Robert Williams
THE HOT ROD WORLD OF ROBERT WILLAMS
book signing

Saturday, April 7th, 2007, 7 – 10 pm
La Luz de Jesus
4633 Hollywood Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90027 – (323) 666-7667
Phone: 323-666-7667 Fax: 323-663-0243
http://www.laluzdejesus.com

The illustrated autobiography of his life in hot rods presents Robert Williams' extraordinary body of work in the context of his hot rod background, relating his impossibly wild formative years and his gradual establishment as one of America's most influential underground artists. Born in 1943 and raised in Alabama and Albuquerque, Williams gravitated to SoCal and the Chouinard Art Institute, but not before immersing himself in the nascent youth culture of hot rods, rock n roll, and bowling alley rumbles. He recounts a boyhood spent in drive-in theaters and dirt tracks, and the sheer happenstance that handed him a job as art director at the studio of his hero, Ed "Big Daddy" Roth. Along with tales from his time at Roth studios -- including several infamous run-ins with the Hells Angels – Williams demythologizes the 1950s, recalls his association with Zap Comix and R. Crumb, and reflects on today's retro rodders and his own hot rods. Loaded with photos from Williams's personal collection, plus paintings and illustrations. Hardcover, color.

[ Edited by: DJLee 2007-04-04 19:07 ]

[ Edited by: DJLee 2007-04-04 19:10 ]

What a life!!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Apr 5, 2007 4:21 AM

Met Bondo Bob in '93, before Juxtapoz went strato. The guy loves Hawaiian shirts. And he had the coolest carved ring I've ever seen, a skull made of shiny black moon rock!

I'm jonesin' for a new Coochy Cooty comic! In the '60's Zap Comix had a very talented stable of new artists (Crumb, S.Clay, Spain, etc) but Robt. Williams was in a class of his own. Kustom-Kar-Pinstipe-Motorhead-Kulter collides with Tie-Died-Acidhead-Stoner-Rock 'n Roll-Counterculture. Whewww...we aint never gonna see anything like that again.

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey 2007-04-15 19:09 ]

Robert Williams is one of the reasons I'm an artist! His bravery to stand up to the established "art world" with his brilliant and profane "low Brow" art has given courage to many artists like myself. He's changed the American art scene, perhaps the world art scene.

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Apr 6, 2010 11:33 AM

I'm a big fan... A true tiki pioneer... I also love his Zap stuff... His Ed Roth days... Weirdo... Juxtapoz...
He's got a good eye!

On 2010-02-06 22:18, Zeta wrote:
Moai with wings or Moai in the sky

The drawing is not so great and the idea was done by Robt. Williams and gameboy Mario Bros game, but I swear I didn't knew it when I draw it.
Fly like a butterfly...

"Like Armando's stiletto...ZAP delivers" cartoonist, surrealist, pinstriper...Robt. Williams is a 21st century renaissance man!

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Jun 12, 2010 8:58 AM

Why exactly did him and Shag don't "like" each other? I don't want to revive old demons, but I think it's an interesting theme... I remember Shag's mock up of Williams painted as an old man on a wheelchair... Oh boy! So, what happened? Or is it Tapu?

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Jun 12, 2010 9:00 AM

Oh, And I am not sure if RW belongs to Beyond Tiki... I think he is better in General Tiki. Also, who can post that picture of Robert in Easter Island? That one is cool!

Robert "Mr Bitchin" Williams is now featured (along with his fellow artist) in a new Zap Comics compilation coffee table book. That must mean that Zap Comics are now considered respectable and artistic.

New York Times: Zap Comics

I like it better when is was considered naughty, disgusting and forbidden

Pages: 1 9 replies