Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

HB_Tiki - Colin's (aka Chet) carvings

Pages: 1 32 replies

H

My first attempt at tiki carving was at the February San Diego Chop Chop. I need to say thanks to 4wdtiki (Bill) and Clysdalle (Dave) for the help in every aspect. As I started this one I noticed that I wasn't going nearly deep enough and eventually (after asking Dave if I was just being a wuss) started hammering away at it. This is the result of that.

My second attempt was at the March San Diego Chop Chop. Again I need to thank everyone for the help. I just burned and sanded this one for highlights last night.

I am completely hooked and can't wait to get more logs to start chipping away at.

Thanks for looking.

Colin aka Chet

[ Edited by: HB_Tiki 2007-03-15 23:50 ]

[ Edited by: HB_Tiki 2007-03-16 15:20 ]

[ Edited by: HB_Tiki 2007-03-25 10:51 ]

[ Edited by: HB_Tiki 2007-09-15 23:21 ]

[ Edited by: HB_Tiki 2007-09-15 23:22 ]

H

Nice first and second. Good job on the full body too. It's good to be hooked. Welcome to TC!

B

Hey Colin-Looking good! I would say to keep it up, but I have the feeling that you are already hooked. Room for one moooooore!

See ya at the next Chop.

Very nice first and second attempts! I haven't tried carving wood yet. Maybe in the future, keep it up, you have the ability!

Amy

B

Definitelt Excellent first 2 tikis. Keep this up and you're gonna be a Star. i Love it!

ST

At this point I'm giving props to anyone willing to throw caution to the wind as makw something and have it critiqued by this forum. In your case I give you two thumbs up. I am scared it death of trying actual relief carving, so for now I think I will stick to my profiles thank-you very much.

H

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I hope to get some tools and some logs this weekend. Then it will be chopping time. :D

H

Here is a progress pic of #3.

I love your stuff! It's very......"natural"...looking. Keeping the bark on and all that jazz. Great stuff, man, keep up the great work!!

Any progress pics of #2? :wink:

H

On 2007-03-25 11:56, 4WDtiki wrote:
Any progress pics of #2? :wink:

Ah yes....

Here is #2 drying after a thin single coat of Spar Varnish in 4WDtiki's driveway. I'll get some better pics of it when the sun decides to come back out. :(

What you can't really see is the nice deep brown color and the rich black (burned areas) the varnish gave it. The single coat also kept it from being super glossy, which I like.

B

Looking Gooder and Gooder and # 3 is looking great too! Keep it up and you will continue to see better results with each new piece!

H

Thank you Benzart. I'm hoping that they keep getting gooder. :)

Here is #2 stained in the sunlight.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Mar 27, 2007 8:53 PM

On 2007-03-27 05:32, Benzart wrote:
Looking Gooder and Gooder

Yeh, your carvings are getting better, unlike Benz's grammar :D

H

Since I can't make the San Diego Chop Chop tomorrow, I decided to start one today.

I got my own "tools" now too. I bought an electric 14" chainsaw, a flat chisels set ranging from .5" - 1.5" and an angle grinder with sanding fiber discs. :D

Here are some progress pics:

First time with the chainsaw, I was a little nervous.

Still not done, but this is how far I got. I hope to work on it more Sunday. The sunlight is making the eyes look uneven too, it's not ( I hope :) ).

Thanks for looking.

[ Edited by: HB_Tiki 2007-04-07 00:25 ]

ST

Dude, your stuff is looking good. One problem though...I hate to sound like the safety dork (which is what I am professionaly) but leave the guard on your grinder. Please read through the safety thread started by Loki. I know that safety stuff is not cool and is is easier to work without it but all it takes is one incident and you're screwed. I've been a member here for like 2 years now and in that time have seen some nasty injuries that could have been easily prevented.

H

Thank you for the concern Surf. I'll read through that thread.

I think I'm finished with the carving part of this one. I need to wait to burn it as the log is still a little damp.

I took this shot to show the difference in color with a thin single coat of Spar Varnish.

M
mieko posted on Mon, Apr 9, 2007 11:23 AM

Nice work Colin!! Missed you at the Chop this month, I'm glad to see you ventured out on your own! I really love this last guy of yours, especially how you left the hair on, and how well proportioned he looks.

H

Thanks meiko. I was bummed about missing the chop too. There was soo much planned and from viewing the results of that thread, I see I missed out on some good stuff. (especially the spam musubi :) )

Hopefully I can make next months.

H

So I was going to burn and varnish this thing today, but Huntington Beach, Costa Mesa, Fountain Valley and Santa Ana must not import Spar Varnish... :( Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware and a couple mom & pop hardware stores, didn't have any at all.

So I just ended up burning it and the varnish will have to wait. Here are a couple pics.

H

Here is a pic of the last one when I dropped it off with it's new owner. We met at Pismo Beach to go 4 wheelin'.

B

Lookin Good HB, Don't stop now!

H

I've done two since I last updated this.

This first one was a wedding present and now resides in Chico, CA

This one I started yesterday at the SoCal Chop Chop and finished today.

Thanks for looking. :)

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Sep 9, 2007 9:21 PM

Nice one, Colin! I see a definite style developing, especially with your last two carvings. Like 'em!

B

More excellent tikis HB, Keep posting and sharing. Post more progress shots too if you can find the time, I know it's hard. You've come a long way in a short time and we want to see how you do it. Thanks.

Nice stuff! I'm curious though, what's the "chop shop" all about? A place to go and carve? Cost? Open all the time? Whatzzzzzup??!

I love this Tiki........

Great inspiration........he looks deep in thought.

On 2007-09-10 17:38, surfintiki wrote:
Nice stuff! I'm curious though, what's the "chop shop" all about? A place to go and carve? Cost? Open all the time? Whatzzzzzup??!

surfin, that's "chop chop", as in San Diego Chop Chops. We all meet once a month to carve, talk, eat, and drink. No cost, open to all, so fly on out! Look for threads in the California Events forum.

That's sweet! I am pondering moving west, Oceanside to be specific! But I've been yapping about that for a while...maybe this spring.
Chop Chop would be perrrrfect.

H

Thanks guys. I've got one more piece about the same size as the last one, but after that I'm stuck with no logs for the moment. I need to find somewhere by me that I can get some from. I've been lucky so far with the help of 4WDtiki and Buzzy for the logs I've carved so far.

Benzart, I agree about "during" pics, but once I get in the zone it's hard to stop to take a pic. I get distracted way too easily. :P

I'll try to get some on the next one. :D

S

Right on HB, Tiki's are looking great. Im also a newbee, Im one tiki behind you.
I have been lurking at tiki central for a few weeks what a great sight.

T

Luv the tikis man! The design and the finish are very vintage looking. What color stain are u using?

H

On 2007-09-28 08:46, TheBigT wrote:
Luv the tikis man! The design and the finish are very vintage looking. What color stain are u using?

Sorry for the delay, I'm been out of town since Thursday.

The finish is Man O' War Marine Spar Varnish (Satin)

Pages: 1 32 replies