Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

chris nichols signs his new book the leisure architecture of wayne mcallister at la luz on may 11

Pages: 1 2 replies

D
DJLee posted on Sun, Apr 29, 2007 7:04 PM

Hi
Here is the La Luz press release.. His new book is marvelous.

MAY 11
Architect of deco Hollywood and the birth of Las Vegas, Wayne McAllister, saluted in new book THE LEISURE ARCHITECTURE OF WAYNE MCALLISTER.

Book signing by author Chris Nichols, Friday, May 11, 2007 at LA LUZ DE JESUS GALLERY, 7 pm.

The commercial architecture created by Wayne McAllister contributed much of the character of postwar Las Vegas and Southern California as well as influencing a lifestyle of glamorous nightclubs, poolside leisure and life behind the wheel. The new book THE LESIURE ARCHITECTURE OF WAYNE MCALLISTER Chris Nichols is a retrospective of a truly influential architect and the magnificent structures he created. Wayne McAllister was a designer with no formal architectural training who completely changed the fabric of cities like Las Vegas. From the famous Sands, Fremont and Desert Inn hotels in Las Vegas to neon-laden drive-ins such as Bob’s Big Boy, McDonnell’s and Simon’s to extravagant dinner houses like Lawry’s the Prime Rib, Richlor’s and Melody Lane, THE LEISURE ARCHITECTURE OF WAYNE MCALLISTER explores the history of this architect’s best-known projects. Chris Nichols has worked in the historic preservation community for almost twenty years. His work has been profiled in Smithsonian Magazine, National Public Radio, PBS, the Los Angeles Times, and L.A. Weekly. He is the former chair of the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee and an editor for Los Angeles Magazine.

LA LUZ DE JESUS GALLERY is located in the Soap Plant/WACKO building, in East Hollywood at 4633 Hollywood Blvd, 90027. Gallery hours are Monday – Wednesday: 11 am – 7 pm, Thursday – Saturday: 11 am – 9 pm and Sunday 12-6 pm.

Seriously, Chris has been working on this book FOREVER! I don't think there is anyone that knows more about Wayne McCallister except maybe Wayne himself, and you can't ask him anymore so there you go.

I'm bummed. I missed it!

Pages: 1 2 replies