Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trader Mort's Liquor Store

Pages: 1 10 replies

A

Martiki and his lovely wife Rebecca visited San Diego recently, we all went down to Shelter Island. I got some cool pics of Trader Mort's

Trader Mort, Hisself

TM Tiki

All the doors have "Warclub Handles"

Beachcomber lamps

The Big Tiki from Bamboo Ben's Uncle.
Trader Morts is more Tiki than most Tiki Bars. When you go be sure to check out upstairs. They have a huge Kava Bowl and some other cool Tiki stuff.

Cool pics, Al. (Eli is my Grandfather.) Next time I'm in S.D. I'm definitely checking it out. Hey, if you are at Trader Morts in the near future, talk to them about the possibility of trading out Eli's piece. I'd make something else to replace it and for you, my friend, I would be willing to trade 1 Witco barstool for my Grandfather's tiki. How much dust is on those lamps? 1/4 inch? 1/2 inch?

M

Al-

Thanks for keeping the drunken xmas tree pictures from later in the evening under wraps!

-martin

M

Al-

Thanks for keeping the drunken xmas tree pictures from later in the evening under wraps!

-martin

I must be totally bobo. I've been to Trader Mort's 3 or 4 times & I never noticed an upstairs (or didn't think it was open to customers). The last time I was there (just after X-mas) the guy behind the counter didn't seem to know any more about the place than I did, and I was in a hurry to get to the Bali Hai so we did a whirlwind tour. I must revisit & take a closer look. It's a beautiful, sunny day here in S.D. today, just perfect for jumping in the old convertible and taking a cruise down to Shelter Island.

E

Man, Shelter Island, wotta mecca for tikiphiles! Mort's is now one more place to visit when we go visit my brother-in-law in San Diego.

And speaking of S.D., can anyone tell me anything about an alleged establishment called just plain "The Tiki Bar"?

thanx,
emspace.

Em, not sure if you meant in SD but, there's a place in Costa Mesa, CA called 'The Tiki Bar' but the only thing tiki about it is the name.

E

Hmm, my bro-in-law said in Diego. I'm beginning to think he meant some place he used to go to...he said he'd send me a packet of memorabilia from the place, but I think he's forgetten. We'll have to make the visit, and I'll ask him...

But the main thing will be Bali Hai, Mort's, and pics of the Half Moon Inn!

em (completely valid nickname, I'll be using it a lot, but it is a lowercase "e" like in eminem - NO relation)

There is a place that's called The Tiki (bar) in Pacific Beach on Garnett (sp?) Ave.
It has some Tiki's, and it has live music, sometimes by surf bands like Surf Report. The place unfortunately doesn't serve Tiki drinks, it only has a beer & wine license.

Hope this helps
Ran

I recall hearing that the big tiki out front with torches(god bless them they keep them lit)had been stolen. I assume it's back. I should cruise down there, I'm not far away.

Capt. Ambience
I was in Trader Mort's the other night to pick up a bottle of Arrogant Bastard Ale("hated by many...loved by few"). I was talking to the cashier about the big tiki & he told me it had been stolen and reported in the San Diego Union Tribune along with a plea for its safe return. He said the tiki showed up a couple of days later dumped in the parking lot, unharmed. Some folks think the thieves felt guilty and returned it, I think the Menehunes brought it back.

Pages: 1 10 replies