Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Orlando - Disney Ohana - Sat May 19th - reservation set

Pages: 1 8 replies

Well, the 21st didn't work out, they were totally out of tables, and the 5th isn't going to work due to cinco de mayo activities.... so... we're looking at Saturday, May 12th, almost a month out.

I'm going to call on Saturday the 21st to make reservations for Saturday, May 12th.... hopefully that's far enough in advance to not have a table shortage. If you're definitely interested in coming, let me know asap before Wednesday, so I can secure enough seats. So far there's 13 in the group.

Thinking of meeting in the bar around 5-6pm, and dine around 7-8pm.

-adrian

Ohana link if needed: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/dining/diningDetail?id=OhanasDiningPage

http://www.rumreviews.com

[ Edited by: MobileTikiBar 2007-04-16 05:22 ]

[ Edited by: MobileTikiBar 2007-04-16 19:52 ]

[ Edited by: MobileTikiBar 2007-05-06 18:54 ]

Updated the date due to availability.

T

DO I HEAR THE 19TH..19TH.. 19TH.. going once twice ......

On 2007-04-17 05:41, TikiLaLe wrote:
DO I HEAR THE 19TH..19TH.. 19TH.. going once twice ......

Yeah, really. Craaaaaazzy tryin to accomodate all the schedules and deal with availability at ohana!

TB

What is the official date & time for the gathering?

Reservations are set for 9:10pm on Saturday, May 19th. We're planning to arrive at the bar around 7-7:30pm. If anyone else is interested in joining, let me know and I'll try to adjust the reservation!

-adrian

R

I just found out I will be attending a conference in Kissimmee next month (5-9). What is the tiki action like around there? I am staying at the Gaylord Resort.

On 2007-05-08 13:58, rugbymatt wrote:
I just found out I will be attending a conference in Kissimmee next month (5-9). What is the tiki action like around there? I am staying at the Gaylord Resort.

Others on TC have been around tiki much longer than I have, so I'd defer to their expertise. My findings thus far are:

Big Bamboo - now out of business - was in kissimmee, and one of my introductions to tiki. That place had a ton of history, and was always nice to stop in for a few drinks when I lived in the area.

Ohana - Disney Polynesian Resort - great food at a decent price. Lots of children if you go there too early. Reservations normally need to be made far in advance for larger parties (as I've recently found out). The bar serves decent drinks, although not super-strong like you would expect from your home bar, but certainly better than almost any other tourist-bar in the area. The chicken wings are excellent, as are the peel/eat shrimp.

Waitiki - two story downtown orlando bar off of wall street plaza. Music ranges from 80s, 90s, surf, swing, two levels with a different ambience in each. If you're in the downtown area, worth stopping into.

Lattitudes - rooftop bar in downtown orlando, ok drinks, interesting view last time I was there, not very 'tiki' of a place, however. Lots of construction going on nearby these days as they transform downtown from a social-scene that was on its last leg into a bunch of condos.

Emerils Tchoup Chop - Universal Studios near citywalk (you can boat from citywalk or go to the Royal Pacific resort). The food is amazing, I love the calamari. The rum, drink selection, and bartenders have always treated us well. If you're in this area, although not a strong 'tiki' location, certainly a wonderful place for some great food.

Jimmy Buffett Margaritaville - Not tiki - Universal Studios citywalk. If you want to relax and have a few tropical drinks that are made for the masses of tourists, it's a decent spot to relax and people-watch. Occasionally a steel drum player is out, which makes it much nicer in my opinion. The food is average, drinks less than average unless you can line up a bartender directly for something special.

I would honestly need to hear from folks that are more experience in the area. I've really been looking forward to someone setting up a tiki bar pub-crawl type activity in town, it just hasn't happened yet. I've also been waiting for the bands from last year's Hukilau to hit the local scene. They're Florida based, but normally not too close to town... but the wife and I loved them.

I've been working on the home tiki bar lately, building an outdoor setup slowly in my free time. I'm in the process of finding someone to do the electrical, then I need to figure out counter top surfaces. Decorations are about 1/4 the way there, I'm hopeful to pick up some great finds at the hukilau this year. I'm open to a home-bar crawl someday once it's finished.

Good luck on your search for tiki while in town. One thing I'd mention is that I've eaten at Gaylord a few times. The food was ok, drinks ok, nothing overly special. The environment inside the hotel is something I'm sure you've never experienced before, nor will experience again.

-adrian

TB

1 more day!!!!

Ladies, are we wearing our hawaiian dresses?

Pages: 1 8 replies