Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tropics Weekend Palm Springs Latest News

Pages: 1 14 replies

T

For everyone's info...After seeing this message on the Tropics website- "$25 per person for Saturday, June 22 DUE TO OVERWHELMING EVENT DEMAND, ADMISSION IS AVAILABLE ONLY THROUGH RESORT PACKAGES." I called them and the latest is that not only are all the rooms booked at the Tropics, but two other motels they are referring people to are almost booked.

So, according to the Tropics, only people who have booked a room at one of these places will be allowed to go to the show- and there is no additional charge. They were going to sell $25 tickets for Saturday to people not booking rooms, but there are so many rooms being booked that there will not be any tickets sold to people just wanting to come out for the show.

So, I guess unless things change, if you want to go to the show you'd better book a room soon. Bummer, huh....

T

I'm not going or I would have booked it a while ago when I heard about it, but I'm on the mailing list for the Tropics and I received a card about the event in the mail just last week, after all the rooms had already sold out! They should have sent those cards out much sooner.

Ditto that. Same situation. I think the mailing came from Tiki News subscribers.

[ Edited by: BONBONVIC on 2002-05-22 17:56 ]

I am truly sorry guys, The Tropics just did not get their act together with getting the invite cards done in time. I got my stack in the mail the day they announced it was sold out. So what do I do with them now? Pass them out to my friends to TEASE them?
Granted, they came out great looking (see Tiki Farm website), suitable for framing, but for people who knew about it and waited to get the cards to book they are now a reminder of being frustrated.
Otto is not happy about it either, talk to him....

I was in Palm Springs over Memorial weekend, and stopped by the Caliente Tropics to beg for a room.... did no good! And the only way to go to the Tiki Oasis, as stated before, is to book in their referral overflow sites only. Aside from huge disappointment, I did get a room at the overflow. If anyone wants to attend Tiki Oasis and haven't booked yet, you've got very little time left.

Here's the only way to get a room to attend the event: Call the Palm Springs Hotel Reservation line. Press '3' for Palm Springs area, and ask for a room for the 'Tiki Oasis'. 1-800-728-3227

Our room is at the Ocotillo Lodge, and is $105 a night, all rooms are suites there. It is a well kept generic 50s motel, about 1/4 mile from the Tropics. Guess I'll just have to walk off the mai-tais......

:tiki:

Otto told me about it awhile back, but I didnt think I would be able to go. One week ago I got my invite from the tropics inn. When I tried to book online it was all full. It seems that our plans may be changing though and we might be showing up, if we can get a room. Going to call them back up today and see whats up.
Maybe Ill see some of you there.

later
-stuckie

M
mig posted on Tue, May 28, 2002 11:07 AM

Hmm, I don't wanto to encourage any unauthorized party-crashing, but it sounds like if anybody is going to be nearby Caliente Tropics in the next couple weeks, they should file a report here about certain key things like "how high the fence is".

Man, that's 90 rooms in Caliente alone. I wonder how many people are going to show up? How are we all going to be able to see Sven's slide show and Hawaiian Eye? They are gonna have to stretch a huge screen across the pool or something. Anybody know if they will actually be serving drinks from the Reef poolside bar this time?

Otto and I are working on something for the Tiki Oasis Weekend and need to know how many people are going, how many are staying per room and how many beds are in the room you are staying in and what motel will you be at.
We are trying to figure something out and hope all of you can reply ASAP to me at . I will give you more info. a few days before the event,but I need to hear from you now. This is pretty important so please send me a quick email with the above information. thanks so much--bruce woodbury

Alooooooha,
Anyone want to "Barter" on getting me in on Sat.A.M. to Sun. a.m. with a floor to crash on so I don't have to sleep in my truck? I don't snore and sleep like a rock! How bout a custom portable Bamboo Ben Tiki Bar or copies of the best photo's in my Grandfather Eli Headly's portfolio??? Or??????

F

that thing is going to be real insecure. It will be a breeze to sneak in

Frankly, if I did not have a reservation already I would not bother going. The place is already gonna be packed to the brim with all the rooms at the tropics AND two other motels booked. Few people will get a good view of the slide show or the Hawaiian Eye screening, let alone with crashers getting in on top of it.

I am glad I am not the only one who hopes that the screen will be large enough. Last year they only needed a little, portable screen to project the entertainment on. As I said before, they need to suspend a huge-o screen across the pool!

T

Agreed, it's gonna be a little crazier than last year- which was just about the right size. I'm gonna do lots of video taping this time and might even have some streaming video to show everyone, eventually.

Also, for all you tiki mug collectors/Kahiki fans, I'm planning on having the Hoffman Kahiki Mystery Bowl there for people to see! So stop by CC and Anne's setup and say hi!

Oasis,
I'm already in. I just like to "Barter!!!" (and give deals to the "in-crowd") Mrs. Bamboo (who runs the store) hates it when I'm there. I chase customers away give too many deals.

Pages: 1 14 replies