Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Tiki Josh and Missus in Maui April 19th to 23rd

Pages: 1 5 replies

T

Got a pretty good deal on a long weekend through Pleasant Holidays. We've only been to Maui once before, and only for a few days then. We did the drive to Hana, and saw some of Haleakala national park (the pools at Oheo gulch, all that jazz). We also went to the luau at the Royal Lahaina hotel.
We didn't make it to Molokini for diving/snorkeling, and we also didn't really get to do much exploring in the Kihei area.
I'm sort of putting together my to-do list for what else we have to do. Any suggestions?
So far I've got Mama's Fish House, I might check out the Keka'a Terrace at the Sheraton, and also the Hula Grill.
I don't think we're interested in the drive to Hana again. We may or may not make it for a sunrise on Haleakala. It sounds great, but it also sounds early.

What other restaurants and activities are a must-see? Does anyone know if Don the Beachcomber's at the Royal Lahaina is open? I think I remember a post saying that it was gonna shut down. Has that happened yet, does anyone know?

Also, and maybe Holden can help us out if he reads this-- I saw some Tiki Farm produced Don the Beachcomber coconut mugs in Mugoomba. Are those used at the currently open DTB's in Hawaii (Kona and Maui)? Since my chances of getting a vintage coconut are slim, I'm wondering if I might be able to get one on this trip. I didn't see any special drink/glassware at the DTB on Kona when we were there last year.

Well, thanks to everyone in advance for your help! Mahalo!
PS-- if anyone else is gonna be around Maui at this time, let me know. Maybe we can hook up for a drink or something.

J

I would say definitely do the sunrise at Haleakala! Yes, it's early, but when it's over you can go back to the hotel and nap. That's what we did. If the weather is right, it's worth losing sleep over!

T

Cool. So do you just drive to the top and look for a good spot? Is there any hiking involved, that kind of thing?

J

There is a lookout spot at the western edge of the crater with a parking lot and info booth. Ask at the concierge or activity desk of your hotel. They should be able to give you a map and all the other details. There are also some tour companies that will drive you up there, then you ride bikes back down. Be sure to bring heavy jackets or the blankets from your hotel room. It gets EXTREMELY cold there before the sun comes up since it's about 10,000 feet up.

Here is a link to the website for Haleakala National Park. It has all the visitor info you'll need.

Be sure to let me know how you like it if you go. It was the most memorable part of my Maui vacation 10 years ago!

My Maui top 5:

1. Pina Coladas out of pineapples at sunset at the Sheraton, while watching the hula dancer do a hula in honor of Pele and then watching the cliff diver.

2. The secluded beach on the other side of Black Rock from the Sheraton (walk past the tennis courts)

3. Maui Tropical Botanical Plantation

4. Iao Needle for hiking

5. Whale watching cruise

Favorite restaurant: dinning in the sand, while watching the Hula dancer, at Hula's.

Favorite Breakfast: I also recommned the Macadamia nut pancakes at Tiki Terrace @ Ka'anapali Beach Hotel ($15 buffet).

Tip: Avoid Front Street at all costs, except for maybe the Banyan Tree and to park while going whale watching.

T

Thanks christiki!
The Sheraton sounds nice. Drinks in pineapples are always good, and are even better when there's a hula show involved! Awesome!

Pages: 1 5 replies