Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Exotica 2007 Surf into Chicago 7/7/07

Pages: 1 2 63 replies

B

Aloha all!
We are pleased to announce that Exotica 2007 is on. Mark your calendars for the weekend of July 7. That's 7/7/07. We will once again be having an all-day blowout that Saturday at Fitzgerald's with music provided by great acts such as the The Astronauts, The Concussions, The Volcanos, The Bikini Beachcombers and The Reluctant Aquanauts. Joining us again this year are The Neanderthals and while The Los Straitjackets can not be there this time, we have Los Santos! We are also VERY please to announce that this year we are honored to feature the legendary band The Trashmen! That's right, the bird IS the word this summer at Exotica!

Of course, we'll also have some hula dancing, some go-go gals, guest DJs, vintage surf flicks, vendors selling the best of Tiki and Hawaiiana and smaller events Thursday, Friday and Sunday.

Hope you can come out and join us in celebrating as Tiki surfs into Chicago this summer.

Mahalo!
-Duke

You can check out the site at:
http://www.chicagoexotica.com

Check out Tiki Quest at http://www.pegboardchicago.com/TCintro.html
Tiki Central members get a discount and a special premium!

[ Edited by: boutiki 2007-05-08 09:19 ]

Yeah! way to go guys! Gald you could put the event together.

T

first it was go (unofficially) then a no go , now a GO!! Sweet that the cards flipped up in the right direction with the one that matters, the last one.

That's great Duke!!!

I'm glad to hear the EXOTICA event lives on!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Awesome! This will be my first and I can't wait!!!

T

I saw the Trashmen at the first Las Vegas Grind and they were amazing! This sounds like a blast. I hope I can make it.

On 2007-03-28 11:11, thejab wrote:
I saw the Trashmen at the first Las Vegas Grind and they were amazing! This sounds like a blast. I hope I can make it.

We got hitched during the '99 grind. What a fabulous time it was.

The Trashmen don't do shows very often, so it's an honor that they are coming to Chi-Town for Exotica.

Papaumaumau Papaumaumaumau!

oooh, I love the Neanderthals! They played the Rockabilly Ball here last september! They are GREAT!
Widh I could come to Chigao, but I have a wedding that weekend.
foooey! everyone have a blast!
PEa

YES!!!! What a great band line-up! Very happy that you guys are organizing this again. It is a huge endeavor, but well worth it. 2005 was an absolute blast...can't wait!

This is great news....way to pull it all together!!! Where can we find info on vending?? thanx again, Boutiki!! fB

yep were in , with new baby aboard!

T

On 2007-03-28 21:13, hala bullhiki wrote:

Yo Hala,

When is that baby rum drinker due?

On 2007-03-29 00:39, tedtiki wrote:

On 2007-03-28 21:13, hala bullhiki wrote:

Yo Hala,

When is that baby rum drinker due?

Bullhiki-

If my memory serves me correctly regarding the due date, I think he/she could be born right there at Fitzgerald's!

...which doesn't rule out the possibility of the delivery being performed by a guy in a Mexican wrestling mask!

nah, shes due april 23rd, although tracy and i think she may come a little early

..good news indeed!! nice to see it happening again....i just wish you guys were able to draw bands that weren't all local....most of your line-up at this time consists of bands we locals have seen in these parts a million times....which is a good thing for those coming in from out of town that haven't seen them....last exotica had the nelsonics, which rocked the house and was awesome to see them play live..don't you have any musical contacts to draw upon?? how about a call for bands outside the midwest?? anyway, should be a good time and i don't mean to knock your efforts.....look forward to it just the same...

...now i'm gonna sit here and wait for the "if you don't like the bands than start your own event" rebuttle from the peanut gallery....LOL

On 2007-03-29 09:01, hala bullhiki wrote:
nah, shes due april 23rd, although tracy and i think she may come a little early

Wow- I bet Tracy is happy my memory is NOT serving me correctly. Congrats again! I imagine Baby Bullhiki will be itching for a road trip by July.

nice...boo-urns to the wedding that i have to be at on the 7th but the other days shall be great!

T

Looking forward to Chi-Town again.

D

Schweet! I can't wait!! >:)

B

Anyone who is interested in vending their wares at Exotica should get on board while there is still space. Vintage and/or original Tiki, Hawaiiana, aloha attire, etc. is ideal. There is a limited number of spaces available and booths are very reasonable.
For more info email: [email protected]
-Duke

FYI...
You can go to http://www.chicagoexotica.com and sign up to be added to the Exotica mailing list. You will receive an email as soon as the full site is launched.
Mahalo

Any new info????

ST

Son of a B%tch. I'll be in Chicago (for the 1st time) the following week for a seminar. Are there any cool tikified products (mugs) from said event that I could preorder and maybe pick up when I'm there? Being as I live in a tiki-free city this could be my first chance to score on a work trip; I usually waste my time surfing and drinking on them.

