Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

weird observation

Pages: 1 13 replies

remember the days when you would log onto tiki central and only about 5-15 people would be logged in online??....these day i notice that it averages 65-80 people logged in at a time....shows hoew much tiki and tiki central have grown over the years....pretty cool....

I wonder if the large number of people/posts is the reason why my threads don't get responded to. I think (hope?) they get lost in the volume.

P

I'm a member of countless forums and this growth in posters is natural. It DOES get annoying after a little while, but hey....it just means this place is popular and doing well.

T

I saw like 4 of the same name the other night,
In the log in file. So whats that all about.

M

I enjoy this forum. Sometimes finding the thread to look in is a bit tough, but I love this place.

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Apr 5, 2007 5:03 PM

I really only noticed this as of this week. 99 people two nights ago and that is the most that I have ever seen after the Munktiki TC mug 2 purchase morning.

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Apr 5, 2007 5:24 PM

The whole Tiki movement is getting bigger in lots of ways, this summer is going to be a blast.

At the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NY, the Primitive Carving collection is 1/2 shut down because it's the most popular place in the whole museum now. They're building and renovating a whole new wing for it, to hold the crowds!

Two school groups came through there, looking at the masks when I was shooting photos, and the kids would NOT LEAVE. They were annoying and fun at the same time...

T

You know, every year, from about 1999 or so until about 2 years ago, I thought to myself - "wow, this thing is bigger than ever, bigger than it was last year. Surely this year is the peak, and next year it will start to decline."
And it hasn't declined.
Every year it just gets bigger and bigger.
So I stopped thinking that!

As a phenomenon, the Tiki revival is here for the long haul.
It'll be around for a while.

The interesting thing to track now, is the comings and goings of people, institutions, and our culture's own traditions, over time.

Occasionally I will run into an old friend or business associate and somewhere in the conversation I will bring up our backyard tiki bar and sometimes the other person will say "I love tiki, too!". I'm always surprised that we are not the only tiki lovers in Arkansas. I always tell them about TC and then they are surprised that there are so many tiki lovers out there too.

..i wish it would decline..then we wouldn't have to suffer through the half baked lame tiki products you see in big lots and target...then the folks who are trend jumpers would fall away looking for the next trend to jump on and we would be left in peace, to trade and buy each other's quality tiki artwork istead of blowing money on plastic crap at spencers....HA!

unfortunately because of mass production, a lot of the tiki stuff is now made in China - so everytime you find something that pre-dates 21st Century, it would be a treasure if it wasn't made in China.

On 2007-04-05 16:27, mzoltarp wrote:
I enjoy this forum. Sometimes finding the thread to look in is a bit tough, but I love this place.

I know what you mean. One of the things about this forum is Hanford has meticulously organized the threads that there are many ways to view it. Recently, although it's always been there, I found the "View New Posts Across All Forums" link. (it's 4 lines down fron the Tiki Central flashing neon sign on the main page). I can find all the current threads in all the forums and get caught up quickly.

On 2007-04-06 10:47, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
.then the folks who are trend jumpers would fall away looking for the next trend to jump on and we would be left in peace

Don't worry, the natural progression of a "trend" dictates that'll happen. Don't forget though, along with all The Trend "chaff" will come a few grains of inspired people and that'll make the chaff worthwhile. :wink:

On 2007-04-06 14:31, Haole'akamai wrote:

On 2007-04-06 10:47, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
.then the folks who are trend jumpers would fall away looking for the next trend to jump on and we would be left in peace

Don't worry, the natural progression of a "trend" dictates that'll happen. Don't forget though, along with all The Trend "chaff" will come a few grains of inspired people and that'll make the chaff worthwhile. :wink:

..that would be the folks i mentioned in the same post......the ones we trade/buy art from here on t.c.

Pages: 1 13 replies