Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Mai Tai and Coco Loco laying siege to Southern CA for a crazy kind of cookoo week 3/25 - 4/1

Pages: 1 35 replies

MT

Lock up your liquor cabinets!!! Coco Loco and I are headin' down to Southern CA for a week of debauchery. We're actually leaving today (Sunday) in just a few minutes. Gonna swing by Junge Trader's on the way down to pick up his tickets for that Enchanted Tiki Room event next Saturday.

After much procrastination, our fly-by-the-pants last minute flexible schedule is the following. We plan on going to Disneyland on Monday and Tuesday, Tiki Ti on Wednesday, most likely hitting the Hollywood area on Thursday (no real defined plans for Thursday yet - maybe Damon's for lunch and Trader Vic's for dinner), Tiki Taix on Friday, and The Enchanted Tiki Room Event at the Holiday Inn on Saturday plus Disneyland with the whole gang and room parties that night! We're really looking forward to this week, and the chance to hang out with some of the Hoity Toitys!!!

If anyone has any recommendations on sights to see, or if ya wanna hook up, feel free to PM us, and I'll send you my cell phone number. I will have my laptop with me, and will check PM's daily.

"It's Mai Tai. It's out of this world." - Victor Jules Bergeron Jr.

[ Edited by: Mai Tai 2007-03-25 17:05 ]

MT

Does anyone know if Tiki Taix is still going on this Friday March 30th? I haven't seen any posts on Tiki Central about it, and I haven't received any e-mail messages about it for this month either?

Also, we'd love to hit the Tonga Hut Tiki Night on Saturday, but we are already going to the Tiki Room event. We'll try to squeeze that one in if possible.

When Bill says lock up your liquor cabinets, he's not kidding. His name,........is Mai Tai!! No drinking in Disneyland, Bill, I know your secrets.
Have fun!!!

Cool!

I'm looking forward to seeing you Wednesday.

WooHoo! Can't wait to see you two :)

On 2007-03-25 17:38, Jungle Trader wrote:
No drinking in Disneyland,

However they do have a little bar at California Adventure - right over the Little Mermaid restaurant. Bring your ETR Dole Whip over and mix it with a little rum for added Disney delight.

On 2007-03-25 19:38, BettyBleu wrote:

However they do have a little bar at California Adventure - right over the Little Mermaid restaurant. Bring your ETR Dole Whip over and mix it with a little rum for added Disney delight.

BettyBleu, you read my mind!!! it's a great place to have a cocktail and watch the rollercoaster!!! Hmm......Maybe I'll have to meet them Monday or Tuesday!!!

Hey Mai Tai...maybe you can find a store down there that sells the new Reef Sandals....Each sandal has a 3oz flask in the heel......Disneyland could truly be the ''happiest'' place on earth...Have a safe trip..Does this mean Northern California can now unlock their liquor cabinets?

You betcha! Martiki is even leaving the back door to forbidden Island open now....

RG

On 2007-03-25 19:38, BettyBleu wrote:

Besides the obvious places in downtown disney, there's also a little bar over at the hotel called the Lost Bar that I've always liked. I've closed that place down a few times listening to some pretty good rock and roll. One night I was like the only person there and every time I got up from my table, they'd come and take my drink no matter how full. Then I'd go complain and they'd give me a new one. I met the Anaheim police that night :) they were surprisingly professional and polite in spite of where they discovered my stupid drunk ass at 2am. The Lost Bar used to be my refuge from the disney deluge before they opened California adventure. I haven't been to any bar in CA as yet but I think I'll be down there soon, I'll have to check that out. Nothing better than disneyland with a good buzz on.

I know it's anathema here but the Rainforest Cafe mixes some pretty wicked fruity concoctions. I like their Panama Punch. If you can stand the decor long enough to drink a couple you'll be trying to ride the elephants. If you meet the Anaheim police, tell 'em Griz says hi!

MT

On 2007-03-26 11:56, Haole'akamai wrote:
You betcha! Martiki is even leaving the back door to forbidden Island open now....

Does that mean that the, ahem, back door is no longer forbidden? :o

M

On 2007-03-26 11:56, Haole'akamai wrote:

Not with The Jab still around.

Ray's Mistake versus Boxing workout tonight.
Ding Ding Ding -- the winner by TKO is a Ray's Mistake!
I'll see ya there!

MT

Schweeeeet!!! We'll see ya at the Tiki Ti tonight!

MT

We're having a great time down in SoCal. Hung out with Al and had lunch at Disneyland yesterday. Braved that stormy blustery weather, and still had a great time! Toughing out the bad weather meant no waiting in line! We're heading out to Hollywood right now - next stop, The Tiki Ti!!! :D

MA

Hey Mai Tai, glad your havin a ball down hea in the southern regions. Cant wait to meet you & Coco Loco at da ting Sat! Will you be the one wearin the bamboo lampshade, or will that be Coco???...................Remy

MT

It's quite possible that we'll both be wearin' the bamboo lampshade! :blush:

MT

Whoooo-eeeeee, the Tiki Ti was great! Wait, that underdescribes it. How about superfantabulous?!? Yeah, that's it! It's gonna be hard to finish off their menu, but I put a good dent in it last night. Geez, after consuming 3 Ray's Mistakes, a Nui Nui, a Cobra's Fang, a Mai Tai, an Uga Booga, and a Blood and Sand, and part of Coco Loco's Bayanihan (and whatever else she didn't finish), I was pretty much done. Needless to say, it was pretty hard getting up this morning.

