Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Comments Solicited - My First Post!

Pages: 1 30 replies

Ok... I'm no longer a lurker, well, on this board anyway. :wink:

I have been carving a few Tiki Sculptures in my spare time and was wondering if anyone might want to comment on them and maybe offer suggestions on improvements or style. (I already have a day job BTW).

I hope the link below works...
http://67.8.96.171/7tikis/

Putting a link there sure is a lot easier then loading all these carvings up in my jeep and toting them over to friends houses ... This internet thing may catch on eh? :)

Also... congrats on a great board! TONS! of interesting information and contribution.

7TiKiS

There's nothing like a sharp tool!

[ Edited by: 7tikis on 2003-01-16 11:27 ]

L

Love them. I really like the root hair and the plants on top. You have a beautifuly unique style.

Nice tikis 7tikis. I have yet to carve one with the roots still attached. In fact I have my eye on a few in the neighborhood, just need a crane to get it out, it's 3 ft. wide and about 7 ft. tall excluding the roots. It's been cutoff at that height for a few years so it might be dried out and very lightweight. I've already claimed it and the owner of the house doesn't even know it yet, hehe. JT

G

good job 7tiikis and welcome to da krew. Eh, on tiki #2, I can't help but want to carve on da bottom half of dat tiki. Thats a lot of palm still...mind if I wen fly ova and hit it with a chizle or two.
They look good!

Aloha

Tiki-riffic!

Wish I could do that!

Awww shuxxx....

Thanks for all the kind words... hey gecko anytime! Got a hut for ya to camp in and I'll provide the chisels... seen your work, wish I could carve like 'dat'!

7TiKiS

7tikis, welcome to Tiki Central. Nice carvings you got there!

I really love the "sleepy tiki"! Great hair!

D

Welcome aboard, I like them all! Especially the ShellTiki. And the way your depth of carving the mouth and nose on PoleTiki and I forgot the other ones name. And I disagree with Gecko Tiki with all the palm left. It's different than most do. No offense Gecko-LOVE your work! Question?- Has anyone made a root palm tiki into a fountain? We're planning on trying one but probably take many since being our first carving. But having the mouth as the fountain part. We wanted something like that for our pool.

I like! ...Looks like each one gets better and better. Your first is certainly better than my first try! My first carvings were disasters. I had a problem with the infinitecimal patience and care it takes to really get a good one done. Looks like you have a cool experimental knack, too.

Nice work... I agree, "Sleepy Tiki" is sweet.
Ch, Ch, Ch, Chia!

Aloha

:tiki:

Very nice! Love the big nostrels on that one!

Dude your so in the club. I cant imagine how awesome a Tiki collaberation by you and Gecko would look. In fact a pole done by all the carvers on tc would be a big ticket item for sure.

Chongolio

Wow...
The hits keep coming...

DivyChic - I've seen exactly what you are describing somewhere on the web... a fountain tiki with water coming from the mouth... hmmmm.

Tiki Royale - it doesn't show very well in the pic but sleepy tiki actually has a small palmetto bush growing on the right side of the root ball, and some smaller (but very green) weeds sprinkled around the ball.

Chongolio - funny you would mention that, I was wondering if there would be an interest in a "Carvers Corner" section of the bulletin board, where amatauers like myself could exchange tips / tricks or share design ideas.

I doubt the heavys (Wayne; Crazy Al or Don) would participate, but maybe there's others besides myself that would like to share ideas and techniques.

Then again... maybe not :lol:

Thanks again to all those that have contributed to the thread. I'm most appreciative of your comments.

7 TiKiS

Here is the link to a thread started a bit ago.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1605&forum=1&56

I am still workin' a way on my first big carvin. Its been wet here so my chippin ground are kinda swampy right now. I need to check my chisels for rust.

I am still waiting to get a good find palm log. I live in Ca. So I know there is one lying around here somewhere.

Chongolio

Whatsay we all do a common website of tiki carvings for sale? We could standardize shipping and put it in every tiki link page known to man. Tikiguild.net? There is so much demand for quality work right now. Plus we could cut costs by all chipping in on our "protection" money to Leroy Schmaltz, da main guy. I guess the boys my neck of the woods would be called "da Mason-Dixon Crew"....

