Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

UPDATE! Hukilau Zombie Glasses & Pendant!

Pages: 1 26 replies

In Hukilau's continued effort to preserve the past, this years mug is a design in honor of the Mai Kai's early years. At the request of Tiki Kiliki, Paul from Munktiki used the Cannibal Tikis which were so dominant in Mai Kai's marketing from the beginning. The Cannibals were used in magazine ads, on the cover of their dinner and drink menus in 1956 and 1957, on coasters, napkins, matchbooks and swizzles. For several years Donn Beach's cannibal tikis peered proudly atop the Mai Kai sign illuminated by the gas torches each evening. They were removed in the late 60's and are now stored in the Mai Kai's warehouse.

Vintage Mai Kai ads and miniature cocktail menu courtesy of Ron Licudine. Coaster and matchbook from the collection of Tiki Kiliki.

Photo courtesy of Swankpad.org - Original sign with Cannibal Tikis featured above

The 2007 Hukilau mug features a design that Paul (Munktiki) was inspired from which is seen in the photo below. The intricately carved poles are holding up the Mai Kai sign.

Photo courtesy of the Mai Kai archives - Inset detail is design reflected on 2007 mug

Hukilau 2007 Munktiki Mug - Limited Edition of 300
All mugs will be sold in numerical order beginning with #11 - you will be notified via email with the number/numbers you have ordered.
all mugs will ship on or after June 1, 2007
Each mug is priced at $65 + shipping / limit 2 per person

Purchase here from The Hukilau Website!

The mug holds 4 cups and is 5 3/4 tall and 4 1/2 inches wide.

Inset detail of Hukilau 2007 decal on side of mug

Purchase now and avoid the lines at the event. Other Official Hukilau Merchandise to debut in the coming weeks!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2007-05-01 19:18 ]

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2007-06-05 17:37 ]

I think I have become stupid in my lust for this mug.....

Where can I get one?

Do we get to start a "list?"

*EDIT

Now I know I have really gone stupid with lust..... I cant even get the link in the email to do anything.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2007-05-01 17:45 ]

The link in my email takes me to my paypal account, but then I'm not sure where to send $$.

Removed html mumbo-jumbo :)

-adrian

http://www.rumreviews.com

[ Edited by: MobileTikiBar 2007-05-01 19:31 ]

Hi everyone!

So sorry for the technical difficulties!! Please reference Kiliki's original post which now has a link to The Hukilau website for purchase. That'll take you straight to the necessary PayPal page and you'll be all set!

Thanks for your patience and noting the problem.

See you in June!
Orchid Wahine

M

I usually don't do this, cause my Momma taught me that if I don't have something nice to say, say nothing. But, I have to make a comment here.

Yikes! I like this one, A LOT. Fine, fine work by Paul. Really an effective pairing of the past to the present. Munktiki has done some compelling pieces of late, and I keep thinking I've seen their best, yet they can pull off something new and interesting like this one. If I didn't hate to fly so much, I'd go to Hukilau!

I believe the mug weirdos are gonna be all over this one: A great Muniktiki design, fine historical connotations, and no waiting in line from 7:30 am!

No soy un weirdo de la taza, yo soy un capitán!
el midnite la bamba

Media Noche, tu si eres wierdo supremo!

On 2007-05-01 23:35, Tiki Diablo wrote:
Media Noche, tu si eres wierdo supremo!

What he said!!!!! :)

Beautiful!!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

T

.........real solid design. I love it!

G

That is one fine mug! It has that wonderful old look like it was dug up from the remains of some tiki bar past. I don't drool over too many new mugs, but this one's special and is going right next to my Hukilau 2006 mug. I think it will be love at first sight for those two.

I agree. I was stunned when he sent the photos to me. We had several colors to choose from but this one was the obvious choice! So sorry about the trouble with the link everyone!

That is a most handsome looking mug, I ain't gonna lie to ya! Is there a particular drink recommended to fill it with?

This mug is GORGEOUS!!!! I can't wait to see it in person! Miss Kiliki, once again you have enticed us ALL! :)

So Much Love,
Tikilicious :)

[ Edited by: Tikilicious 2007-05-04 14:06 ]

G

On 2007-05-02 14:30, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
That is a most handsome looking mug, I ain't gonna lie to ya! Is there a particular drink recommended to fill it with?

See War God. 9 out of 10 cannibals recommend it.

K

Another great mug to honor the Mai Kai. Congrats to TK and Muntiki for this winning creation. A "War God" seems the fitting drink for such a vessel...

stern design, I dig the Hukilau "badge" good look. Glad about the pre orders. Will this be the 1 & only Official Mug Of Hukilau? is there any surprises in store? do tell...........

We actually do have such fun merchandise to announce! Look for the email if you're on the Hukilau news list or a posting here on Tiki Central.

What we've got up our sleeve:
A Limited Edition Hukilau Tiki Pendant (130 pieces) - Each one Hand Carved in Bali (so no 2 pendants are exactly alike)
A Limited Edition Sets of Glassware (140 sets) - Hukilau's first Zombie Glass!
The first ever Hukilau T-shirts! Girls will have 2 different styles to choose from!
A Limited Edition Kevin Kidney print that you'll DIE over!

We'll unveil the details next week - and for those of you that purchased mugs, you can add a pendant to your order for no additional shipping!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2007-05-18 11:40 ]

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2007-05-18 16:02 ]

G

On 2007-05-18 11:39, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Hukilau's first Zombie Glass!

Eh? What's that you say? Zombie glass? Do tell...

This mug is unreal. I've wanted some sort of incarnation of the cannibal tikis since I discovered them and this mug is so incredibly perfect. This will definitely have a place of honor in my collection. Thanks to everyone involved.

Aloha!

We've just announced other Hukilau Merchandise including the Hukilau Zombie glasses and our "Huki" Tiki Pendant - both featuring the artwork of Kevin Kidney!

Here's a few pics but for the full story go to the Hukilau Merchandise Page

R

How much for the models AND the pendants?

Somehow I was waiting for a comment or two of that nature.....hee hee

V
virani posted on Wed, Jun 6, 2007 4:02 AM

I'm taking the model on the left.
I love all the event artwork. Congratulations.
I hope there will be pendant and teeshirt left at the hukilau...
Maybe I'm not reading well, but when do you think we'll receive our mugs we ordered ?

Virani - you can find that model in the Molokai when you arrive!

The mugs are being prepared for shipment. They'll start to ship next week!

HC

Beautiful !.......Danger implied in that mug......and I love those tans!.....hopefully there's some left by the time we get to Hukilau !

V
virani posted on Wed, Jun 6, 2007 6:53 AM

On 2007-06-06 05:24, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Virani - you can find that model in the Molokai when you arrive!

The mugs are being prepared for shipment. They'll start to ship next week!

thanks TK.

I want her to serve me every drinks.
she's mine. Understand ? I don't share. I don't trade :wink:

By the way, those are really great pictures.

[ Edited by: virani 2007-06-06 07:01 ]

It was a great thrill to receive my Hukilau mug today. The Fourth of July party out here should be a great break-in. And who knew it holds a full quart of libation-fluid? Coolest design down the pike in quite a while too. Cheers to all and special thanks to tiki Kiliki and Stuckey.

Pages: 1 26 replies