Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

grand theft tiki!! ....elviki birdhouse rip-off!!

Pages: 1 2 57 replies

T

Target 'Tiki Bar' being recall ... Granny is going to be pissed !!!!!

On 2007-03-23 09:10, Sophista-tiki wrote:
Tipsy is right, I would think that if someone is marketing a product that's an obvious rip- off, and they're making piles of $ it might be worth the fight, but usually its not. Ive had things I designed and had manufactured in China. be ripped off by Target. Myself and a couple of other artists started a company called Party Partners, we did vintage style party favors. When we would do the international gift shows in NY the Target people would come by our booth all the time, we would do our best to keep them out, but eventually PARTY PARTS showed up in Target, using the exact style of our packaging and our signature color combination, it was a blatant rip off, I don't think anything was ever done about it. Ive also seen the smaller scale of rip-offs like with my felt Christmas stockings. and Ive even seen stuff I have made being sold on eBay as vintage. I've always at the very least tried to tell as many people as possible about these incidents. dawn

..sometimes all you can do is get the word out and make folks aware...which incidentally was the main reason i started this thread, aside from trying to get info on the subject of the birdhouse item in question....

Buzzy Out!

...now this is an awesome example......I do not have a problem with this and do not consider it a violation and here's why. (as far as i know) the carver here is not calling this tiki elviki..and if he is, it doesn't appear to be carved on the tiki itself. secondly, this sculpt is radically different from and looks nothing like the actual elviki cartoon character by cindy crowell. And third, it looks nothing like my particular sculpt/ representation on elviki, the one we all know and love..

....this is simply a tiki with bad hair......

sorry buzzy...you probably where hoping i would hit the roof over this....perhaps next time.

On 2007-04-25 16:39, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

sorry buzzy...you probably where hoping i would hit the roof over this....perhaps next time.

I was getting tires on my truck today and I saw this tiki next door. Just happened to have my camera and a half hour to kill. Just made me think of this thread, is all. Besides, there is some super entertaining roof hitting going on on TC today. Wouldn't even think of posting anything inflammatory on such a fine day as this. I'll come back when there is another cry for a shot in the arm.
Take care,

Buzzy Out!

On 2007-04-25 16:50, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

On 2007-04-25 16:39, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

I was getting tires on my truck today and I saw this tiki next door. Just happened to have my camera and a half hour to kill. Just made me think of this thread, is all. Besides, there is some super entertaining roof hitting going on on TC today. Wouldn't even think of posting anything inflammatory on such a fine day as this. I'll come back when there is another cry for a shot in the arm.
Take care,

Buzzy Out!

i wanna read about roof hitting!! where!!.....tell me what thread.

On 2007-03-23 09:10, Sophista-tiki wrote:

Ive had things I designed and had manufactured in China. be ripped off by Target.

Picking the right manufacturer in China can be a real headache. While it's only worth the paper it's written on, stating directly in your agreement with the factory that they must destroy any rejected finished products and that they will manufature a given design for you exclusively is a step in the right direction. Also, Tipsy is correct about getting U.S. Customs to block importation of copyrighted designs... and if a Chinese factory can't sell in the U.S., they won't bother to make it.

-Z

...pops head up...

I'm looking to copyright an idea. This seemed like a good thread to find someone who might have info on how to do that. Please PM me if you think you can help.

Mahalo,
~T

..ducks back down...

P

copyrights don't protect ideas. you need a patent for that.

hehe, real question from the FAQ of http://www.copyright.gov:

How do I protect my sighting of Elvis?

Copyright law does not protect sightings. However, copyright law will protect your photo (or other depiction) of your sighting of Elvis. Just send it to us with a Form VA application and the filing fee. No one can lawfully use your photo of your sighting, although someone else may file his own photo of his sighting. Copyright law protects the original photograph, not the subject of the photograph.

[ Edited by: pdrake 2007-04-26 10:31 ]

patents are for processes and widgets....if you come up with a new way to make fertilizer or a better mouse trap, you would get a patent, not a copyright....copyrights are for visual arts as they are usually in stationary form.....go to the library of congress website and you will have all theinfo you need...it's worth the $30 filing fee to get a copyright certificate...in case you ever need to dispute a claim.....

Pages: 1 2 57 replies