Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Gonna Vomit...The Jam's START! Being used to sell Caddies

Pages: 1 14 replies

C'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did the idiot who decided to use that song ever look into the politics and ideology of Paul Weller?

Holy crap! I just heard that and thought to myself "Paul Weller would NEVER approve!" Of course, I was driving my caddie at the time, but that's besides the point!

Thats not as bad as the Jam reunion tour without Mr weller..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6376477.stm

On 2007-03-16 21:59, TikiGardener wrote:
C'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did the idiot who decided to use that song ever look into the politics and ideology of Paul Weller?

Or Beatle Boots!!!

I was more of a bowling shoes/ desert boots kinda guy! (did own a nice pair of cuban heels when I was hanging at the Cavern Club seeing DJ Lee in a past life!)

On 2007-03-17 12:41, atomictonytiki wrote:
Thats not as bad as the Jam reunion tour without Mr weller..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6376477.stm

I guess Mssrs Foxton and Buckler didn't invest to wisely... Maybe they shoulda invested in Cadillac...

[ Edited by: tikigardener 2007-03-19 19:51 ]

I think they're also using "Sunny Side of the Street" by the Pogues:
"So I saw that train
And I got on it
With a heartful of hate
And a lust for vomit
Now Im walking on the sunnyside of the street"

I love the Jam and I sell Cadillacs, so I think it's just fine. Now we need another
Caddie commercial with the Clash....

The Clash already entered the commercial fest when they allowed "Should I Stay or Should I Go" to be used for a Levi's commercial. Subject of a Billy Childish cover by THE STASH caled "SHOULD I SUCK OR SHOULD I BLOW?"

And that frikkin Dennis Hopper going on in his faux hipster jive talk voice about DREAMS...

As to Caddies... They stopped being anything I would want to own in about the late 1950's. Since then they've been style-less cabin cruiser sized shoe boxes on wheels. Maybe if they went back and found classic caddie design and updated it a la what Ford did with the Mustang or what the Challenger is going to look like, and they might have something.

But your mileage may vary...

On 2007-03-17 20:47, RevBambooBen wrote:

On 2007-03-16 21:59, TikiGardener wrote:

Or Beatle Boots!!!

I don't think that there is one picture of Weller in "Beatle Boots". Now are you referring to Chelsea Boots? And are you referring to "Cuban Heals"? Or flat heels?
Now do we want center seamed (where there is a seam running over the top of the foot all the way to the toe?) Or "Winklepickers"? Where there is a seam that goes across the top of the arch from side to side?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Boot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winklepicker

But then again they could get the Lenningrad Cowboys...

I wonder is Shane McGowan ever vomited in a Cadillac?

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail 2007-04-24 10:30 ]

I think the question is "is there anything Shane McGowan hasn't vomited into?"

On 2007-03-25 10:45, TikiGardener wrote:
...Subject of a Billy Childish cover by THE STASH caled "SHOULD I SUCK OR SHOULD I BLOW?"...

WOW! Billy's name cropping up on TC! Never thought that'd happen? But then again isn't that the beauty of all the cross 'Polynation' that goes on here? You betcha!! Thanks TikiGardner! You've reminded me...I must go check out his new(ish) band, I haven't seen him in years.

Trader Jim - Make mine a MILKSHAKE!

On 2007-05-19 06:26, POCKETIKI wrote:

...Subject of a Billy Childish cover by THE STASH caled "SHOULD I SUCK OR SHOULD I BLOW?"...

WOW! Billy's name cropping up on TC! Never thought that'd happen? But then again isn't that the beauty of all the cross 'Polynation' that goes on here? You betcha!! Thanks TikiGardner! You've reminded me...I must go check out his new(ish) band, I haven't seen him in years.

Trader Jim - Make mine a MILKSHAKE!

A Mighty Mighty Milkshake!

The Milkshakes are always on heavy heavy rotation in the Gardener household. Have been for nigh on twenty years now.

And the other cover they did on The Clash was "We're Selling Jeans in the U.S.A"
Sung to the tune of "I'm So Bored With the U.S.A".

The Clash already entered the commercial fest when they allowed "Should I Stay or Should I Go" to be used for a Levi's commercial."

A few years ago I read in a Joe Strummer interview that The Clash dont own any of their songs b/c they signed away the rights in the recording contract. He was regretting that "punks dont read contracts." So the band probably had no say about the commercial.

Pages: 1 14 replies