Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

oc chop chop - march 24th

Pages: 1 13 replies

T

This will be the Orange County version of the famous San Diego Chop Chop...A couple of the pro tiki carvers from SD have already rsvp'ed, so there will be some guidance for those who want to give it a try...In addition there will be the added attraction of live music,acoustic jam style with PA and mics, potluck kau kau style and hosted tiki bar(until the rum runs out anyways) ...It will be held Saturday March 24th from 11am until ? in Garden Grove, near the "Block" shopping center. Don't want to carve? Come over, have a drink and talk story. PM me for address.

Any san diego area to OC carpools starting up yet?

Buzzy Out!

T

No carpool info yet Buzzy...even had one cancel from San Diego so far. This will be on no matter what though. A lot of the people coming are not TC members, so nothing much on the board Hope you can make it.

I'm desert bound that weekend to tear around and jump stuff :wink:

Sorry i'll miss this one...take lots of pics!!!

M
mieko posted on Sat, Mar 17, 2007 9:39 AM

My work has been crazy, and that's the last weekend for this project I'm working on. But I would like to go for a little while if it works out, if any other SD'ers want to go for a short time, I'd love to carpool. Can you PM me an address so I can figure out travel time and stuff?

This may be an opportunity to start a new log. Anyone else in?

Okay. I think I got enough done around the house today that I can spend next Saturday goofing off. (Not that carving isn't serious work.)

I'm still trying to finish the tiki I started at Mieko's back in December. That'll be my project for the day.

T

Not a huge response from here, but there will be several musicians show up to jam. My friend Aaron will be by around 5pm to play some Hawaiian slack key guitar and he also does some regular key stuff like Izzy and John Cruz. Ray said to remind everyone that all crafts are welcome, painting, woodburning or anything else you want to do ... the underlying theme is party time.

Will definitely try to make it by to watch the wood chips fly. Will bring tiki band-aids for the agressive beginners! I'm not a carver but I do like to watch!!

I'll be bringing my propane torch. That might be good for a few laughs.

T

Well the lady carvers are so awesome...ALL of the women from the San Diego chop chop are coming!!! It's no secret that the women have been kicking some serious bootay. There must be something calling all the guys out to the desert for some random mechanical mayhem.

Well, I had an amazing time at the OC Chop. Not a huge turn out, but I met a bunch a fabulous people.

I finished two of my tikis, which was my goal for the day.

Ray - Thank you for the hospitality and for teaching me how to use my propane torch.

Tom - Your drinks are awesome. Thank you for keeping my glass full at all times. (That's actually the secret to the propane torch.) If anyone knew how buzzed I was while I was burning that tiki...

I can't wait to try Tina's recipe for the citrus-ginger syrup.

I had the opportunity to pick the brains of people who had lived in Hawaii, so I got tons of great travel tips for my trip to Maui.

It was a great way to spend a Saturday.

M
mieko posted on Mon, Mar 26, 2007 8:18 PM

Sounds like you had a good time! I'm sorry I didn't make it, I actually did manage to make it up the freeway that day, and had all intentions of stopping by, but ran into traffic and ran out of time.

T

Yes, light turnout indeed. My smallest party ever. Over 100 invites and maybe 20 showed up. The few that did more than made up for it though. Way more ladies than men, which is just fine by me. Tina brought her gourds and woodburned up some ipu's and she gave one to me. An Ipu is the hand drum used by hula dancers and was decorated with a Hawaiian quilt pattern. Nice...
Kate is the hardest working tiki carver in So-Cal and is turning out some great work...The one she burned came out really nice.
Also the formerly mentioned citrus ginger mix was awesome!!!

Pages: 1 13 replies