Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Ziricote Moai Pendant

Pages: 1 5 replies

Here he is, all finished up. There are a few coats of Krylon clear on him and it really brought out the gorgeous color of the wood. Ziricote is very strange to carve. The light colored wood is like a normal hard wood. The dark colored wood is a deep, rich purple swirl and is hard as nails. The weird thing about the dark wood is that despite being so hard, it was very oily and almost sticky. So if you carved or sanded in the direction of dark wood to light, you left dark purple streaks on the light parts that had to be sanded off. The smell of the wood is heavenly when you carve it. It smells like some kind of Indian incense.

I should also add that the Ziricote wood was a very generous gift to me from Benzart. Ben was looking over my shoulder a lot on this one. The first time I thought he was finished, Ben said,"Wow, Finky, that looks great! Have you got a pencil?". :lol: Two times after that he wouldn't let me finish either.
Here he is:

I'm asking $125 for him.

Thank you everyone who has helped and supported me, it means a ton!

Nice piece! You are really getting good....

Amy

Thanks Amy! That means a lot comming from you. :)

B

Finky, you did Well with that piece of wood, I Am proud of how it came out. I wonder who the lucky person will be who gets this guy? :) :) :)

K
Kitty posted on Thu, Mar 22, 2007 7:00 AM

Having seen some of Finkdaddy's work up close and personal, I can only say that the person who buys this pendant will NOT be disappointed. The detail is intricate and photos can't begin to do justice to his pieces.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Mar 22, 2007 4:45 PM

Agreed! I love my bone Fink-tang. I can only imagine how sweet this guy looks and feels in person. Somebody's gonna be crazy happy with this one.....

-G

Pages: 1 5 replies