Mike Sr. and Mike Jr. were the most gracious of hosts, and their mixology skills can't be beat. I wore my Forbidden Island shirt there, to represent East Bay style, and it was a conversation starter, especially with the 2 Mikes. I also met Rasta Jim, and he encouraged me to have his Jim's special, but that will have to wait until my next visit.

We had a fantasic time boozing it up with the Hoity Toities, including PiPhiRho, Bora Boris, CheekyGirl, and Tiki Diablo and Stephanie. Good times indeed, and some great photos that I'll post later after I erase Tiki Diablo out of some of them. :)

Next stop, Trader Vic's Beverly Hills!!! We're going to be there sometime around 6:30ish or so. I've made a reservation for a party of 6 - 8 at 7:00pm, so if anyone wants to join us, feel free to come on down!

8+ drinks! I can't believe you were still able to stand on your feet!

J

On 2007-03-29 17:41, CheekyGirl wrote:
8+ drinks! I can't believe you were still able to stand on your feet!

Then you don't know Mai Tai as well as you thought you did!

Mai Tai and I each ordered a Shingle Stain which I didn't know wasn't on the Beverly Hills Trader Vic's menu so when they made them for us I felt like a Big Shot.

Then I started slurring my words.

P

Hope you weren't planning on the obligatory tourist photo with the Hollywood sign today. You might have noticed we were staging some special effects up in the Hollywood hills this afternoon.

:wink:

CL

That was SO MUCH fun!!! What a great week. The Hoity Toitys were so welcoming. Maholos to everyone who joined us in our rolling party. Memories...Boris, what a trooper. Every night man. Tiki Diablo nearly keeping up with Mai Tai in Tiki Ti beverage consumption. Much fun and laughter with CheekyGirl and Stephanie. Wonderful meeting PiPhiRho. BH Trader Vics and Canters Deli in one night! Great times with Al-ii at Disneyland, TikiTaix, and the Saturday Enchanted Tiki Room event and after party. Many of us wearing our Enchanted Tiki Room host and hostess outfits...Talking our way into Disneyland to ride the Enchanted Tiki room attraction together...Great meeting and hanging with Bigtikidude, Tiffany, Zulumagoo, Hau 'oli Tiki, Soccer Tiki and Woohoo, TikiCutie, and great seeing Tiki Kate! Got to see King Kukalele, performing with Crazy Al! And my anyone else my alcohol fogged brain (yes, Nor Cal, I broke my no-alcohol status -- Tiki Ti was my downfall :wink:) may have missed...Wow, so much fun spending time with each and all of you. Maholo!

CL

Did that a million years ago...but wondering, what happened to the sign? Did they blow it up. :D

On 2007-03-30 16:31, PremEx wrote:
Hope you weren't planning on the obligatory tourist photo with the Hollywood sign today. You might have noticed we were staging some special effects up in the Hollywood hills this afternoon.

CL

Did that a million years ago...but wondering, what happened to the sign? Did they blow it up. :D

On 2007-03-30 16:31, PremEx wrote:

Hey great meeting you guys too, your super cool.

I was kinda hesitant at first, as I didnt know you, but I thought that wasn't very Ohana of me :wink:

Hope to make it up for the FI anniv.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Pics? Pics? Have you rested up enough to post your pics yet???

It was great to see you guys again, Glad you had fun! And since were on a road trip this weekend hope to see you at F.I. Friday night!

MA

Hey everyone, thought I would chime in here as well. It was great seein you all at the Tiki Room event! I thiiiinnnkkk I met both [all?] of you. I'm still tryin to figure out who was wearin the bamboo lampshade?? Bigtikidude, ya shoulda come ova & said aloha. Hope you all liked the Agents, we had a blast! Thanks for puttin up with us. Catch yall down da road!......Remy

MT

On 2007-04-05 12:49, Hinano_Paul wrote:
It was great to see you guys again, Glad you had fun! And since were on a road trip this weekend hope to see you at F.I. Friday night!

Yep, hope to see you there tonight. We're heading over there in just a few minutes!

On 2007-04-05 13:59, Mouse Art wrote:
Hey everyone, thought I would chime in here as well. It was great seein you all at the Tiki Room event! I thiiiinnnkkk I met both [all?] of you. I'm still tryin to figure out who was wearin the bamboo lampshade?? Bigtikidude, ya shoulda come ova & said aloha. Hope you all liked the Agents, we had a blast! Thanks for puttin up with us. Catch yall down da road!......Remy

I was the guy in the green Tiki Room host shirt (har!). Actually, I was the guy that asked your guitarist if he was also that paint splatter artist from Anaheim. We definitley enjoyed listening to the Agents Of Voodoo - you guys were great!

