Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Shag Moatu for trade

Pages: 1 9 replies

J
jtiki posted on Fri, Jan 17, 2003 2:39 PM

Yes, I picked one up and rather than diving into the whirlwind of profiteering, I felt trading for some of the tikis I’ve long coveted, might be better karma. It is a brand new Moatu, still in its box. If you have been playing on ebay, you know that they average around $300, and I’ve heard reports of up to $500 (perhaps smog breather can confirm).

What I am really hoping to get a hold of are some of Shag’s mugs, and I feel certain, someone out there is sitting on an extra set or two. So I am hoping to get some set of Shag mugs (edition isn’t terribly important to me), but the deal would be sweeter if someone were to toss in any of the following: Mugs from “Into the Volcano,” some of that Morgantown stemware; TikiRiki, the green or the black moai or some of the latter (highly priced) ebay mugs from Munktiki; less magical would be the Napco mug, the Frankoma mug, the Hawaiian Village mug, the Kono Hawaii from Santa Ana, or the Mainlander from St Louis and you guys have constantly exposed me to new cool mugs I didn’t know about.

Its not really an auction, but I’ll take some time to see what sorts of offers float up.

thanks
jtiki

[email protected]

PS – so you think this is the right way to go about this or should I have waited for the market to get more scarce ?

[ Edited by: jtiki on 2003-01-24 12:09 ]

J

I WAS CERTAIN SOME SHAG COLLECTOR would be hanging on to some extra mugs and want to trade for the decanter. I'm shocked no one stepped up. I ended up trading my shag moatu decanter for seven of the “Into The Volcano” mugs and one “Bug-eyed Paul Nielsen” mug.

Your opinions; good trade or no?

I'd say it was. I mean how long could you sit there and just look at the box. Plus it's hard to find those into the volcano mugs.

IMHO, I'd say it was a good trade. Into the Volcano mugs don't come around very often - not even on eBay....

M

Re:"Your opinions; good trade or no? "

Stellar trade, indeed. I'd MUCH rather have those seven mugs than the decanter set. On a related note:

Just my opinon, some may concur, some not. The Shag shark was jumped a while ago, some time around the pens.

It's a neat topic, but it's not my idea. Other TC'ers introduced me to the question.

midnite

jtiki, I think the trade was a good one as well. Eight uncommon mugs for a decanter set easily available on Ebay (though $$$) sounds great to me.

Midnite, I think you may be right about Shag, but I think that's great news. It'll make it increasingly easier for me to pick up some of his prints on the secondary market that I want but missed the first time around.

A

I think the thing about Shag is that it depends on what turns you on. Some people just look for things that have a personal appeal esthetically. Other people measure the value of things by collectible-ness or alternative-ness or things like that, which really have little to do with the items themselves and more to do with what other people think and do.

I thought "jumping the shark" was when things literally went downhill quality-wise. Fonzie became a wuss, Scrappy Doo was added to the mix, etc. Those shows honestly became dumber. But Shag's stuff is still pretty neat esthetically (I think). His prints and other wares still seem to get better all the time. But he's definitely more and more mainstream every day, so if your bag is to be ahead of the curve or outside of the mainstream, then I can see losing interest (assuming there ever was any interest in the first place).

But on the flipside, I can't see the appeal of things like the severed head mug. Even if people pay big bucks for it, that thing looks pretty hideous to me. People pay big bucks for Thomas Kinkade (Master of Light, TM), but that sure as hell doesn't make me interested in him either. But if I ever find one of those mugs cheap, I'll get it, in case someone here wants it!

-Randy

On 2003-01-24 18:40, aquarj wrote:
People pay big bucks for Thomas Kinkade (Master of Light, TM), but that sure as hell doesn't make me interested in him either.

My family can't understand how I can have a degree in art history and also think that Kinkade is tacky. :roll:

M

On 2003-01-24 18:40, aquarj wrote:
was any interest in the first place).
People pay big bucks for Thomas Kinkade (Master of Light, TM), -Randy

He is the PAINTER Of Light, Randy, not the MASTER Of Light. C'mon, show the man some respect. Or he'll kick your ass.

-martin

J
jtiki posted on Mon, Jan 27, 2003 1:26 PM

I don't know how you warped my innocent little Shag post into the Kinkade tirade, but this is just awful, it makes Maui look like a sheet cake.

As for Shag and the Shark, jumptheshark.com gives it as a moment, a defining moment when you know that [it] has reached its peak. That instant that you know from now on ... it's all downhill.

I'd be hard pressed to say Shag's work is going downhill; although the elite tikist might consider him passe' as he has become mass-consume-able. Personally, I tend to think of jumping the shark as having lost relavence, and I think his images still evoke. Of course, the bottom line is that the bottom line is the yardstick of the lowest common demoninator, but in that regard, his prices have not waned.

After all, I started this thread hoping to get some of his mugs.

j

[ Edited by: jtiki on 2003-01-27 13:28 ]

Pages: 1 9 replies