Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Angry Samoans

Pages: 1 17 replies

dose anybody know if the "Angry Samoans" are any good? 'Cause their touring britain soon and their agents have offered them to our venue for a gig.

D

Wow! Steak Knife, Lights Out! Great songs! I don't remember how I got a tape of theirs. I am pretty sure I paid for it. Surley it wasn't through any illegal means. Anyway, you should go see them. I wish I had gone to see them in the 80's. I noticed they were playing at a club a couple of months ago in Southern Calif. I missed that one too. Man, I wore that tape out!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-01-15 07:56 ]

You can look them up on http://www.allmusic.com which is a great resource for finding music. They review almost every album from almost every artist (even Martin, Les, and Arthur)!

A great resource!

-Mike

Their first album was amazing and indeed my tape was worn out, too. (It was one of the punk albums at that time which came out on cassette tape). They took 'snotty' to a new level.

How the years have treated them, I just don't know.

Trader Woody

D

"you stupid asshole" Good workin muzack!

S

By far, the Angry Samoans are my number one punk band. I like the Ramones, but their songs are so candy cute. And I am still not sure if Fear was for real. Black Flag, and all the others have their place, but the first LP by AS is the best, pure, raw punk rock out there.

NN2

Boy, I can't believe they are still playing and touring. I played a bunch of shows with them back in the early 80's and they were cool guys, but they must be getting old because I know I am.

Loved the Angry Samoans when I caught one of there shows in late 1979. Have no idea what they sound like 23 years later! Cool record too...the severed head in the monster's claw on the cover. I think that was a clip from an old 60's si-fi movie called "The Monster From Pedros Blancas".It used to show on a late night L.A. T.V. spook show called "Chiller".

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2003-01-15 20:44 ]

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2003-01-15 21:18 ]

T

Bomp Records has an Angry Samoans CD comp with all 43 songs from their albums on one CD plus they have a video documentary for sale. I have not checked them out yet.

God, Angry Samoans, I haven't heard that name in years. It seems that all the old bands are having another go at it... I just heard that Dead Kennedys are playing a show in the bay area soon... shoud be interesting.

Aloha.
:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale on 2003-01-16 23:21 ]

Yeah the Dead Kennedys are playing edinburgh in april but after all that suing each other I wonder if its the original line up?

Jello has nothing to do with them anymore after all that low-grade court case stuff, and I'm sure they don't want anything to do with him either.

Sad how that all ended up. Perhaps our SF pals could give us the scoop on that as everyone's been dragged through the mud and nobody looks good as a result.

But, Brandon Cruz is filling Jello's boots and so it sounds like a blast. Hell, I just want to hear that opening guitar sound from 'Holiday in Cambodia' in the flesh, and I'll be a very happy old man.

Trader Woody

T

Jello is not singing in the Dead Kennedys in their new lineup. Instead Brandon Cruz (yes, the kid in "Courtship of Eddie's Father") is singing.

Sorry, thejab, I must have snuck that post in by half a second.

Trader Woody

I am so sick 'n tired of all these old '70's & '80's bands touring under a name that amounts to nothing less than consumer fraud! The D.K.'s without Jello is ridiculous. Jello IS the Dead Kennedys. Duh! It's like Souxie & the Banshees showing up with Kelly Osbourne (no offense meant to the OZ fam) in place of Souxie. Might be good, might be bad...but it ain't Souxie! My son went to a local concert a couple of years ago to see FEAR. No Durf, no Spit, just a longhaired Lee Ving with some unrecognizable musicians playing behind him. My son (who,s seen "Decline of Western Civilazation" about 100 times)yelled out "Hey, who let all you longhairs in here tonight". I think Lee Ving probably got the point.

Sorry...didn't mean to go off on a rant. In these troubled times everyone has to use all the resources available to them in order to survive. But, back to the subject, for anyone wishing to see the Angry Samoans, they will be appearing this friday (31JAN2003)in San Diego at Brick by Brick. This is a great place to see a band in a small setting that's more like a neighborhood bar than a niteclub. I've even played there myself one or two times. Brick by Brick is located in the Bay Park community of San Diego at 1130 Buenos Av right off Marina Blvd.

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2003-01-28 00:16 ]

Hey, I used to know those guys! Really, we were good friends. They said they really liked me.

-Jerry Curlan

Pages: 1 17 replies