Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Notch's Tiki Carvings....

Pages: 1 44 replies

N
NOTCH posted on Tue, Mar 13, 2007 8:02 PM

Ahoy TC!!!!
I just got some free 6 foot redwood logs and would like to get some info from you carvers out there?
What steps do I take before carving fresh redwood?

[ Edited by: NOTCH 2007-05-13 21:24 ]

HOK

Aloha Notch! Its always good to seal the ends of newly cut wood in general with some kind of paint/sealer. I've been told it doesn't matter what you use, latex/oil based paint. This should be done to let the moisture out through the sides and let the wood dry slowly and lessen cracking. Freddie

great piece o' wood ya got there. Hope to see great things come out of that wood!

N
NOTCH posted on Tue, Mar 13, 2007 8:34 PM

When can I get to Carving?

Notch - I've never carved fresh redwood, but the redwood I have carved (4x4's from HOme DEPOT) is very "flakey" inbetween the hardwood grains. Make sure your chisels are SHARP all the time. I don't know about grinding and chainsawing, but dremeling works very well on redwood too.

Will at SCtikishack in Santa Cruz ( http://www.sctikis.com ) carves big redwood exclusively with a grinder and chainsaw. He's the dude to ask about the fresh stuff. I know Aarons Akua also carved up a few pieces of redwood too - so check his thread or PM either of them.

Can't wait to see what you'll do.

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2007-03-13 21:12 ]

P

jungle trader carves a lot of redwood.

Notch, House of Ku said it. Seal the ends. I love working with it. Let it dry slowly in the shade. For me, I like carving it green. You have the coastal influence so your summers are a lot cooler than the valley.
Do it. Dig.

K

like JT says cedar is easier to carve wet or green but needs to be sealed on the ends to reduce cracking.

Notch,

I love carving redwood wet. Quite often, I carve them wet on purpose to ensure that the sapwood has no dry rot. If the rings are nice and tight(with rings less than 1/8in apart) you have nothing to worry about because they don't split much. However, if it was a tree grown in the city it probably has rings closer to 1/2 in or an inch apart and the log will develop large cracks.

I would go ahead and carve them. Just don't leave them in the sun and give them a good watering once in a while if you aren't going to seal them right away. If you are going to carve then immediately seal, it will make the log dry slowly and there is no issue.

Will

N
NOTCH posted on Wed, Mar 14, 2007 6:09 PM

Awesome!!! Thank you guy's for all the info!!! I will post some pics of my progress... Mucho Mahaloz!!!

[ Edited by: NOTCH 2007-03-14 18:44 ]

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 14, 2007 6:16 PM

Can't wait to see what you do with it, your work is awesome :)

N

I just went ahead and started cutin, Here's a picture of some progress..... got's more detail to do it before i call it done..

[ Edited by: NOTCH 2007-03-18 12:54 ]

I am thrilled and honored to say that NOTCH's tiki has arrived safe and sound to Lund Manor. Holy $#!%, it's got so much power and serenity, like a spring-loaded Tiki trap just waiting to open a can of whoop@$$ on whoever crosses him. We couldn't ask for a better protector for our a little piece of tropical paradise.

Now where's that photo cable?....

Nice tiki...Have to offer, even being already carved, if it's a green log, hit both of those cut ends with a gardener's pruning sealer. It'll dry a lot more evenly that way. Logs lose 70 percent of their moisture through the cut ends. The more you can slow that process, the fewer the chances of bad checking.

Although not in his final seat of honor, here's Biff (as he was so named at FI last Saturday) hanging out at Hinky Drinks (waiting for it to open?):

and a closer image of his face:

K

Holy crap, Nacho!! That turned out beeeeeetchin!

B

Coolest stuff there Notch, you sure Notched him out in a hurry Excellent work.

Good job Notch.

N
NOTCH posted on Tue, Mar 27, 2007 9:22 AM

Thanks guys for the awesome feedback.. After finishing my mug projects I will get to those other logs and start carving, but fer now there just laying around me backyard on concrete. I have lots to learn and i find myself reading old postings on carving here on TC( lots of good info)...Mucho Mahaloz

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Apr 5, 2007 11:33 PM

Missed this one somehow - great carve Notch! I dig the subdued finish - that wood's too nice to cover up.

