Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Richard Nixon and Eames

Pages: 1 8 replies

T

Went to the Nixon Library today. The giftshop was selling assorted knick-knacks of Richard Nixon in action at the White House bowling alley (yes, they really had one).

Note the Eames-style chair just to the right of Nixon. Looks like they had Eames furniture in the White House. Cool. Then again, didn't Nixon like to go to the D.C. Trader Vics?

K

Yes, those Eames molded chairs were ubiquitous.

The Russians called to talk to Nixon one night, but Kissinger wouldn't let the president take the call because he was "too loaded". Apparently Tricky Dicky had been drinking Mai-Tais all night.

Cool!

That hard to find full sized poster is also available at the Freaky Boutiki in San Diego CA courtesy of the little achievers over at Lebowskifest.com. (Some may remember a framed version hanging above the Dude's home bar in The Big Lebowski.)

Depending on what source you read Nixon either loved or hated bowling. Some accounts say the only time he picked up a ball was for photoshoots designed to portray him as an everyman. White house sources paint Dick as an "avid bowler".

http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/floor0/bowling-alley.htm

i hear tell nixon was a navy grog man, not a mai tai man.

i'll verify with his favorite bartender naext time i see him.

Tricky Dick fans on the TC??? Hmmmmmm. I pretty much thought the guy was a bastard, however he did some good things for the U.S. back then. For some reason China LOVED this guy. He could have made an excellent ambassador. He was a very smart guy, just a bastard. ANYWAY, thought I would point out, that in the photo, it shows his foot over the line, AND he doesnt seem to notice it, or care. Pretty much how he was in life.

"You have the right to chant...use it"

[ Edited by: Mouse Art 2007-05-24 13:01 ]

[ Edited by: Mouse Art 2007-05-24 13:02 ]

[ Edited by: Mouse Art 2007-05-24 13:02 ]

On 2007-05-24 12:59, Mouse Art wrote:
Tricky Dick fans on the TC??? Hmmmmmm.

No fan here. Just following the thread, however I believe a reanimated flesh-eating zombie Nixon would be a dramatic improvement over the idiot currently residing at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

MA

I agree Hank. The people elect a "C average" student for pres????......Thats what you get!!!! And of course its way worse than that! Just dont get me started!......GRRRR!!...ok, calming down now, maybe I'll go watch The View..no?...RUM!, its always the answer.................Remy

On 2007-05-24 12:59, Mouse Art wrote:

Tricky Dick fans on the TC??? Hmmmmmm.  

Before your comment nobody said anything about being fans of anybody. Can we just hurry up and turn this into a huge overblown flame war?

MA

Chill fink, we're just talkin here.

Pages: 1 8 replies