Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

SneakIE'S first Stone carving, pipe not tiki!

Pages: 1 5 replies

About 6". Pipestone. Used hammer,f lat head screw driver, and hacksaw to break out basic piece, used big ass file that's round one 1 side/flat on other, and screwdriver, old steak knife etc.. to carve so far. We've all lost our heritage of how to make good tools from nature and I can't afford anything for modern carving tools for right now. I know it's shabby and my technique is ghastly but It's in process. I apologize for my lack of tools and skills. Just having fun. I've been watching and I wanted to get some. Sorry not tiki!!

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-14 15:16 ]

Thanks
ST

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: sneakytiki 2007-04-14 11:42 ]

T

That's pretty bold there ST - using old screw drivers? I'm surprised the stone can take it!

Let's see some more pictures of your progress... you can add some tiki to it later :wink:

Thank you TG!

I'll post more pix soon. It's supposed to be a Northern plains style pipe. I hope I don't ruin it. I have a little scrap piece but not enuf to do another one.

Cheers,

S T

T
Tipua posted on Sat, Apr 14, 2007 9:14 PM

On 2007-04-14 04:15, Sneakytiki wrote:

About 6". Pipestone. Used hammer,f lat head screw driver, and hacksaw to break out basic piece, used big ass file that's round one 1 side/flat on other, and screwdriver, old steak knife etc.. to carve so far. We've all lost our heritage of how to make good tools from nature and I can't afford anything for modern carving tools for right now. I know it's shabby and my technique is ghastly but It's in process. I apologize for my lack of tools and skills. Just having fun. I've been watching and I wanted to get some. Sorry not tiki!!

Oh, so THAT'S how you used the hammer! I was a little perplexed when you mentioned the hammer on my thread. I was imagining you delicately chipping away with a screwdriver and 50lb sledge! :lol:

On 2007-04-14 12:57, tikigap wrote:
That's pretty bold there ST - using old screw drivers? I'm surprised the stone can take it!

Let's see some more pictures of your progress... you can add some tiki to it later :wink:

TGap and Tipua, thanks for looking, the screwdriver and hammer was just to break some big chunks off either side of bowl area, then hack saw, then file. There might be a pipestone tiki/totem in my fuyture as I have 1 small useable block left ftrom this project. :)
Here's those progress pix TGap;

L8R,
S
T

Pages: 1 5 replies