Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Vanity Tiki Mugs

Pages: 1 3 replies

With the glut of vanity license plates, this gets me wondering if there is a demand for vanity mugs.

Most of us have seen the Don the Beachcomber mug, the Sven Tiki mug, Hawaiian Idols, etc. So has anybody ventured to make a vanity mug based on their own face? It might be kind of like Googling yourself.

Good concept for a thread.
It all began with Paul Gauguin (BOT p.179)...

Here's what would have been a TRUE Sven-Tiki "Vanity" mug (Squid and Holden, brace yourself!):

It was a valiant attempt by Squid to create my likeness, and the concept of my face breaking out of a Moai was actually very cool.....but what would one be left with? My face! ....and who but me and my parents would get a kick out of that!
So I swiftly deemed it UN-Tiki, and Squid and I hacked out the now existing Sven-Tiki mug together.

...WHICH, if I try hard enough, is not THAT far away from my actual mug, as evidenced in this classic Tiki Ti "mug" shot with me and the Bum from a couple of years ago:

On 2007-04-17 22:36, bigbrotiki wrote:
It was a valiant attempt by Squid to create my likeness, and the concept of my face breaking out of a Moai was actually very cool

I think this design could've worked with a little tweaking. The problem is that, other than the ears, there's really nothing to suggest you're breaking out of a moai. If squid had sculpted moai-ish features over a small portion of your face in the same ultra-realistic style, it would have been very effective.

i'd have to agree on that note. It looks more like someone actually carved your face INTO the moai.

Pages: 1 3 replies