Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Witco ? fo bradda Sven or bradda Keigs

Pages: 1 7 replies

G

Aloha peopoz!

ke, I get one question fo bradda Keigs and Sven.

Here get some pics from my friends shop who wen get 2 new pieces. He said dey came from da old Coco Palms resort hotel & restaurant, which is no longer there. Was their witco in dis hotel?

dey look witco but bradda B wen said dey made frum redwood...can be but if dey not witco, whoa! dey very good inpersinations! Is their a way you can let your grandfather inlaw look to see if dey look like he wen did em please.

I'm thinking about getting da Wahine figure but not da King Kamehameha. Bradda B "Bernard"(owner) wants $150 dam dollars!! I might get da wahine piece regardless if it's witco because it's very attractive piece of work and aged very nicely.

I put a bill beside it so yu can see da size of dem.

back of it

bradda B in his shop. Ho check out da vintage glass floats. dats a tiki in his hand but cannot see em.

check out dis one cherry "king & queen fan chair". You don't see these very often.

any help is great

Mahaloz

A

While we are asking, Is it Witco?, what about this piece. Notice the handles are "W" shaped. I got it several years ago for a quarter.
Al

Very cool pieces! Hey, Al, if you want to sell that piece, I will make sure you double your money! HAHA

SugarCaddyDaddy

K

Gecko nice plaques but I dont think they are witco. I have never seen them in any witco catalogs and the profiles on the faces dont look witcoish.
My wife and I will be in Kauai in February,
maybe we could take a day trip to check out your carvings and have a few drinks. ( what island are you on?)
Alnshely I dont recognize this as being witco.

Keigs~

In speaking with some Witco owners who previously owned furniture stores way-back-when, they mentioned that Witco would sometimes create "one-off" pieces to be shown at different (larger) retail locations and "furniture shows" in order to test consumer response. If there was enough interest, then the "one-off" piece would be mass produced. Can you see if that was actually true? I have seen a couple of pieces that supposidely are one-of-a-kind Witco's.

I tend to believe that it could be true, since I previously had a retail store before, and learned that one-off's/prototypes to test consumer response are very common in just about all retail industries.

SugarCaddyDaddy

K

Here is a one of a kind that that was made and never produced. So I guess that could be true. Bill went on vacation for 3 months or I would ask him. He told me they made some prototypes that they never produced this being one of them.

[ Edited by: keigs20 on 2003-01-17 21:27 ]

G

Eh bradda Kiegs, i stey on Oahu. You know, world famous Waikiki. We can meet at LaMariana fo sum pupus and spotted geckos.
you bring one dem wall plaques you make o' wun dem Moais and we do trade ya. I can make da mask like i just wen sold on ebay. Let me know wen you get on da islands.

shootz

On 2003-01-17 20:51, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
Keigs~

In speaking with some Witco owners who previously owned furniture stores way-back-when, they mentioned that Witco would sometimes create "one-off" pieces to be shown at different (larger) retail locations and "furniture shows" in order to test consumer response. If there was enough interest, then the "one-off" piece would be mass produced. Can you see if that was actually true? I have seen a couple of pieces that supposidely are one-of-a-kind Witco's.

I tend to believe that it could be true, since I previously had a retail store before, and learned that one-off's/prototypes to test consumer response are very common in just about all retail industries.

SugarCaddyDaddy

No, these are not Witco, they don't have the touch.

The one-offs were photographed for the each new catalogue, and if those pix in the catalogue did receive enough orders, they were kept in the line. So if some pictured items got NO order, only the prototype was made. Don't know if it was ever sold though. But this way there might be only 6 or 7 of a certain design that ever made it out of the shop and then manufacture was not continued....

Pages: 1 7 replies