Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New guy Tiki Sea-Luff's first carving....

Pages: 1 19 replies

Aloha,
My name is Cliff and this is my first work. I have no experience whatsoever . Just thought i'd share it with everyone. I have alot of questions and learning to do.

This little guy is from a piece of firewood i had outback (i think walnut). This is way too fun and I hope to be posting some better pieces in the future. From all the work i have seen so far you guys are amazing!

A little about me:
Been living in VA Beach VA for the last 7 years.
I'm a squid (thats US Navy Sailor for anyone thats never herd of the term before)
Love rum and the beach- (i try to spend alot of time with them both)
I have a beautiful family and I live right by the oceanfront so life is good.......
Mahalo,
Cliff (SEA-LUFF)

aloha the tiki looks good just keep learning and have fun

Nice work. Welcome to the party!

T

Looks good Cliff - show a picture of the end of the log - that will help identify the wood. I like the finish - what did you use to get that grey seasoned look?

thanks guys i actually burned it again yesterday so it took out many of the chisel marks you see now. I also carved another little tiki to go with him.(i'll put the pics up later today).

As for the grey grainy look, its just handsanded. the key is to not go so deep, therefore you still have some of the cool top wood showing through.

As another side note: The above tiki has developed a large crack due to the wood being damp for so long outside and then being carved and brought inside. The crack runs full length down the face(of course.) The crack seemed to take the path of least resistance through the teeth and down alongside of the nose. To prevent this, I'm going to make a "sacrifical cut" on the backside of the log. I did it to 2 more logs i have to see what happens. Does anyone know anything about this? Like I said thease are just my first carvings from firewood i have outback so bare with me. Hope to get my hands on some good wood and do bigger and better things.

Cheers,
TIKI SEA-LUFF

Hey Cliff,

Good work. Where do you live? I live down at the ocean front. There are 3 or 4 other VB people who have posted on here but none seem to last for more a couple of posts.

Hi

keep posting it s a nice peace of tiki art.

limo

Aloha Cliff,
Nice first carve. Keep it up and have fun while you're doin' it.

Mrs Hoptiki

B

Welcome to TC Tiki Sea-Luff, don't luff yer sails around here, it won't get you anywhere either.
Nice first tiki for someone with No experience. It actually Does look pretty good and you should be Proud of it. Now if you are carving these same guys 6 or 7 tikis down the road, then you need to worry but this is a Perfece spring learning board. Every one you carve will be better and Better so keep Posting those pictures and we will help all we can. :) :) :)

whoa sorry i've been gone for a bit but i'm back carving again. today i just got a new dremel for the detail work, and found a nice old 3 ft oak log on the side of the road to boot. I'm also going to order some split 5 inch bamboo to do some mask work and to hang on walls and such. I'll do my best to stay updated on here.

cheers,
sea-luff

here is the link for the bamboo:http://www.anythingbamboo.com/TonkinPoles.htm

Here was an old one i did (my second one) but i never put the pics up. Its just a simple one but i wanted to focus on the basics. Started carving a new one today for a friend so hopefully i will have him done by monday evening.

S

Right on Nice work you have the bug now.

V

keep it up cliff the second one looked even better i like the burned look as well probably because im a pyro

later
VBTIKI

ST

Lookin' good! Where do you live?

Hey sorry been kinda busy lately. Started a new tiki yesterday hopefully it will be done this weekend but with the crazy weather who knows when i will get outside to finish it up. Its for my buddy so I'm really trying to step it up on this one a few notches.

Any ways thanks for all the kind comments i'm just trying to get the hang of this whole thing. I live in salt marsh behind shadowlawn. Its just close enough to the beach so i can ride bikes to surf and the bars, its niiiiiiiiice! Good to see you other VB cats on here!

Peace bros,
Tiki Sea-Luff

H
hewey posted on Mon, Feb 25, 2008 7:05 PM

There's a definite improvement just in those two mate :D At some times the quality of work on here can feal a bit overwhelming, but everyone was a beginner one day. The important things are to try and make each one better than the last, but most importantly have fun! :D

My latest attempt. Its from a section of downed telephone pole i think. My friend brought me the wood and I guess he had it sitting outside the whole time. The reason i say this is that once i took the wood inside to dry it split like crazy. Oh well it was good practice. Peace bros...........

S

Me like him allot! Nice Job.

T

I like your styles and its fun in the beginning discovering effects you can get . On the burnt parts you have a lot of heavy carbon spots. I use a wisk broom to knock off the big clumps and then I take a toothbrush size wire brush from the hardware store and lightly brush the carbon until I get the tones I want . Its kinda fun playing around with the shading . And if you took too much off and you feel its too light , burn it again . Have fun , Ray

Ray thanks for the tip homie!
I think another trip to the hardware store is in order.
Have a good week all.

peace.

Pages: 1 19 replies