Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Rum Jumbie - Is there a recipe?

Pages: 1 5 replies

I just got back from the Caribbean where I bought a bottle of Rum Jumbie. Frankly, all I wanted was the figural bottle...never once thought I'd be hooked to the point of mainlining the liqueur inside.

Big problem though. Rum Jumbie is available in 3 states in the US. None of which I live in. Second big problem? It was about $7 in St. Maarten and about $25 if I have it shipped from a distribution center.

This got me thinking. Rum Jumbie is a liqueur and there are recipes for other liqueures...how hard can this be? Does anyone have a recipe for Rum Jumbie or has attempted to duplicate it?

On the other hand...you have more fingers.

[ Edited by: Dancin' Lizard 2007-03-09 18:44 ]

F

here are some drink recipes http://www.rumjumbie.com/recipes.html

These are drinks made from Rum Jumbie the liqueur. I'm looking for the recipe to make the liqueur. So far I'm coming up dry. But that is the Rum Jumbie web site and that is the Rum Jumbie bar that is just feet from the cruise ship dock! How handy!!

Profile the flavor for us, that will help. What color is it? what does it smell like? What does it taste like?

Rum Jumbie is a fairly new addition to the world of flavored rums, so that’s probably why no one has come up with a home recipe yet. I actually have a half-full bottle that I got in 2002, and here’s what I observed last night while enjoying some neat:

Aged rum base, probably blended with light rum
Light amber color, high sugar content, fairly viscous (probably glycerine a.k.a. glycerol which would enhance the sweetness)
Spices: Strong vanilla, traces of allspice (the spice berry, not the spice mix)
Fruits: citrus (sweet orange, tangerine, not lime, possibly Meyer lemon), the barest hint of passion fruit
Other flavor notes: caramel, slight tannins (like light tea), slightly reminiscent of cola

It’s pretty similar to Nassau Royale (vanilla-spice flavored rum) and tonight I think I’ll try a little experiment with some mixing Nassau Royale, homemade tangerine rum (really simple recipe I can share here) and a melted ice cube’s worth of passion fruit juice and see if it compares. If it does, then it’s a pretty simple process to adjust the tangerine rum recipe to include the vanilla-spice ingredients…I also suspect that adding a bit of caramelized sugar and perhaps a bit of whiskey will replicate the ‘cola’ taste I noticed.

Gina

I was going to say that it tastes a little like heaven...but that was much better.

Pages: 1 5 replies