Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Maori Art and Designs and Celtic Artwork

Pages: 1 5 replies

Kia Ora
I am a graphic artist from NZ - New Zealand
I am Maori by ethnicity, Ngai Tahu te Iwi, my People or Tribe
Kati Kuri te hapu, a part within Ngai tahu

I design mostly for tshirts, but also sculpt, paint and I am just starting to learn carving. Not Just Tiki. Here is a some of the stuff I do that is not Tiki related.

A couple of Dolphins

One of my most popular

This is kowhaiwhai

A Manaia or guardian

Some whale designs

and a few others

I have been experimenting with more Grafiti styled stuff and would love some feedback

[ Edited by: Dragonaotearoa 2007-03-29 04:30 ]

[ Edited by: Dragonaotearoa 2007-03-29 04:31 ]

I also love Celtic Knotwork, here are 2 pieces which are my favourites

Dragonaotearoa, you are an inspiration. Hopefully you have copyrighted your work. Superb!! I told you I've been leaning Celtic too. You're getting me going.
Thanks for posting.

I have an excellant resource book for that celtic knotwork as well as doing as many online tutorials as i can. I have some it scanned in as well. If you want any let me know!

Find a copy of the "Book of Kells" for the best original Celtic designs, you might be able to view a "real" one at a library as they are only produced properly as gifts to special people.
There loads of other resource books, but also check out Jim Fitzpatricks work
http://www.jimfitzpatrick.ie/.

The method of construction by George Bains is a great resource as well. Many of the images are from the Book of Kells, it also includes images he has compiled from around Ireland, there are also comparisons between the Celtic art and other artforms from many cultures. Although I have seen images from the Book of Kells.

I like George Bains Book because he breaks the designs down into the basic parts then builds them back up in 3-4 stages so you can visually see the progression. Then shows variations of the same core design.

The Books of Kells is visually inspiring but complex to try and learn from I found.

http://www.aon-celtic.com/index.html

Has some good tutorials as well

[ Edited by: Dragonaotearoa 2007-03-30 04:13 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies