Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Quiet Village--Vocal version by Darla Hood?

Pages: 1 5 replies

I just discovered this by looking closely at the back of my Quiet Village sheet music for the first time (see at bottom):

Here's all I could find about that:

"American actress Darla Hood is best remembered for being the adorable childhood sweetheart of "Alfalfa" (played by Carl Switzer) in the mid 1930s version of the "Our Gang" series of comedy shorts. She got her start in the series in 1935 when she was only four and went on to appear and occasionally sing in dozens of episodes for the next ten years....

...Hood then went out on her own with singing engagements in nightclubs and guest appearances on TV.... In 1955, she was a leading lady in the act of ventriloquist Edgar Bergen (!?). She had a hit record in 1957, I Just Wanna Be Free, and appeared in the movie Calypso Heat Wave singing a duet with Johnny Desmond.... (Sounds good! ed.)

(!) In January 1959, she released a new record, Quiet Village. Joe Rivkin, who discovered her as a child, saw the cover (!)and cast her in her final film role, which was also her first adult role in a movie. She played a secretary in the suspense drama The Bat (1959) with Vincent Price and Agnes Moorehead....

....She did singing and voice-over on TV commercials, which included Campbell Soup and Chicken of the Sea Tuna. And she appeared in her own nightclub act at the Coconut Grove in Los Angeles, the Copacabana in New York and the Sahara in Las Vegas."

WOW! What a career.
I have the Don Ho (R.I.P.) vocal version, but whooo here has that cover, and the recording of Darla's MY Quiet Village !!?

T

Wow, that was fast! What an amazing version...amazingly bad singing. So that's where Don had the lyrics from. And I thought I had heard most of the Q.V. versions on my KBZ 200 compilations. Thanks, good work!

..and now: The cover!?

I don't think that the 45 has a picture cover but who knows.
There is also a great vocal version by the samoan jazz vocalist Mavis Rivers on 45 (Reprise 0257) b/w 'Sau La'u Tama Samoa' (without a Picture cover) worth to look for.
She also did sing two tracks on the Alfred Newman - Ports of Paradise LP but the 45 is much better imo

Dang, you might be right about the cover, 45 covers like that were mostly generic back then. When I read
"... In January 1959, she released a new record, Quiet Village. Joe Rivkin, who discovered her as a child, saw the cover and cast her in her final film role..."
I automatically assumed it meant the producer saw HER on the cover, but since he discovered her as a kid, he might just have recognized her NAME.

Well, how about a still of Darla singing in "Calypso Heat Wave", then.? C'mon, kids, that should be EASY! :wink:

MA

Man!, does this mean we have to give up our "He Man Wimin Haters Club" badges!!!??...............Remy

Pages: 1 5 replies