Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Inexpensive Tiki Shopping

Pages: 1 1 replies

TARGET

I went shopping at Target yesterday, and saw all kinds of Tiki things. Some of it was even on clearance.

Clearance Section (Near Front of Store) All Priced $2.50:

Tiki Torch - Outdoor type. - Instead of a long pole to mount in ground, it was short, maybe 20" tall, with a flat stand on bottom to sit it on a table. I won't burn it indoors, but I got one to use as an indoor accessory.

String of 10 Lights - Uses modern small white xmas lights inside of brightly colored paper accordion cylinder type patio light shades. Each shade is about two inches in diameter by about 3 to 3 and a half inches long. Indoor use only.

6 Pack of Silk Flower Leis - Has a few strands of glittery plastic tinsel threads on them, but I can remove those. I will use for decoration, but of course, good for Luau parties.

Bamboo Place Mats - 4 pack, flat, very light colored bamboo, with light tan binding that blends in nicely. I will probably use like doilies on top of furniture to make it look more tropical.

Luau Party Pack - 24 Tropical Mixed Drink Cards, and one 70 minute Luau Music CD.

Serving Tray - Brightly colored blue plastic with 2 Pink Flamingos on it. I'm going to set this on my wicker coffee table for decoration, and to provide a flat surface for drinks. Very funky retro. lol.

The plastic serving tray was part of a matching set of things that were scattered around the store and mostly not on clearance - Paper plates, plastic picnicware, bedding, kitchen towels, tablecloths, bathroom items, place mats, etc. There were actually 3 different sets - Pink Flamingos, Brown Monkeys, and Tropical Flowers (blue, orange and green on a white background.)

There were a lot of other tropical/tiki items around the store as well.

I got 3 small brightly colored iridescent plastic dishes: a blue fish; a white scallop shell; and a teal scallop shell. They'll look nice in a grouping, maybe with a few small shells and/or a votive candle on them. They were $3.50 each.

I also got a votive candle holder made of small circles of capiz shells. I'm thinking of going back and getting the larger matching capiz pillar candle holder and wiring it as a swag lamp.

There were a lot of different types of tropical 10 light strands that were not on clearance. There were about 3 different capiz styles, 2 sizes of miniature tiki huts (they were really cute), and one style of bamboo. These were $9.99 and 19.99, depending on size.

There were some nice artificial tropical flower stems, too. I especially liked the antherium, although, I didn't get any yet. There were also roses made of seashells in 2 different sizes. although I thought they were a bit expensive, $10 or $20 for a pair of them. Those come in 2 colors, pink or white.

POTTERY BARN

I've picked up some nice decorative tropical items at the Pottery Barn previously, as well. They even sell a couple different sizes of Tiki Bars, although I haven't bought one of those.

Pottery Barn Items -

I have gotten a couple of great retro reproduction large tiki posters there. They also come in smaller sizes.

2 Small Palm Tree "paintings" (printed on artist style stretched canvas)

A tan rug with palm trees painted on it (great price)

Bamboo Blinds (small thin flat slats, dark brown)

Wicker Coffee Table

Assorted small tiki/tropical accessories

They have great artificial tropical plants, too, although I haven't gotten any yet. Some of them I'm considering are large palm trees.

SteinMart - They have a fair selection of tiki/tropical things. Selection changes frequently, I need to go more often, lol. About the only thing I've gotten there so far are some tropical print curtains. Dark reddish-brown background, with tropical print of flowers. Very bark cloth type looking pattern, although they are really just dark sheers. I'm going to layer them with my bamboo blinds. I just got them recently, they are probably still available.

I've also picked up a few tiki/tropical odds and ends at thrift stores. I'm thinking of getting some old hula shirts and making throw pillows out of them.

I've also found a few tiki/tropical things at a local "everything for a dollar store". Bags of small seashells, coconut scented candles, and other odds and ends. Check out the picnicware and patio items for more stuff.

I can hardly wait for prime yard sale season! (That's Tag Sale Season for you UK folks, lol.) :)

Aloha & Welcome,
Man, you sure know a lot of detail about these items with very intricate descriptions. Your descriptions are bordering textbook... sales manuals. You are our in house rocket scientist!! Your acumen of the Target line is especially impressive. It's almost like you wrote the promotional text for their items. Welcome to Tiki Central.

Seriously, you should apply for a job with them to write their promos - very enthusiastic and well thought out. Looks like Steinmart & Pottery Barn don't have much to offer this year though.

Mahaloz,
Holden

[ Edited by: MakeDaMug 2007-04-17 21:59 ]

Pages: 1 1 replies