Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Non Alcoholic Drinks...

Pages: 1 11 replies

Any cool non-alcoholic drink reciepes? Unfortunately being Japanese, my liver is missing an enzyme to properly process alcohol; as a result I have an "allergy" to alcohol. It's some kind of horrible curse - one beer and I'm totally smashed! I already drink my fill of passion fruit and guava juice; but now I'd like to see if there are any non-alcohlic mixes out there that I can enjoy.

P
pablus posted on Thu, Apr 5, 2007 2:39 PM

I've developed some fairly decent "mocktails" and would love to have more.
They're... you know... kind of bland.

One is a "Mock Tai": replace the rum with pineapple juice and replace the curacao with orange juice.

Also, I like 2 oz. pom, 2 oz. lime a splash of pineapple and fill the glass with lime flavored soda water.

Also, you can spice up non-alcoholic drinks with just a touch of pernod or falernum.

Or you can go ahead and drink absinthe and lose a week. :wink:

I'd love to have a book of mock-tail recipes that actually tasted better than Hi-C or Hawaiian Punch.

I'd also love an NA rum substitute. Someone help me. Come on Ahu, I know you can do it.

G

Mrs. GR likes the Queen Colada at the Mai-Kai, which is basically a virgin Pina Colada with orange juice. We've played around with it a bit to get it as close as we could and came up with this:

1 1/2 oz crushed pineapple
1 1/2 oz cream of coconut
1 1/2 oz pineapple juice
1 1/2 oz fresh squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup crushed ice

Blend until smooth. Garnish with an orange slice and a maraschino cherry.

H

I find that I like non-alcoholic tropicals if there's a little carbonation in them -- not so much that they taste like pop, but enough that it adds a little bite to what would otherwise just be a glass of juice. I suppose that's why carbonated pop is used as a base for so many non-alcoholic punches. Try adding a little soda water, if you have any non-alcoholic drinks you're working on that are a little dullsville.

TT

I like the virgin version of a drink I always heard referred to as a Napoleon Lemonade. It's basically lemonade made with orgeat syrup in place of sugar. It's very tasty! Easy to make and utilizes a favorite tiki drink flavor.

G

On 2007-04-05 14:39, pablus wrote:
One is a "Mock Tai": replace the rum with pineapple juice and replace the curacao with orange juice.

I think Trader Vic's calls that a No Tai Mai Tai. Mrs. GR likes that one too.

Fresh lime juice is always nice in non-alcoholic drinks, it perks them up and adds the missing sour element.

Mojitos are half decent without the booze, maybe try adding some orange bitters and it would be even closer to a mai tai.

I agree with humu on the fizz factor, it helps cut the sweetness so many non-alcoholic drinks are in excess of.

We're lucky in that many of the important elements in a good tiki drink are non-alcoholic. Fresh lime, lemon & grapefruit, maple syrup, sugar syrup, orgeat, passion fruit & coconut syrups, all the juices, falernum(available in both alcoholic and non), bitters, orange & rose flower water, etc. etc.

There really are so many things to experiment with.

Great Minds Drink Alike

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2007-04-06 18:58 ]

Has anyone plumbed the depths of Reddit? There is a forum for mocktails which I've been poring over. Some good, some meh, but still a good resource for ideas. I said "ideas" and not "winners" because my take on mocktails is that the same drink can hit different persons differently. What I like you may not care for, and vice versa. So it's all about ideas for either you personally or for whatever event you're looking to make mocktails.

"Fun drinks with no booze" on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mocktails/

On 2018-02-24 14:28, AceExplorer wrote:

Has anyone plumbed the depths of Reddit?

Yes and we REALLY shouldn't talk about that here.

:lol:

One day we'll all enjoy a nice long evening in a nice bar and you just might spill the beans. But then you would quite honestly be able to blame "Zombies" and we wouldn't even bat an eye. Ha...

Has anyone plumbed the depths of Reddit?

Which reddits are you in?

I'm interested in mocktails but, to my palate, so many are heavy on the sugar. Perhaps I've become too accustomed to the burn of alcohol.

[ Edited by: Scott McGerik 2018-02-24 18:31 ]

Scott, I'm really not in Reddit very often because I already have too much going on. But I do get Reddit posts in my search results once in a while and then I follow and go down the rabbit hole. Occasionally it helps me when I'm researching something. But I can get stuck there for long periods of time, therefore I'm really careful, lol...

Pages: 1 11 replies