Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Boston-4/6 Waitiki & Burlesque Show!!

Pages: 1 15 replies

B

Ok, short notice once again, and the show is actually in Jamaica Plains at the Milkyway Lounge & Lanes (break out dem bowling shirts!), but it sounds like a sweeeet shindig.

Any of you cats want in?

T

Looks like a cool show, but we're saving our miles for the get-together on the 14th. If anyone goes, try to twist the arm one of the guys from Waitiki to join us at New Tiki.

J

Aloha Bargoyle - I'm trying to make arrangements so I can make this show. I'll know more later this evening after the event committee gets home (that would be Missy of course).

B

Hey Johnman!! I've got a similar problem. The Minister of Activities (Jess) has an appointment that night at the salon or spa or something, so I may be flying solo, but I'm definately planning on this one.

I mean, cmon...burlesque chicks, cocktails, waitiki, & bowling!!! How can this NOT be on the top of my to do list?

We'll see. Hopefully it works out & I'll see ya there!

S

Does the Milky Way do tiki drinks? That might make it worthwhile...

Well, dang. They do. Sort of.

Mai Tai
Bacardi Light Rum, Pineapple Juice, Orange Juice, Splash of Grenadine, Topped with Myers Dark Rum

Cool Dave Nice
Malibu Rum, Bacardi Gold, Peach Schnapps, Blue Curacao & Pineapple Juice

Not tiki, but a great cocktail if done well.
Boston Side Car
Brandy & Bacardi Rum, Cointreau, our Homemade Sweet & Sour, served Up with a Sugared Rim

"Part lounge, part lanes, The Milky Way Lounge & Lanes is a quaint seven-lane candlepin alley that attracts trendy-somethings and young families. The Milky Way is festooned with homegrown decor, with 1950s lampshades (faux leopard skin, contiki prints) and Christmas lights glittering in the lanes' polished surfaces."

Guess I'll just have to show up. :)

[ Edited by: Scottes 2007-04-03 16:06 ]

J

Hi there Scottes! First a formal introduction, I'm Johnman (duh!) - welcome to the board and the group of NE tikiphiles! Now onto your question. I've pulled a little sampling from the Milky Way Lounge's drink menu:

On the Rocks

Classic Margarita
Hornito's Tequila Reposado, Cointreau, Fresh Lime, Homemade Sour Mix $7

Mojito
Bacardi Light Rum, Fresh Limes & Mint, Simple Syrup & a Splash of Soda. Also available in Raspberry $7

Interstellar Iced Tea
Absolut Vodka, Bacardi Light Rum, Tanqueray Gin, Cointreau, Homemade Sour & a Splash of Cola $8

Lynchburg Lemonade
Jack Daniels Whiskey, Splash of Cointreau, Homemade Sweet & Sour, Splash of Lemon-Lime Soda $7

Mai Tai
Bacardi Light Rum, Pineapple Juice, Orange Juice, Splash of Grenadine, Topped with Myers Dark Rum $7

The Thunderbird
Wild Turkey "101" Bourbon, Ammaretto, Cranberry and Orange Juice 7$

Looks like you're all set. They sell Mai Tais! What's that, not a Mai Tai you say? Of course not:) But its got juice and rum in it so it will most certainly do in my book.

Hopefully I'll be there!

J

The verdict is in - Johnman is going to the big WAITIKI show this Friday night!!!!

I will see you there Bargoyle! Scottes - hope you can make it.

Anyone else???

B

Also, keep in mind that when WaiTiki plays, they often bring their own cocktail menu with them

J

Argh - trumped again! Looks like I won't be able to make the show. Miss' best friend's b-day is that night and now the girls have decided they're going out. I'd drag the little ones along but they're probably a little under the age limit. Plus by 9 PM they'd be delirious.

I'm still on for New Tiki on the 14th though.

I just saw that WAITIKI is playing in May to celebrate the release of their new CD. You can bet my foot will be put down for that show!!!

I'm sure you guys will still have a killer time though - with burlesque, bowling and WAITIKI on the agenda how can you have a bad time.

MH
Mr. Ho posted on Wed, Apr 4, 2007 4:24 PM

Yup, that's correct on the drink menu. Last time the bar however didn't get the recipes and the whole thing was for naught with them concocting all sorts of weirdness in an attempt to make the drinks from the menu! Hopefully this time, they are ready. We're probably going to update the menu later this year now that we're all alcoholics like the rest of TC and know the value/power of Rum! hahaa

Okonkulukú,

Mr. Ho of WAITIKI

[ Edited by: Mr. Ho 2007-04-04 16:25 ]

S

Well I won't be able to make this. I thought the wife was going out with a friend, but that's tonight. She wants to go out with me Saturday. Sorry guys.

B

....and once again, the cheese stands alone.

Is it me? I'll switch de-odorants!

I mean, here's an event called MONDO EXOTICA...and NONE of the New England Ohana is gonna be there?!?!?!

Could this wind up being the HuKeLau of the NorthEast? Maybe...if it gets enough interest.....Becomes an annual event with vendors from all over the country selling thier tiki wares... events at the Kowloon....bands playing...tiki hijinks & drunken buffoonery.

But if we dont SUPPORT this stuff we're doomed to the usual "oh man, I wish I could make it to HuKeLau this year...its too bad we don't have something like that up here"

Ok, I'm done venting....sorry. Just a little disapointed by the lack of turn out for this one....plus waitiki is AMAZING. Missing them is a crime in my book.

I guess I'll see everyone at the New Tiki next week. Hopefully it'll be a big turnout.

Mayor, Mr. Ho, Profesah, Laughing Boy, I'll see you guys tonight!!!

Looking forward to a night of tasty Waitiki goodness.

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2007-04-06 11:02 ]

S

Now I feel guilty.

:(

B

Sorry scottes,

I didn't mean to guilt ya out.

I was just a little disappointed by the absence of our NE Ohana.

At least you tried to get there man.

We're lucky to have one of (if not THE) best exotica bands around right in our backyard...we need to support these guys!!

My point was/is, that there is no scene unless we make it.

And along those lines, I'm planning something special for this summer.

Details to come.....soon :)

J

Bargoyle I soooo want to be there tonight. Stupid life just gets in the way sometimes.

I picked up some fresh mint on the way home so once the kids are in bed it's mixin' time. Tonight I'm going to try my first homemade Mojito. I had one at TGIF's last weekend and it was good, meaning a real one must be REALLY good. This is no substitute for a night of WAITIKI but it'll have to do.

As for next weekend, the Miss and I are in. Rain and Leila may also be joining us.

Have fun tonight!!!

Damn! I've been a little out of touch for the past month....taking care of bid'ness and all. I just discovered this thread and I'm bumming that I missed the show. I was at the Milkyway about 8 years ago for a punk & rockabilly show and the place was cool! Not to mention Jessica and the rest of the "thru the keyhole" girls are great! We have them every year at our hot rod show in East Hartford, CT.
Now, to add insult to injury, I also won't be able to make the 14th at New Tiki........ one of these days I'll get to meet you all! Ironically it will probably be down at the Hukilau in Florida! :lol:
Luke

Pages: 1 15 replies