Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Cuban Rum Question

Pages: 1 2 replies

My boss is going to Cuba in August and she's willing to bring me back rum. What should she bring me that we can't get in Canada? And conversely, are there any rums she should avoid?

On 2007-04-30 17:56, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
My boss is going to Cuba in August and she's willing to bring me back rum. What should she bring me that we can't get in Canada? And conversely, are there any rums she should avoid?

Well, Canada doesn't have a trade embargo, so you can get Havana Club in Canada. Havana Club is good, but the only reason you'd want to bring it back from Cuba is if its a lot cheaper than it is in Canada.

You could also look for some other rums besides Havana Club that you can't get at home. Here a bunch of other rums in Cuba:

http://www.rum.cz/galery/cam/cu/

If your boss can taste some of the rums before buying them, that would help.

PLT

I liked Ron Matusalem. There was a five and seven year and both are good quite good. I found that most domestic rums were very localized and not easy to find. So it will kind of depend on where she's going. If she does the 'Cigar and Rum factory tour' in Pinar Del Rio, she'll find it. Despite the 'cheezy touristy factor' and the death defying old Russian plane ride, it's worth it for some real Cuban Rum and cigars.

Pages: 1 2 replies