Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Zombie Hut in Brooklyn, NY

Pages: 1 5 replies

D

Aloha-
Earlier this evening on my way to an appointment in Brooklyn I stopped by the Zombie Hut (261 Smith St.) and thought I would share my own short little review with you all.... The Zombie Hut is a very cool, classy little place located in the Park Slope section. I swung in on a Wednesday night around 8 to find a small mellow crowd of people seated at the bar. The place is decorated in classic tiki style and had a great mood to it. This place probably gets rockin' on the weekend but for now it was just the right speed in my opinion. There was a small seating section with a fireplace in the back. The bartender was very friendly and made a mean mai-tai that wasn't red. I sucked down two. While I was there the bartender made some 151 shots for some other cutomers (in tiki shot glasses) on the bar then put a circle of booze around them and lit all the shots and the circle to make a very festive flaming tiki display. Asked the bartender what the name of the shot was but it escapes me now. I would have stayed longer but had to go. I took a quick look at the drink menu and in addition to your typical tiki drinks I also noticed something called "the suffering bastard". I'm sure I'll be back there soon but when and if some of you go-check that bastard out and let me know how it is. Oh yeah..for all you NYC tiki people; in chatting with the bartender she brought up that she knew of Jade Island on Staten Island and heard it was cool. Now I really gotta go there. Hope you all get the picture. Mahalo!

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-01-16 01:19 ]

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-01-16 01:20 ]

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-01-16 01:24 ]

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-01-16 01:33 ]

R
rupe33 posted on Mon, Dec 5, 2005 7:43 AM

Seeking suggestions...
Looking forward to a post-holidays visit to NYC and since I've been to Otto's and Wally's, looks like Zombie Hut will be our target this time. Any suggestions as to drinks, and I'm wondering if they have any souvenirs available?

Thanks for any info - should be a fun visit!

MAHALO,
Rupe

D

Their Mai Tais are pretty good. I haven't tried any of their other drinks. The last time I was there was over the summer and as far as I could see they had no souvenirs. Fun place but it's all relative. In a town that supposedly has everything, New York wins the award for UN-Tiki capital of the world. Have fun!!! :drink:

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2005-12-05 08:09 ]

Ottos has OMC mugs you can walk with for $5 Mai Tais a good (trader vics) - it depends on who makes them.
They also have black t shirts that read "Everyone needs a little head"

Wallys is fun the most Tiki like in NYC they have TIki Farm mugs you can walk with for like $5. Alright food and good BOWLS.

Zombie Hut is fun but small they play rock and not much tiki type music they sell PBR too. The place is nicely decorated. No leaving with mugs/glasses but the menus rip off Vics rum barrel look, so they could be a good a steal. Most of their drinks are good I like the punch, becareful in the bathroom.

I like Wallys for OVERALL TIKINESS AND FOOD.
OTTOS is fun and if you get the right bartender the drinks are all good and the mugs are a bonus and if its Monday you'll be in full tiki mode.
Zombie Hut is so so (mostly because of music) - but the only go in Brooklyn.

Staten Island has Jade ? its in the tiki bar area of TC - I've never been but it supposed to be good! times

I went to Jade Island on Saturday and it was fantastic. The drinks were fruity but good. The food was not greasy and the place was packed. The PuPu platter was also fantastic. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a change of pace from Chan's Dragon Inn.

-g-

M

On 2005-12-05 07:43, rupe33 wrote:
Seeking suggestions...
Looking forward to a post-holidays visit to NYC and since I've been to Otto's and Wally's, looks like Zombie Hut will be our target this time. Any suggestions as to drinks, and I'm wondering if they have any souvenirs available?

Thanks for any info - should be a fun visit!

MAHALO,
Rupe

Otto's also sells T-shirts! Sort of hot-rod tiki style.

Pages: 1 5 replies