Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Rare Tiki Albums

Pages: 1 13 replies

MT

I have been fortunate enough to have received a TON of entire albums burned onto CD from a good friend of mine, who has in the past, been head over heels for exotica. He has shared them with me, but I just listen to them because I enjoy them, but I am not sure if they are what you would call rare or not. He told me some of the albums were extremely hard to find, so I wanted to offer up some names and see if I might track down some more info on some of these albums.

Alex Stordahl - Jasmine and Jade

Art Blakey - The Witch Doctor, The African Beat

Don Ralke and Buddy Collette - Bongo Madness
Don Tiare and His Alohas - The Music of Les Baxter

Eden Ahbez - Eden's Island

Elisabeth Waldo - Sacred Rites

Frank Hunter - White Goddess

Johnny Richards - The Rites of Diablo

Les Baxter (multiple)

Marty Wilson - Jun'gala

Michel Magne - Tropical Fantasy

Mike Simpson - Jungle Odessey

Rex Kona - Wild Orchids

Tak Shindo - Far East Goes West, Mganga

Ted Auletta - Exotica

Whew... that's a few of them. I have more, but I don't want to overwhelm anyone! Like I said, I know some of them, but any extra info or if anyone is interested in them, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Tiki Matt

I have been looking for Michel Magne's Tropical Fantasy for months and months. I have heard it is incredible.

MT

BK,

Actually, this is one of the few albums that I don't have in its entirety. Although of what I do have (about 14 of the tracks) is amazing. Some of the most beautiful and bizarre exotica I've heard to date. I also enjoy the Ted Auletta and Fank Hunter. It's not that complicated and not too out there, but it is great. They both really set the mood when I'm mixing behind my bar!

Matt Tiki

S

I'd love to hear the Tak Shindo.

I'm not sure how opposed people are to trading music through Tiki Central, but I am always willing to trade music for music. If anyone is interested in any of these albums, please let me know and maybe I can work on getting some copies out.

Eden's Island is hard to find on CD and very hard to find on vinyl. Hanford reviews this on Tiki Central. He considers it his favorite exotica recording.

Do I sense another "TC cd tree" in the works?
:sheckymug:

Found these locally. I was wondering what they are worth. I would rate them from fair to good quality. There are scratches, I don't think they are deep though.

Adventures in Paradise Vol. 2

Taboo The Exotic Sounds Of Arthur Lyman

Lure Of The Tropics

Scored this mask for 15 frog skins

T

The Frank Hunter White Goddess album is awesome! Get it if you can find it!
:tiki:

E

On 2003-01-16 11:23, Matt Tiki wrote:
I'm not sure how opposed people are to trading music through Tiki Central, but I am always willing to trade music for music. If anyone is interested in any of these albums, please let me know and maybe I can work on getting some copies out.

I have seen disdain expressed here from time to time over the thought of sharing burned CDs. I'm wondering if those who feel that way could weigh in on the idea of "deceased folks' music only" trading...I have no desire to ruffle any feathers here, this group is so great.

aloha,
em.

I would be interested in trading these for a couple CD's of Arthur Lyman and Martin Denny. I've never heard the music of either one. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Found these locally. I was wondering what they are worth. I would rate them from fair to good quality. There are scratches, I don't think they are deep though.

Jungletrader,

I'm afraid none of them are uncommon, but all of them are good records, in my opinion, to keep in your collection.

There is a Vol I,II, and III of the Adventures In Paradise series and I like listening to them all.

The Andre Kostelanetz is also very pleasant and atmospheric, and has one of my favorite frameable covers.

Of the three, record stores will usually charge the most for the Arthur Lyman's TABOO because it is an authentic EXOTICA album, when actually it is the most common of the three, (at least here in So.Cal.) I've got about 13 copies in my collection that I've picked up at garage sales over the past few years. Good Exotica with a great cover. A good one to give to friends who are curious about Exotica. Record stores around here sell them for about $10-$15.

I like that mask with the turtle, by the way. If Doctor-Z and I had spotted that at a garage sale, he would have grabbed it for sure.

Sabu

Thanks Sabu. Yeah I wasn't sure if they were common or not. But still would like to get a couple CD's mentioned above if possible. I don't collect LP's nor do I own a record player.
On the mask, the seller said, "$25.00 lowest price". Then 10 seconds later, he says, "make me an offer". So I did.

Roy Smeck is a score. Nice albums, neat-o!

Pages: 1 13 replies