K
KAHAKA posted on Tue, Oct 9, 2007 9:33 PM

Got a Notch tiki in the house! His version of the famous Witco fountain. I like it even better than the original design! High five to my brotha Notch.

WOW!!! What a great design, Notch!! Congrats to you Kahaka... looks great in your house.

Is there anything Notch can't do? Mugs, tiki carvings, fantastic automobiles, and "portable" Tiki Bars (KuBar)!!!

Yeehaw!

• Myke
K

Yeah, TWB, I'm stoked. I dig it, and so does the wife, which is always the extra plus. She picked out the spot for it before it was even delivered cuz she knew it'd be a keeper!!!

S

Great Job! Notch very cool he looks wise.

T

Cool tikis Notch,
It was fun seeing your bar at the Yahoo! party
here is my carving thread if you feel like checking it out:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19089&forum=7

Keep up the great work.

N
NOTCH posted on Sat, Sep 6, 2008 5:29 PM

Thanks Seeksurf and Tahitiki
Here are a couple I did a few days ago
and the moai is not done but I will show progress pics later

T

Good stuff man!

Nice style Notch! The tiki looks killer, can't wait to see that //\oai. Carve more, Post pictures....

B

Notch, Looks like that Cedar Log is giving up an Excellent Moai, Nice cuts so far and I can't Wait to see that grain at work!

K
KAHAKA posted on Mon, Sep 8, 2008 6:38 PM

Go Notch, GO! Post mo' pics of the mo-eye!!!!!! Eye eye eye! Eye like your work.

Sorry. That's enough.

Woody.

N
NOTCH posted on Fri, Feb 13, 2009 2:43 PM

another chainsaw carving out of redwood that I finished for a custumer.
its 5'5 feet

[ Edited by: NOTCH 2009-02-14 18:15 ]

Right on braddah Notch. Can we get more light on the image?

K

Kool!

N
NOTCH posted on Fri, Feb 13, 2009 5:46 PM

On 2009-02-13 16:02, Jungle Trader wrote:
Right on braddah Notch. Can we get more light on the image?

Hey JT,
I will try to post more picture's tomorrow before I ship it

S

Great carve you have that chain saw well under control.

BD

wow! i am so looking forward to seeing that moai completed. the grain is outstanding. great work notch.

bd

N
NOTCH posted on Sun, Feb 15, 2009 2:34 PM

Thanks Yall,
I'm waitin on the rays of sunshine to cast at my shop so I can take sum better photos of the new Tiki
and to finish the Moai carving that sittin in me backyard....

come-on sunshine!

Hey Notch, if you stand the tiki against a darker background than the previous image your tiki might be more visible. The cam "sees" the lighter background and automatically adjusts for it, thus the subject is less visible. Also you could manually adjust your aperture to allow more light in AND use flash. That might work. As for the rain, you could be waiting a long time. I'm getting a little stir-crazy with all this rain, but we need it.

C

Great!!

Notch, yer a chainsaw maniac. Nice work! Hook me up with a log so I can start murdering some wood.

Hey now!

Man I had no idea you carved, beautiful work, i was wondering why it has been so long since you had put out a new mug

Hey Notch, Looks like you ain't no rookie! B.E.A.utiful! I think I added you to my Myspace not too long ago. The wife & I are going to Viva Las Vegas this year, without a car though. We're flyin' in. That's your Tiki bar, right? Will you be out there? I just signed up here. Let me know! Maybe we'll se ya! Late...Trev

What I love is that you managed to get the old full-body style of the Hawaiian tikis done. Many chainsaw carvers don't, but you not only manage it, you EXCELL in it. Awesome work!

Aloha!

Marcus

N
NOTCH posted on Tue, Mar 3, 2009 7:03 AM

Big thanks ya guys
I will be at las Vegas with kubar and bringin mugs for sale with some Tiki T shirts but,
No new mugs yet but I do have some that are coming out soon... I've been at my underground layer working on cars, trying to build the foundation for a bitchin Hot Rod Shop.. Lots of hours I tell ya!
I will post a new thread on the new mug soon
=Notch=

Pages: 1 44 replies