Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Zaya Rum

Pages: 1 20 replies

B

Ok it's not like me to sing the praises of a brand of booze without copious and detailed research over the course of many years but I am going out on a limb here: Zaya Rum is phenomenal-- So good you almost dont want to mix it, but if you do mix it, mix it with good stuff and you will not be dissapointed.

Out of the Bottle- delicious.
In a glass- Pretty outstanding.
In a glass with ice- cold and delicious.
Mixed 1:2 with banana/strawbery nectar over some ice--Whooo Baby
Mixed 1: 1 with Banana/Strawberry nectar-- Now yer taliking
Mixed 2:1 with dregs of nectar- Jamming
in a glass of mostly melted ice previously mixed with nectar- good enuf to write a post about this rum.

Cheers!

[ Edited by: Bincho 2007-03-30 22:06 ]

[ Edited by: bincho 2007-04-10 18:20 ]

S

I have found Zaya to be excellent, well worth trying even with it's price tag - $45 or thereabouts whenever I see it. But that price tag makes it difficult to purchase, since that is $5 more expensive than the Ron Zacapa Centenario 23-year-old. But there is no doubt that it is a premium rum, something I consider to be a classic taste, and quite sippable. One of the best, in my opinion - I just wish it was cheaper than the Ron Z.

B

I paid $35 for it-? I have to check to see if there is more.

S

For $35 I would certainly buy it more often!

B

Thanks for tip on Ron Zacapa- I will look for it ;D

S

Don't just look for it - FIND IT! :)

It is easily my favorite rum, and IMHO the best of all the reasonably priced rums. That is, it's not as good as Pyrat Cask 23, but at about $40 the Ron Zacapa is affordable.

B

FYI Zaya 12 year old at BevMo--Club Bev price $$$26.99!!!!
Take a bath in it!

S

Zaya for $27? Ouch - I pay closer to $45 in new England!!

I have a bottle of Zaya nd Zacapa 23. For the money the Zacapa is bit smoother to me. Of course here in Delaware the Zaya runs $40 to $45 a bottle and the Zacapa can be had for around $33 on any internet site. I have heard that Zaya is made by the same company that makes Zacapa...just relabled as a private lable...they do the same with Montecristo rum.

B

Well, I've been a steady rum drinker (despite all the anti-social jokes) for about 35 years now and I still rate Zaya as my favourite (but didn't know about the 'rebranded' stuff mentioned earlier).

I think that the best part about this rum is its staying power. Even after downing a pint or so it's STILL very tasty (try that with Pyrat XO) and it treats you quite well next morning too.

As for mixing it.... well :o

It was thanks to Zaya I discovered your site, I was googling to see if I could find a cheaper source. When I found out I already have some of the music that's on sale here (so, I'm NOT alone after all...) is when I signed up!

I just thought I'd stick my 2 cents worth in :)

Bon-voyage...

[ Edited by: bryn494 2008-02-24 14:39 ]

Zaya is one of my favorite sipping rums. Total Wine, a new store in Roseville CA has it for the low every day price of $22.99! Check out their web site they have many locations in the US.

Wow - 23 bucks! Tell them to open more stores! The usual non-sale price at BevMo here is around $29. We had to pay close to $40 in CT last year, but it was still worth every penny.

Zaya has completely spoiled me. I've never mixed it; it's just too good. I like the Ron Zacapa 23 year, but Zaya is by far my favorite. I think it's the smoothest and the flavors are amazing. Been very excited to find it becoming available in a few different bars lately, too. It always has to be my final drink because nothing else tastes as good after that.

From time to time, the California food chain, Vons, has it for $22.99. Keep your eyes open for it. It's a great rum for sipping and mixing.

MT

We've been mixing mai tai's around here with an ounce of Pusser's, and an ounce of Zaya. Martiki turned us on to the recipe. Pretty damn good, in my opinion! Give it a try. Cheers!

I was surprised to find Zaya on the shelf at the Safeway in Alameda this weekend. It was $27 I think. Now, if they could only start stocking Ron Zacapa.

I finally tried some Zaya this past weekend at Amy's party.
good stuff.
must get some.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Zaya is good rum. There's always a debate about the quality of the current Zaya when compared to the variety from a few years back. Either way, it's really good rum and I always try to keep a bottle on hand.

Q

I love this stuff. Really great served straight. In fact, I've served this on the rocks to non-rum drinkers and they were blown away by how good it tasted.

On 2009-05-26 08:31, Tiki Kaimuki wrote:
I was surprised to find Zaya on the shelf at the Safeway in Alameda this weekend. It was $27 I think. Now, if they could only start stocking Ron Zacapa.

I think they have an exclusive contract to sell with Vons (Safeway is same company)Somebody told me that anyway... Zaya makes the best navy grog I have ever had though, use zaya and Orange Extract in your honey... wow they compliment each other very well!

I
iTiki posted on Tue, Jun 2, 2009 8:12 PM

3 or 4 shots of Zaya in a lowball glass filled with crushed ice and just a splash of Velvet Falernum is one of my favorite "quickie" drinks.

C

Zaya has definitely become my favorite rum, but I blame it for the bad things it does to bartenders. Last fall, my wife [then fiancee] and I dropped into our second favorite Alameda rum bar, a place called Havana. I was just going to have one mojito, and that's all I ordered. However, one of the bartenders kept talking so much about Zaya that I had to give it a try. Then the other tender bragged about a new daiquiri recipe he had created using it, and started making samples for the first tender and myself. Eventually, having still ordered just the one round, I had to let my fiancee drive my car home. A few weeks later, Tiki Tom's in Oakland started carrying Zaya regularly. The same happened. I walked in and ordered my usual diet coke; the bartenders got to discussing what they could do with the Zaya, and having ordered nothing but the DC I wound up walking home. Hard to stick to a diet when this stuff is doing things to the bartenders.

Pages: 1 20 replies