Also for your Chicagoland tikiphiles. Since I will probaby have one (maybe 2) nights free where should I go that I can score a good meal, a good drink and a good mug?

W

Tipsy,

if you don't like the bands than start your own event. You asked for it.

George, WCI

[ Edited by: wgk001 2007-04-27 22:11 ]

On 2007-04-27 22:09, wgk001 wrote:
Tipsy,

if you don't like the bands than start your own event. You asked for it.

George, WCI

[ Edited by: wgk001 2007-04-27 22:11 ]

....Ha!! actually, i did.....exotica was the name i used for the first exotica which a friend and i started back in 2000 called "exotica 2000" which was an art show hosted by myself and other tiki artists as a way for us locals to show/sell our work. It was a one day show held at my friends loft downtown. From there it went to a place called "right on futon". Duke carter showed work at both places. It was from this first show that all following exotica events were spawned.....I still have the old postcard advertisements from the event and a newspaper article about the show....and the rest is history.

..on another note....since the chicago "big C jamboree" is the first thursday in july, was wondering if you organizers had plans for a meet and greet and if not, how about gettin something going at Martyr's where the "big C" event is held anyway??. you should talk to ken mottet and see if you can work in a show that night to kick off the exotica weekend, since there will be bands there anyway, why not get some of your surf acts into it....anyway, something to think about if you haven't already considered it...the timing seems good.

T

On 2007-04-26 20:38, Surf tiki wrote:
Also for your Chicagoland tikiphiles. Since I will probaby have one (maybe 2) nights free where should I go that I can score a good meal, a good drink and a good mug?

Surf, as always, give me a PM about a week before you get here, and if I am available, I will drive you out to the amazing Hala Kahiki, and also to Chef Shangri-La. All other TCers are welcome too, natch.

B

The Exotica website is now up with additional info: http://www.chicagoexotica.com We will be adding more, but for now the band info, schedule, and some tips on Hotels including discounted rates are available.

-Duke

Check out Tiki Quest at http://www.pegboardchicago.com/TCintro.html
Tiki Central members get a discount and a special premium!

[ Edited by: boutiki 2007-05-08 09:59 ]

lookin good....I've always liked the look of these exotica websites....glad to see you guys got an evening at the sandbar planned. it's a very cool room, the food is great and the drinks potent...

D
Dawn32 posted on Wed, May 9, 2007 8:00 AM

OK, I know this is gonna be a really stupid question? What's the Sandbar?

the sandbar is a relatively new bar/restaurant in brookfield...a suburb of chicago that's not far from where all the action will be....they regularly host a slew of bands like the astronauts, cocktail preachers and other surf/lounge type acts, as well as some rockabilly.....

A

Which halau do you have dancers coming from? I hope it's Mana Pasifika! :)

On 2007-04-07 12:05, boutiki wrote:
Anyone who is interested in vending their wares at Exotica should get on board while there is still space. Vintage and/or original Tiki, Hawaiiana, aloha attire, etc. is ideal. There is a limited number of spaces available and booths are very reasonable.
For more info email: [email protected]
-Duke

There are still a couple of spaces available. Anyone interested contact us for more info.
D&C

Here is the tentative schedule for Saturday 7/7/07 at FitzGeralds.....

12:00pm-2:00pm Vendors-DJ-Socializing (Vending will continue all day)
2:00pm Bikini Beachcombers
3:00pm The Astronauts 1st set
4:00pm The Reluctant Aquanauts
5:00pm The Concussions
6:00pm The Astronauts 2nd set
7:00pm Hawaiian or Go-Go Dancers 1st set
7:30pm The Volcanos
8:30pm The Neanderthals
9:30pm Hawaiian and/or Go-Go Dancers 2nd set
10:00pm The Trashmen
11:30pm Los Santos final act(Main Club)

Surf & Beach movies running all day & night in the main club.

D&C

BaMbOoLoDgE...where the South Pacific meets the Great White North!

[ Edited by: bamboolodge 2007-06-28 19:14 ]

do you have a list of whos vending yet?...and will there be a commemorative mug this year? if so whos designing it?

T

On 2007-06-06 12:47, hala bullhiki wrote:
do you have a list of whos vending yet?...and will there be a commemorative mug this year? if so whos designing it?

Hey Hala, Are you going to Exotica and if so are you bringing that shiny new baby?

tracy and i will be there with baby isabella in tow for the saturday exotica event from dorrs open, til babys ready to leave....lol!....we'll also be at the dva gallery in a few weeks , again from when doors open til isabella says its time to go...maybe we'll see you there?

