Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

WORLD'S LARGEST LAVA LAMP (fingers crossed)

Pages: 1 12 replies

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/01/14/offbeat.lava.lamp.reut/index.html

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2003-01-15 03:19 ]

Brilliant idea!
(But I hope the end result isn't built slap in the middle of the road)

Perhaps the Tiki Gardens statue could be enlarged by 20x to create business in the local area?

Trader Woody

T

I think it's funny that some people there are worried that Hippies may just sit there for hours.

On 2003-01-15 06:34, Turbogod wrote:
I think it's funny that some people there are worried that Hippies may just sit there for hours.

giant lava lamp or not - one must remain ever vigilant lest hippies one day come & "just sit for hours" in your community too!

Apparently it WILL be in the middle of the road.

It looks like those 3 hippies have been there all day!

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2003-01-15 11:44 ]

damn hippies!

S

I have to wonder how possible this is. I mean, the physics of a small lamp are easy, but for the huge one to work, you have to have a whole differnt approach. The wax blobs would still be the same size, not beach ball sized. The liquid would cool the balls quickly and they would likely drop back down after floating up maybe a foot. All in all, it just is not likely to work. I want to see even a 2 foot lava lamp. I bet it would not work well either. 60 feet, no way!

I ssaw one of the BIG (not quite 3 feet) ones in a store called Dapy on Universal City walk a few years ago. It worked ok, but the water was kind of murky and dirty looking. I have the 52 oz. lamp, very cool and lava-ee.

On 2003-01-16 10:18, Swanky wrote:
I have to wonder how possible this is. I mean, the physics of a small lamp are easy, but for the huge one to work, you have to have a whole differnt approach. The wax blobs would still be the same size, not beach ball sized. The liquid would cool the balls quickly and they would likely drop back down after floating up maybe a foot. All in all, it just is not likely to work. I want to see even a 2 foot lava lamp. I bet it would not work well either. 60 feet, no way!

Somehow I can imagine Thor Heyerdahl receiving a similar lecture about balsa rafts. :)

The tiki gods expect you to do your part:
Help Raise a Tiki at Tiki Gardens!

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-01-16 13:13 ]

D

Great news, all you hippies and hipsters!!

Giant Lava Lamp Approved!

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Soap Lake to spend $100,000 to install lava lamp

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SOAP LAKE -- The Soap Lake City Council has agreed to allocate $100,000 in tourism money for installation of the town's 50-foot-tall lava lamp.

The council rejected the measure last week, but Monday approved spending nearly half the $206,000 in tourism-account funds to install the 52,000-pound lamp.

"We needed to warm to the idea," said Councilman Barney Berg, who changed his vote.

The lamp was donated to Soap Lake in 2004 by Target Corp., which had used it in a display in New York City's Times Square. The dismantled novelty item has been stored in an Ephrata warehouse since its arrival from the East about a year ago.

The city donated land for the lamp last week.

Supporters of the project hope the lamp will be in place by early summer.

People used to travel to this town of about 1,275 people -- 150 miles east of Seattle and 110 miles west of Spokane -- to take mineral waters and coat themselves with healing mud.

The waters aren't the draw they once were, and lamp supporters hope it will rekindle tourism.

"As of noon on Saturday January 22, 2005, the Target 50 foot Giant Lava Lamp remains attached to Times Square Building in New York City."

another article
** if the pictures dont show up, look here**
pretty exciting.. i'm willing to drive 100 miles east to see this!

[ Edited by: dogbytes 2006-01-27 09:57 ]

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jan 27, 2006 6:13 AM

Cool - lava lamps!

cough Here dude...just passin' it...cough

Pages: 1 12 replies