newbie or "veteran", it does not matter.

Look, listen, learn, join-in when you feel the need, laugh, cry, give a pat on the back, a caring hug, a firm shake of the hand, or buy the next round of drinks. This is not not a multi-level marketing company, the armed forces or who has more (or less) of material things or knowledge than another.

This is Ohana.

T
thejab posted on Mon, Mar 5, 2007 1:46 PM

On 2007-03-01 11:13, Swanky wrote:
Weird how 2002 is like ancient history. The internet is aging us fast! But then, you go back 5 more years and the Internet hardly existed to most folks. Who was online in 1997?

As I recall there was a web site called Swanky's Bachelor Pad in 1997. Am I right? And James' Tiki Bar Review Pages. And the Search for the Ultimate Mai Tai site. Things have sure changed, not necessarily for the worse. Sure, there are way more advertising and commercial sites, but the amount of useful and entertaining info these days is staggering, especially with the rise in blogging.

Remember Compuserve, BBs, and listserver forums? modslist!

H

On 2007-03-01 13:41, The Granite Tiki wrote:
...I'm sure there are many answers. But if there are latter stages to this Tiki lifestyle I've been leading for a few years now, I'd like to know what they may be, ...

Liver failure.

G

On 2007-03-01 11:13, Swanky wrote:
Who was online in 1997?

Me.

I'm not an old-timer here, but once I discovered this place and BOT, etc I dove in head first. No dip of the toe for me. More like headfirst off the high dive. Tiki started moving through my veins like a virus and I couldn't get enough. Still can't really. I get frustrated when there's not so much left to uncover anymore. (Although the Volcano thread proves there might be more lurking out there.) The excitement of that initial discovery is the best. Jealousy is not an admirable thing, but I am admittedly jealous of those who discovered it all before me and were thrilled with each new discovery as it happened. I'm even more jealous of those who enjoyed it all first hand some 40-50 years ago. But then again, a lot of them are dead and I'm not, so maybe I'm not THAT jealous.

But Tiki Central keeps chugging on with its ebb and flow of activity. As soon as you think it's about dried up, a new well springs up somewhere.

On 2007-03-05 11:11, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
Whether you are a newbie or "veteran", it does not matter.

Look, listen, learn, join-in when you feel the need, laugh, cry, give a pat on the back, a caring hug, a firm shake of the hand, or buy the next round of drinks. This is not not a multi-level marketing company, the armed forces or who has more (or less) of material things or knowledge than another.

This is Ohana.

Exactly, also not a place to blow into without any sensitivity. It's not a business first, it's a culture first. It IS Ohana, and it IS Aloha. Shameless capitalism and blatant self-promotion have no place here.

A
aquarj posted on Mon, Mar 5, 2007 6:54 PM

Shameless capitalism and blatant self-promotion have no place here.

Hey JT, isn't that place called Tiki Marketplace?Capitalism is about free markets, and Tiki Marketplace is a free marketplace, so no reason for any shame at all! Unless someone's trying to huckster some cell phones.

-Randy

Capitalism is fine, shameless capitalism is not. There is a difference.

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Mar 6, 2007 8:47 AM

GatorRob, the Volcano thread is exactly why TC is important. If we get every known place its own thread here, when the grand child comes to own the pile of stuff from the old tiki bar, and they go to the net and type it in, they will find us and start sharing. Even if they just say they want to sell it all off. They come here. We really need to be putting everything here and drawing all inquiries to the people that care. Without TC, the Volcano info would have been lost.

In 1996 I was a Junior in Computer Science in a networking class and the professor asked who had been on the Internet. One guy raised his hand. Mosaic... :wink:

Hukilau would not have existed without the Internet and TC. We have the chance to make a lot more of what we have too.

I guess I'm a veteran. I always thought I was more of an inveterate.

Kinda funny how this post has brought out some folks we haven't heard from in a while.
It doesn't seem like it's been that long that TC has been bringing people together for the love of Tiki but when you look back, a helluva' lot has been crammed in around here. All of the events and the new ones that keep evolving. All of the friends who have come and gone... and come back again.
I think that is probably the most interesting thing... the people we've stopped hearing from on TC. Where did they go? Have they moved on from TIki alltogether? or just lost the time to post here?
Anyway, like they say, "The more things change, the more they stay the same."
Aloha,
:tiki:

On 2007-03-06 23:35, Tiki Royale wrote:
Kinda funny how this post has brought out some folks we haven't heard from in a while.

I think that is probably the most interesting thing... the people we've stopped hearing from on TC. Where did they go? Have they moved on from TIki alltogether? or just lost the time to post here?

I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you.... and I like you TR -- so please -- don't make me kill you. :)

S
seamus posted on Wed, Mar 7, 2007 8:49 AM

I sure do miss seeing some of those names that used to be so prevalent.

Oh PolyPop, I got your back. :wink:
Hey, I have pics of some revived rattan I should show ya... gotta gemember.
Aloha,
:tiki:

M

I'm still here, though I post quite infrequently. :D

S
seamus posted on Thu, Mar 8, 2007 9:46 AM

Capitalism is fine, shameless capitalism is not. There is a difference.

Yeah,, the shameless ones get rich, and who wants that!

Seamus capitalism is fine..............the hardest working guy in Portland.

S

Ha! If you knew just how lazy I really am!

On 2007-03-11 13:50, seamus wrote:
Ha! If you knew just how lazy I really am!

Do people bug you on the 17th???

S

Do people bug you on the 17th???

Not as much as the 18th when I've got the worst hangover of the year!

Wow. Formikahini, Humuhumu, and Sabu The Coconut Boy all introduced themselves for the first time on August 22, 2002. They were complete strangers and lived in different states.

Since then, they have become friends and have shared drinks together at vintage tiki bars and other events.

I would consider that the mark of a good online Board.

Sabu

Pages: 1 35 replies