Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

re: Tiki restaurants in Chicago, Il.

Pages: 1 6 replies

My wife is visiting Chicago this week and wanted to dine at Trader Vic's. Since it's closed we were wondering if anyone could recommend something similar. Great food, booze and of course a mug for me.

Mahalo,

Tikitatt

..try chef shangri-la....good food, potent drinks and vintage tiki atmosphere...

T

Thanks for the heads up on chef shangri-la. I checked it on on Critiki and it really looks great. I told my wife if she gets the chance she will dine there.

Mahalo,

Tikitatt

Really try and get to Tiki Terrace. Scott & the crew there showed TofuJoe & I big Ohana when we passed through. Major props to them.

T

My wife went to the restaurant and found out new owners took over the place and changed the decor a little. She said it doesn't have much of a tiki feel to it as per the pictures in Critiki. However, she did say the food was great. Hard to find a good Tiki hang out theses days.

Thanks for the heads up.

Mahalo,

Tikitatt

On 2007-04-25 19:11, Tikitatt wrote:
My wife went to the restaurant and found out new owners took over the place and changed the decor a little. She said it doesn't have much of a tiki feel to it as per the pictures in Critiki. However, she did say the food was great. Hard to find a good Tiki hang out theses days.

Thanks for the heads up.

Mahalo,

Tikitatt

Are you talking about Chef Shangri-La? The same family has owned it since 1976 when it opened. As far as the decor, it hasn't changed much over the years, maybe some stuff moved around but that's about it. They did re- do the bar area about 3 or 4 years back.

BaMbOoLoDgE...where the South Pacific meets the Great White North!

[ Edited by: BambooLodge 2007-04-26 11:14 ]

T

Unfortunately, I was unable to go so I’m relying on what the wife told me. She tried to compare it to Trader Vic’s in Beverly Hills and said it was nothing like it. I’ll make it out there some day…

Mahalo,

Tikitatt

Pages: 1 6 replies