B

Starting this Saturday at the 3rd Annual Gala Tiki Show & Party there will be a limited number of tickets for Exotica 2007 available at the DvA gallery. Everyone who purchases their ticket at DvA will get a limited edition serigraph from Exotica 2005 featuring the art of Dr. Alderente. These are special prints with an experimental blue pearl base-coat instead of white stock background that was used for the edition. If you plan to attend Exotica this summer and have been waiting to get your ticket, here is a great opportunity to grab your ticket and pick up a rare print as well. There are less than 2 dozen of these pearlescent serigraphs and they will only be available at the DvA gallery.

We'll see you at the opening.

K

On 2007-05-09 08:08, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
the sandbar is a relatively new bar/restaurant in brookfield...a suburb of chicago that's not far from where all the action will be....they regularly host a slew of bands like the astronauts, cocktail preachers and other surf/lounge type acts, as well as some rockabilly.....

Man, I sure wish Haole Kats!!! would have been able to make the Chicago trip financially viable for us again this year. We just couldn't work out the numbers to do it, or we sure would have. Although there was no Exotica, last year's road trip was a blast, and The Sandbar was a highlight. The Sandbar is a VERY nice room. Nice vibe, GREAT food, nice stage -- with great amps and an incredible sounding VINTAGE drum kit already on it!!!

If any of y'all go, try their ribs. I was very impressed with the quality of the meat and how perfectly done they were.

Man, if we weren't so busy, I'd be tempted to just grab a cheap flight and come as a participant...

Kanekila

[ Edited by: Kanekila 2007-06-22 05:54 ]

can you post a pic of the dr. aldrete print??

I wish I could be there, That's my birthday.

D

On 2007-06-06 12:47, hala bullhiki wrote:

Any word on the vendor list? Is there going to be a tiki mug for this event? Inquiring minds want to know.

Not shy to say I'll be vending at my 2nd Exotica... I really missed it last year... the music, entertainment and the people are all great!

I'll have my handcarved tiki masks and wallhangers (which made their premier at Hukilau and were a big hit) handcarved tiki idols, tiki signs, leopard fur tiki shields and a wide variety of handcarved tikis in sizes from 10 inches to 5 feet. Stop by and say hi and pick up one of a kind tiki creations that are all handmade right here in the Tiki Heartland!

B

We are not doing a mug for the event. Exotica is not going to try to sell attendees anything. Rather, we are giving something away for free! The first 200 people through the door at FitzGerald's on Saturday will get a free Exotica 2007 poster. It's a 4 color print designed by Duke. It measures 11" X 17" and each of the limited edition will be signed and numbered.

You are welcome to spend your money with some of the vendors who will be showing and selling their fine wares. These include:
Bamboo Bimbo's Beach Boutique
DvA Gallery
Lake Surfer
Night and Day Vintage
Rick's Vintage
Spinout Records
Tiki Terrace
Trader Daves' Shack

We are looking forward to a great time.
-Amy

Any news on whether Chef Sahngri-La will be open in time for the event?

I went there last night, and the "Closed until further notice" sign was still on their doors (I heard reports at DvA Gallery last weekend that the Chef was closed, so it has been well over a week now).

Anyone have insight?

T

Eek, I hope not. That will curb our plans to go there sunday for brunch.

On 2007-06-30 10:25, tikibars wrote:
Any news on whether Chef Sahngri-La will be open in time for the event?

I went there last night, and the "Closed until further notice" sign was still on their doors (I heard reports at DvA Gallery last weekend that the Chef was closed, so it has been well over a week now).

Anyone have insight?

Yes James, the Chef is closed TEMPORARILY. Susan was there last night when you went by there, so you could have knocked on the door and asked her, it's not like you don't know her. Funny, you had to ask this question here, when you could have just asked us last night when you were at Sandbar.
About a week and a half ago they shut down due to problems with their exhaust fans/hoods, and they've also had to install all new "flame retardent" ceiling tile in the Kitchen, plus completely remodel the men's room,(new toilet, urinal, sink,vinyl sided walls, and new floor. Anyone who has ever graced the men's room knows that this something that is long overdue.
She has been working feverishly to get this done in time. Her son Albert, is also back and forth, between his residence in Milwaukee, and the restaurant, nearly every day. Coalbe and I have been stopping by on a regular basis to check status. Please be assured they are doing everything possible to make sure we have somewhere to go next sunday.
Everything is actually done with the exception of the men's room, and the village will not let her re-open until it is complete. They are the ones who put "Closed Until Further Notice" on the building. Until they do a walk thru in the middle of the week, everything is kinda day to day.
We will update here when ever we have new info.
Over & Out
D&C

whooo hooo!!!!! new bathrooms at the chef!! that is worth celebration in and of itself!!! no longer will it smell like a bus station in there!! we will defiantely toast to that!!

sounds like they are making progress...keep us posted.

Pages: 1 2 63 replies