Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

So now Los Angeles area is down to how many classic Tiki Eaterys/bars?

Pages: 1 20 replies

TS

I can only think of two(maybe 3) places that are still on the map. Both are post mid century, but hell...they are about all we have

1. Tiki Ti
  2. Bahookas
  3. Damon's(I cannot confirm whether or not its still considered tiki)

Is there any other spots where you can grab some grog and grub and still feel the nostalgia(not to be confused with newstalgia) of the location?

didn't know if this post could be related here or locating tiki folder
Sorry if this belongs in Locating folder.

H

Tonga Hut
Hale Hawaii (?)
Hawaiian Room (?)

There's no doubt the ranks are thinning, but there's still more vintage stuff than anywhere else.

A

Most of the "classic" tiki places are gone from everywhere, not just LA. The only good news is that new ones continue to pop up to carry on the tradition.

P

Hale Hawaii (?)

Still there. I drop in about once or twice a month. Nothing's changed since my last report in this thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4796&forum=2

Fun little neighborhood bar, but certainly nothing on the scale of say a Trader Vic's or Bahooka.

O

The Warehouse in Marina Del Rey may not be traditional tiki but the owner Lee Spencer spent his birthday at Trader Vic's recently and told me he would like to add more tiki elements to the Warehouse. He is usually there on Wed and Fri evening if any one wants to ask him about it.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-05-01 12:52 ]

P

The thing that set Trader Vic's apart from the other Tiki establishments, including the other "classic" ones is the quality of the drinks. The drinks at Trader Vic's and Tiki Ti are orders of magnitude ahead of everywhere else. At Hale Hawaii only the Scorpion is in that class, and while the quality of the food at Damon's has improved significantly, the drinks remain very ho-hum to sometime downright bad. As much as I love Bahooka, the drinks there remain nothing to rave about, either. Trader Vic's was the last of the old school Polynesian restaurants that combines a sense of upscale elegance with good food and excellent exotic cocktails. Some of the drinks on their menu were better even than those of Tiki Ti. I can make a Mai Tai at home that will be pretty close, but now I have to travel 400 miles Emeryville or San Francisco to get a Navy Grog of that quality.

H

PiPhiRho, I agree with you 100%. Tim, here is an idea maybe Lee Spenser should hire a couple of the bartenders from Trader Vic's like Alfie and Ben and then everything will be ok.

On 2007-05-02 07:50, PiPhiRho wrote:
The thing that set Trader Vic's apart from the other Tiki establishments, including the other "classic" ones is the quality of the drinks.

As well as their mugs and bowls.

T

On 2007-05-01 00:08, Tom Slick wrote:
I can only think of two(maybe 3) places that are still on the map. Both are post mid century, but hell...they are about all we have

1. Tiki Ti
  2. Bahookas

Is there any other spots where you can grab some grog and grub and still feel the nostalgia(not to be confused with newstalgia) of the location?

Wait...how can Damons NOT be considered Tiki ? It's VERY Tiki. It's not necessarily Polynesian, but how many classic Tiki restaurants had real Polynesian food? Even La Mariana sailing club is nothing more than a Tiki Steakhouse, foodwise. Damons has LOTS of Tikis and Tiki decor in there.

On 2007-05-02 07:59, hiltiki wrote:
PiPhiRho, I agree with you 100%. Tim, here is an idea maybe Lee Spenser should hire a couple of the bartenders from Trader Vic's like Alfie and Ben and then everything will be ok.

Here here, I agree, that would be a terrific idea.
somebody mention that to Lee.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

O

Good idea Hiltiki, I will be there this Friday but if anyones goes tonite, please suggest it to him.

On 2007-05-01 00:08, Tom Slick wrote:

1. Tiki Ti
  2. Bahookas

I would add the Trader Vic's @ LA Live. Even though it is new, it is designed in the classic Tiki style, and is worthy of being added to the list.

[ Edited by: christiki295 2010-09-14 15:08 ]

R

purple orchid---- the galley---

On 2010-09-14 09:53, ron-tiki wrote:
purple orchid---- the galley---

Oh, I get it, but is the Galley tikified?
As much as I love Purple Orchid, for about a year, I used to go there every Fri night, it has yet to reach a "historic classic" longetivity, although this being LA, it may in about 2 more years.

[ Edited by: christiki295 2010-09-14 14:25 ]

R

the galley is the oldest bar and restaurant in santa monica..although it is not tiki it has a lot of tiki /nautical elements like bamboo, puffer fish, etc..

[ Edited by: ron-tiki 2010-09-14 15:40 ]

1. Trader Vics - L.A.
  2. Tiki Ti
  3. Tonga Hut
  4. Purple Orchid
  5. Puka Bar
  6. Bahookas
  7. Mai Tai Bar - Beverly Hills

Belief it or not, a group of my friends bar crawled all of these places in one day. Not in this order, necessarily.

Whew! What a day that was.

In my mind, the LA area is doing quite well. Keep in mind, I'm in Palm Desert.

On 2010-09-14 20:14, telescopes wrote:

1. Trader Vics - L.A.
  2. Tiki Ti
  3. Tonga Hut
  4. Purple Orchid
  5. Puka Bar
  6. Bahookas

Belief it or not, a group of my friends bar crawled all of these places in one day. Not in this order, necessarily.

That is a good day!

Is the Mai Tai Bar the same as Trader Vic's Lounge?

Puka and Purple Orchid both classic, but not Trader Vics?

On 2010-09-14 21:58, christiki295 wrote:

On 2010-09-14 20:14, telescopes wrote:

1. Trader Vics - L.A.
  2. Tiki Ti
  3. Tonga Hut
  4. Purple Orchid
  5. Puka Bar
  6. Bahookas

That is a good day!

Is the Mai Tai Bar the same as Trader Vic's Lounge?

Puka and Purple Orchid both classic, but not Trader Vics?

Ooops. Did I write Mai Tai Bar. Uhh. I meant TV Lounge.

Having dined so many times at the real thing when it was on the corner in Beverly Hills, I was greatly saddened to see it downsized. The Mai Tail Lounge is my own freudian "put-down".

I am often confused not to read more about people not going to the Puka Bar. I liked it.

Now, my favorite reason to go to L.A. is Don the Beachcomber. Ya, ya, I dig the Tiki Ti, but damn it, I get hungary after 4 or 5 drinks. And, I love the food at the Beachcomber - I'm talking about Happy Hour of course.

Still, I hit the T when I can, smoke a cigar, and trash Hollywood before I head on back home.

I'm not kidding about trashing Hollyweed either. Most trips cost me a few thousand dollars.

At least.

J

I would go to Puka Bar (I've never been) but when my car is that far South it auto-pilots straight to Don's. :)

If one of the OC/LB Tiki tribe wanted to start a monthly TC night, I would go...

is Billy's still in Newport?

they kicked us out on a crawl a few moons ago...

the Fog Cutters looked awesome!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
http://www.myspace.com/bambooben

ooops.
LA not OC... D'oh!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2010-09-15 21:15 ]

Wow. I dig the love for Don the Beachcomber!
And, yes, it might even top the list.

Pages: 1 20 replies