On 2007-04-04 20:55, WooHooWahine wrote:
Pics? Pics? Have you rested up enough to post your pics yet???

Hopefully I'll post them tonight, after my camera and I both finish recharging.

MT

Wow, what a great trip that was! I didn't want to come home!!!

First stop - Disneyland!!!

We met Al-ii at Disneyland for lunch on Tuesday, but I forgot to take pictures! Doh! Anyways, we had a great time riding Pirates with him, and dining at Cafe Orleans, where the Pirate Band kept drowning out our conversation.

Next stop - Wednesday night at Tiki Ti

My first Ray's Mistake

After a few drinks, other Tiki Centralites show up, and madness ensues

Toro!!! Toro!!!

My last drink of the night, a Blood and Sand

After I polished that one off, I was pretty much done! After 8 drinks, I had to stop at Pink's to sober up a little.

The next day, we pretty much cruised around the Hollywood and Beverly Hills area. And I still can't afford much of what's available on Rodeo Drive. Go figure.

Next Stop - Trader Vic's Beverly Hills

Bora Boris popped in for a few cold ones

And made some new friends at the bar

Sadly, the bartending just wasn't up to snuff that night. We totally dug the decor, and everyone there was very gracious and beyond polite, but the drinks were definitely off. Sadly, our bartender was unable to make a Mai Tai from scratch - pre-made mix only! Boris and I ordered a Shingle Stain, which to my surprise the bartender had never even heard of. It looked right, except for the missing shingle roof, but the taste was way off. I know that a lot of people love the BH Trader Vic's, so I'm assuming that we just had a bad bartender that night - especially if he didn't know how to make the Trader Vic's signature drink, the Mai Tai, from scratch.

So we decided to hit Canter's Deli on Fairfax. Corned beef on rye - mmmm, mmmm, good!

Friday night. First stop - Tiki Ti!!!

Our friend Scott, who lives in Thousand Oaks, joined us for the evening.

Then it was off to Tiki Taix

Denny's band abandoned him midset, so Crazy Al stepped in

Saturday was the big Extinct Attractions Tiki Room event
I meet Wally Boag!

And Bob Gurr!

Wally Boag reads from the Enchanted Tiki Room script, and talks story, while Dave O'Neal watches

Dave presents Cheeky Girl with a balloon animal signed by Wally Boag. Quick, get that on Ebay before it deflates!!!

SoccerTiki presents me with this one of a kind custom painted chanting pole mug. What a cool guy! Thanks, SoccerTiki!!! :D

Agents of Voodoo

Hey, let's all wear original outfits!!!

Al-ii shows us this one of a kind LLadro that he scored at the event, and had Wally Boag and Bob Gurr sign!

After taking the Anaheim Trolley Ride from Hell (what was it, like 45 minutes through residential Anaheim, nowhere near Disneyland), we finally arrived at Disneyland, and after a slight delay at the gate, we finally met everyone at the Enchanted Tiki Room

Everyone was pretty hungry at this point. Some folks went over to the Mexican Restaurant, and some of us were lucky enough to get an immediate reservation at Cafe Orleans.

Then after a quick pit stop at the Disney Gallery, we cabbed it back to the hotel for some room party action!!!

Coco Loco and I had a blast this entire trip! It was great hangin' with Al-ii, Bora Boris, CheekyGirl, Hau'oli Tiki and her hubby, Soccer Tiki and Woohoo, Tiki Diablo and Stephanie, PiPhiRho, Dave O'Neal and his gf and friends and family, Tiki Cutie, Hinano_Paul and pal, BigTikiDude and Tiki Tena, Tiki-Kate, Ben, Al, Denny and his band, the two Mikes, Rasta Jim, that transvestite prostitute I picked up at Pink's, and anyone else I might have forgotten! To say it was great was an understatement!!! Special thanks to Dave O'Neal, much mahaloz to you and your family, friends, and co-workers for putting on such a fun event! Also, hats off to CheekyGirl for the room party - much mahaloz for all the Chief Lapu Lapus!!! And a big thanks to Al-ii and Bora Boris for helping me drink all those drinks!

I'm going to come down to The Farm for their big yard sale party this Saturday - hope to see folks there!

Mai Tai, thanks for posting your pictures. I’m so glad that you and Coco Loco came down it was a blast having you in town. I strongly recommend surprise trips like that more often.
Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday.

TB

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

TBird.

Yes, great fun! I really like the pic of you and TikiDiablo snugglin' up together. That's what 8 drinks will do to ya!

Great to meet you Mai Tai,
hope to see you on Sat. at the Tiki Farm sale.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

MT

Great meeting you too, Bigtikidude! We'll be at The Farm on Saturday!!! See ya there!

Pages: 1 35 replies