Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Ry Cooder

Pages: 1 11 replies

So I never thought of Ry Cooder as tiki bar music but I'm sucking Mai Tais tonight and
lisnin' to Ry's new cd "My Name Is Buddy." It's very cool music and it helped me finish my
last carving, I think we should all be lisnin' to it.
Any Ry Cooder fans out there?

Check out his split album with Manuel Galbon, called Mambo Sinuendo. It made me think the same thing about his stuff being tiki'ish.
Cheers.

[ Edited by: Matt Reese 2007-03-12 05:48 ]

Was gonna mention that one Matt, I think that one has a very cool tropical feel to it.
The new one is not tropical, unless you consider the dust bowl era to be exotic! Has a
bluegrassy-Woody Guthrie sound...it's a lot of fun.

Ry is an incredible Guitarist and Musician. Mambo Sinuendo is a great listen - I'll have to check out his newest. Thanks for the heads-up.

It great to know that someone other than us guitar nerds "get" a player of this caliber.

His work "Talking Timbuctu" with Ali Farka Toure is unsurpassed.

There are times when the the music drifts from that of Mali to almost sounding like Surf Guitar.

He's really fantastic, and you never get tired of what he makes.

Great topic

I've been a fan of Ry Cooder for years. Loved his album "Into the Purple Valley." I have that one on vinyl which incidentally has some really cool album artwork. Also, I've really enjoyed some of Ry Cooder's work on soundtracks for films. Definitely not Tiki but he did some kick-ass cajun stuff for "Southern Comfort" and he did music for one of the greatest westerns ever "The Long Riders." Both films are worth checking out if you haven't seen them.

Hey...nice to get a positive response to ole' Ry! You never know which musician will strike
a positive nerve, and which one will throw you into the Buffett fan category!
For anyone thinking of picking up "My Name Is Buffy" make there no mistake about it, this is
not anything like his more "worldly stuff." This is pure American Music. I can't get enought
of it and I'm stoked to find a few Cooder fans out there.
I walk around all day singing lines from the album, and I can't carry a tune in a bucket.
Everybody thinks I'm nuts.

..there was a nice ry cooder double c.d. a few years back...had his music from soundtracks like "streets of fire","southern comfort","the border" and "johnny handsome" on it......good stuff!!

TT

I was in the record store tonight and cruising the "bargain bin" and came across the sound track for the movie "paris,texas" by ry cooder and thought.."now where have i heard that name" so i bought it as i some sometimes do on a whim, then jumped on TC and found this thread.. spooky.... gonna go listen now..

Looks like today is his 60th Birthday!

O

I borrowed the cover art from the CD Chavez Ravine that that is posted on TC to save TV at the link below.
My brother Michael C. Mc Millen who went to high school with Ry, did the art work showing a bulldozer mowing down the houses that once stood in Chavez Ravine with a UFO observing.
Ry Cooder also did the Buena Vista Social Club about Cuban music that is great tiki music.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=22674&forum=1&start=105

Don't forget his work with Gabby Pahinui

http://www.hulasource.com/gabbypahinui.html

Pages: 1 11 replies