Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Are these places in the UK touched by Tiki?

Pages: 1 7 replies

This is probably a horribly dull post for the majority of Tiki Centralites, but I've been doing a little research to see if there are any hidden Tiki bars in the UK, and all the following might be worth taking a look at. I wouldn't venture too far out of the way to visit any of them, but if any Brits find themselves in the area of any of these, please take a look and report back. Perhaps there's a gem hidden there.

TIKIS/53
OLD BETHNAL GREEN ROAD
LONDON
MIDDLESEX
E2 6QA

TRADER JOES/325
HOPE STREET
GLASGOW
LANARKSHIRE
G2 3PT

BEACHCOMBER BAR
MACHRIHANISH
CAMPBELTOWN
ARGYLL
ARGYLLSHIRE
PA28 6PT

HAWAIIAN EYE CAFE/137
PROMENADE
CLEETHORPES
SOUTH HUMBERSIDE
LINCOLNSHIRE
DN35 8SE

TRADER JACKS RESTAURANT
STRAND ROAD
PORT ERIN
ISLE OF MAN
IM9 6HB

HAWAIIAN WINE BAR & SINGAPORE ORCHID RESTAURANT/19
DUKE STREET
READING
BERKSHIRE
RG1 4SA

And after all that, there's the
BALI-HAI CARE HOME/14-16
SOUTHBOURNE GROVE
WESTCLIFF-ON-SEA
ESSEX
SS0 9UR

Good luck,

Trader Woody

Dang, Trader Woody, that looks like enough to make it worthy of a road trip from America! I'd love to do my own personal research on each and every spot (Lincolnshire - whodathunkit? Maybe the Lincoln Imp is really a tiny tiki that just doesn't happen to look very tiki-like? And the Isle of Man? Are you kidding? How random a spot is that for a tiki bar!)

That Hawaiian Eye Cafe sounds intriguing. Did that show ever run in Britain?

Bali Hai Care Home? I always said never put me in a nursing home, but if there were cute nurses in grass skirts and I washed my pills down with Mai Tais, maybe I could hack it!

Hey Formikahini ,thanks for your enthusiasm! Yeah, the concept of a lonely Tiki bar in
some of these places is pretty far-fetched, but there's always the possibility that an old sea-dog gathered up his collection of Polynesian artifacts and put them in his bar in the middle of nowhere!

Bigbro, I hadn't thought Hawaiian Eye was ever shown here, but it turns out that at least some of the episodes were broadcast in 1963, a few months after they were shown on TV in the US. That gets my Tiki senses tingling - if the show was only aired in 1963, perhaps the Hawaiian Eye cafe is also from that era.....

Trader Woody

Trader Woody,

Would you be interested in jointly checking out any of these places (that aren't too far afield from either London or Oxford) some time in the near future?

Or perhaps just trying to arrange another tiki outing of some sort?

Any other Brits/Euros interested?

Aloha,
Tiki Chris

Yes, it feels like far too long since the last meet-up of the UK Tiki-Centralites.

I'm not too sure if it's really worth making the effort to visit any of these places above unless anyone happens to be in the area, as they could very easily be Tiki by name only. I guess my next step with these is to try and phone them, and ask them
what kind of places they run.

As for meeting up, I'm easy - It's been a while since we all went to Trader
Vic's, there's that rum bar in Brixton which could be worth sampling, or perhaps
a little crawl of London's finest bars. I guess it's almost a year since "Tiki's & Ale" in Oxford, so we could always do that again.

Trader Woody

On 2003-01-28 08:00, Trader Woody wrote:

I'm not too sure if it's really worth making the effort to visit any of these places above unless anyone happens to be in the area, as they could very easily be Tiki by name only. I guess my next step with these is to try and phone them, and ask them
what kind of places they run.

i found (scarce little) info about the HAWAIIAN EYE CAFÉ in CLEETHORPES at this site:

http://www.knowhere.co.uk/581_eatdrink.html

here's what it had to say:

The Hawaiian eye in cleethorpes staff are all very plesent. Catering for all ages . The Boss has just won the lottery and if you mention that you have seen us on the internet you will recieve a free breakfast! This is a favourate spot for tourists or comforts as we call them ( Com'fort day! )

i'll try to think of some ideas about getting together (haven't been to vic's in awhile). equally important, i'll try to figure out some available dates.

later,
chris

Pages: 1 7 replies