T

Oh Yeah. Da Mason-Dixon crew in the Hizzy.

I see C'Al and Wayne but who's Don?

Ooops... my bad.

I meant Leroy S.

I'd say Wayne would hafta be Don. He's been 'doin dis too long not to be a main guy. Next question?...who gets made and who gets whacked?

T

On 2003-01-16 01:46, Basement Kahuna wrote:
...chipping in on our "protection" money

Ahhhh ha ha ha ha ha, Carvers chipping in! Ahh ha ha ha ha

On 2003-01-16 08:55, Basement Kahuna wrote:
I'd say Wayne would hafta be Don. He's been 'doin dis too long not to be a main guy. Next question?...who gets made and who gets whacked?

How could you say that??? Leroy IS the Don...he was carving when Wayne was still in diapers!! Wayne of course would have to be a made Lieutenant because he's been there for a while and did originate a distinctive style!! Now who gets whacked??? Unless I get any better at carving, I would fear that it could be me turning up in a shallow grave on the Jersey flats...:)

:drink:

I have to agree with Johntiki here. Leroy DEFINED the Polynesian Pop era. He's definitely a pioneer and probably influenced many a carver.

Ooops....

I would like to thank everyone for their warm comments and input. I also would like to take this opportunity to credit the people that are helping to shape my concept of Tiki carving.

No doubt most of the people viewing the images I provided are knowledgable about the different styles of the "masters" in todays tiki carving genre... so pardon me for acknowledging their influence here, as no doubt you were quite able to see them for yourselves in the carvings I did.

Giving Credit where credit is due:

First and foremost - Crazy Al at tikimania.com had a large influence in many of the features of my first attempts. You can see his fine work at http://www.tikimania.com
No doubt, C'Al will be an inspiration to many generations of future carvers all over the world. Detail and fresh ideas in composure equate to some of the most elaborate and beautiful works of art in contemporary tiki.

Secondly is Charlie Knight of http://www.palmtiki.com, his mastery of the circular eye is remarkable and a strong influence. Charlie is a great guy, and has a really cool shop located in Gulf Breeze Fl. If you are in the area stop by. Charlie is also doing some genuinely beautiful work in solid cypress now. I saw a huge turtle and a giant blue crab in his shop last December.

Last is the work of Wayne Coombs, I grew up in Melbourne Fl. and watched Wayne carve tikis on occasion. His unique style has become an icon of Tiki for many and has undoubtedly been a great inspiration to many of us "would be carvers". You can view his works for sale at http://www.maitiki.com

How unfortuanate though, that only 160 original carvings from the pre-british contact era of hawaii still exist today. Had King Liholiho not had dinner with his wife there may still have been thousands of them for us to use as inspiration and learning material. ref. Hawaiian Sulpture by J. Cox. pp 21.

But for the few pieces that did survive, I am thankful. Although I can't give the artist proper credit, the kona style tiki is by far the grandest sculpture of all in detail and design (IMHO).

Thanks again folks,

Aloha

There's nothing like a sharp tool!

[ Edited by: 7TiKiS on 2003-01-16 16:13 ]

I said Leroy is DA BOSS. He is the one to whom all the Dons pay tribute...Nobody does it better or ever will. Wayne-Don of the East Coast. Make no mistake, Leroy Scmaltz is YODA to me. He made me wanna carve wood. I bought NIGHT OF THE TIKI and said "This is it." I am mesmerized by work, and how prolific and varietal his body of work...he is the definition of the word artist.

Leroy is the One, fogetaboudit . If you don't agree , We are gonna have a "sit-down" .

Who is Don?

You don't watch enough mob movies.

CA

I wish I had a dollar for ever minute of stories have listened to from Leroy ! He’s da man.
However , I thing we should call this guy ‘Crazy’ for going in my direction... I wouldn’t wish that on anybody.I dig the flattery.....

Kahuna Kalai.

Don Rickles?

Pages: 1 30 replies