Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Surf Tiki new project... recycled bar

Pages: 1 13 replies

If you haven't followed the tiki swap thread here is my very first stab at making tiki art. Actually, I haven't made any art since like 10th grade, which was way back in the day...trust me. Comments and critiques welcomed. It's from a recycled oak plank, about 1 foot tall.

[ Edited by: Surf tiki 2007-03-25 19:09 ]

[ Edited by: Surf Tiki 2007-04-26 20:09 ]

B

SurfTiki, Not bad for your first, Much better than My first I Guarantee you that!. Keep doing more and they will get better and more detailed. Nice smooth finish too.

I've always liked the profile carvings, and your's turned out really good. It reminds me of those old "siluette" portratis from the 1800's, only tiki.

ALso, recycled wood is ALWAYS good.

Nice job, carve some more!

H

Niiiiice, ST,
"First stab" means there's going to be a 2nd, 3rd, etc., right? One thing about your first, it can simultaneously be your best AND your worst. Leave it alone and move on to the next one. The next ones are always better than the last (most of the time)! That would look really good stained dark and mounted on a piece of lauhala with a bamboo or carved wood frame. Keep on keepin' on.
Brad

C

Nice first one! Keep posting!

ST

Well, you can put the Monster House DONE stamp on it. I'm pretty stoked with it, especially for a first shot.

[ Edited by: Surf tiki 2007-03-25 20:38 ]

B

You SHOULD Be pretty Stoked! Excellent First tiki. I'm sure #2 will be even Better!

nice one surf tiki keep up the good work

B

Very good

H

WOW-that looks really good. Sorry-I thought it was finished last time I posted. Glad you didn't listen to me and put it down and move on to the next. Hope you guys have had some good waves, it's been very nice here on FB for the past 5 days straight.
Brad

H
hewey posted on Mon, Mar 26, 2007 7:58 PM

Looks really good - nice shape

ST

New project... shipping crate bar #2 (see first one in the "post pic's of your bar here" thread).

Step 1: Work somewhere where they like to ship large things around
Step 2: Be at the right place at the right time to rescue a crate from the dumpster.
Step 3: Disassemble crate and adjust dimension to fit your needs.

Step 4: Take left over pieces and start cobbling together shelves and stuff.

I plan on wrapping the sides and front in one of those reed sunscreens like you hang on your porch. The top is under debate but may be a cool palm leaf and flower fabric I picked up on eBay. Also still debating interior color.

More to come. Hope to finish most of it this weekend...unless there are waves or bad weather.

Instead of covering it, you could add some more plain wood to the front, then stencil the nazi shipping decal from raiders of the lost ark on it. Get your blow tourch and burn of the nazi logo and then you could have a "crate of chaos" bar. You could even go so far as adding the final set of US army decals to it which my research tells me is "Top Secret Army Intel. 9906753 Do Not Open!".

add a tiki biohazard symbol. :D

Pages: 1 13 replies