Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Upcoming trip to San Diego...hotel recommendations?

Pages: 1 7 replies

K

We’re planning a trip to San Diego in July and are currently on the search for a decent hotel. I know there are lots of San Diego ohana so I thought TC would be a good place to start.

There’s 4 of us (2 kids) and we’re looking for these features in a hotel:

Pool
Kid friendly restaurant on premises
Convenient to shopping and other kid friendly restaurants
Free parking
Decent rooms
Preferably near water but not mandatory…a view would be nice.
Not a high-rise

I know there are lots and lots to choose from but I thought I’d try to get some recommendations before we make a commitment.

Mahalo!!

[ Edited by: Kenike 2007-04-10 19:10 ]

Do a search for San Diego - it'll come up withe all the info you need, like this gem:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21631&forum=16&hilite=san%20diego

the "free parking" requirement will be hard to meet ~ just about every hotel/motel charges for self-parking.

for the "not high rise" and other things you like: maybe try The Handlery Hotel

if you're willing to toss all your requirements for price alone, try Priceline ~ i have fantastic luck finding 3 star hotels in the area, for about 60/night.. email me, and i'll show you my method! its a bit of a gamble, but its an adventure!

oh and Kick the Reverb can tell you more about Lafayette hotel ~ i've had relatives stay there, when we lived in San Diego..

i think it meets all your requirements, except for being near the water.

K

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

The hotel we're trying to find doesn't have to be tiki in the least...the main thing is KID FRIENDLY...unhappy kids make for an unhappy trip. The Handlery Hotel looks really nice but their web site says there is no availability on the dates we want to visit (7/10 - 7/15). The Layfayette is a strong possibility.

Anyone have any experience with Best Western Island Palms on Shelter Island? Pricey but looks really nice and meets our requirements...even free parking.

Anyone have any experience with Best Western Island Palms on Shelter Island? Pricey but looks really nice and meets our requirements...even free parking.

WoooHooo! SoccerTiki and I have stayed their several times and we give it 2 Thumbs Up!! Great Location, Nice Pool, Yummy Restaurant, and Friendly Staff. Feel free to PM me if you want more info. If you do stay there ask to stay in the Older Buildings: Believe it or not they are in the Best LOcation on the Property :)

Seems like any place on Shelter Island would be a big plus. There is so much stuff to see there.

T

Humphreys Half Moon Inn on Shelter Island! Not 100% sure about all your requirements as I've never stayed there myself, but every time I drive by it, I certainly want to!

Pages: 1 7 replies