Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

*Rescheduled* RADIO Show to discuss the RAPID CLOSURE of Trader Vic's May 3rd 10am

Pages: 1 18 replies

TS

UPDATE The Trader Vic's story has been RESCHEDULED for Thursday May,03 at 10am! I called the station and confirmed.

Christiki295 had posted this, but I thought it deserved its own thread in case people missed the post, and wanted to listen in LIVE via podcast or live stream from their website...
The matter will be discussed today, Wednesday, by one of our number on KPCC Airtalk at 10:00 a.m. on 89.3 FM.

click here to Listen Live
I also am sending over an email with the "Official Press Release" so they have something to refer to, in case they don't have it...Call in too,if you have time to express your feelings about the whole scheme of things.

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2007-05-02 12:07 ]

TS

The Show is about to start...

Bumped by the riots??

TS

yeah, it seems so...they did mention at 10am that they were going to discuss the closure of TV, but the riots takes precedence i guess! I want to go picket trader vic's and cause a riot now! maybe we can get some media to cover me getting a baton cracking me in the head....then again, maybe not!lol

TS

blah, blah, blah! Who cares about Russia!? We Want The Airwaves!!!

P

Now they've moved on to discussing Taiwan, when they should be talking about Mai Tais at Trader Vic's Beverly Hills.

TS

Its been rescheduled due to the overtime airing of the Immigration riots. Thursday May 3rd, 10am

TS

bump nudge! :wink:

As unhappy as I am about this closure as well....try to keep in mind that it's just not that big a deal to the rest of the Beverly Hills area and certainly not the country or the world...otherwise it would have never gotten closed in the first place.

Naturally ALL OF US here on Tiki Central are pissed to high heaven about the matter but that still never managed to get it registered as a Historically Important Sight or on the National Register for Historic Places.

http://www.nationaltrust.org/

I will stop to see if they do finally talk about it in the media at all just because I'll be interested to know a Non-Tiki fan opinion of it all.

TS

Well here is a media clip from our local news that I had contacted prior to heading there to take my last outside pictures. The coverage is basically the release that the Hilton put out.
Fox 11 talks about Trader Vic's

Well, as I might have suspected they were very nonchalant about the whole thing.....don't worry it's not going away completely, they're moving it pool side it's just smaller......no, they're tearing down a National Historic Landmark and replacing it with a little, shiny piece of CRAP with no historical relevance what so ever!

They are talking about it right now.
10:35am

It's on now...

TS

pure bullsh!t....they talked about every other place besides the closure of TV....Well thats media for ya! And Chris doesn't even know that Sams seafood is scheduled to reopen...lol...Man, TC needs some Representation who knows what going on! I'm going outside to go kick some rocks......

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2007-05-03 11:02 ]

Kick a couple for me too. I could suggest a pair of initials, but I think we all know whose rocks we'd like to see kicked. What can the media do now but eulogize TV's 90210? Chopping her in the night totally changed the campaign; there's no "there there" to "save" anymore. Just pieces, any by now probably not even possible to even theoretically put right again. Nice.

The media could possibly maintain some interest were this story recast as "a murder investigation", which it is -- the decision of a short-sighted few (and another few who looked the other way) to kill off a treasured part of our cultural heritage, before equal forces could be brought to bear. Axe in the night, knife in the back. Dishonorable. The Fix is Big, and the media is on to the next story.

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-05-03 12:46 ]

ON A LIGHTER NOTE......
I just spoke with someone at the Beverly Hilton... Trader Vic's Lounge is opening poolside this evening at 5pm. They have brought over the booths, the monkey pod tables, some interior "tiki" decor as well as Chai and Linda and the bartenders! I am very happy about the fact Chai Rojana will still be managing! He is first class all the way!!!

Anyway, for anyone interested, you can go to http://www.beverlyhilton.com and click your way to the Trader Vic's Lounge page and review the menu for pupus and drinks. I was told you can also read about any updates as they occur.

Followed the links STiki, and Wow! What an 11th Hour turnaround, graphics and all. Fascinating.

Something clearly went down between the players early this week. Could it be a certain group of Polynesiacs and ModComs, along with the rest of a shocked public, actually had an influence, perhaps even lent a high card, to Trader Vic's prominent (and sudden) "relocation", as opposed to its reduction to a mere alcove in C55? Hmmm. Nice to wonder if we've been at least a bit of a thorn in someone's paw...

Also very glad of course that Chai, Judy, Linda, and the Bartenders will keep working (together). Certainly they should get our show of support, if the refit isn't done so odiously as to actively repel tiki-minded enthusiasts. They entirely deserve it for the outstanding service they've provided to Trader Vic's patrons over the years. And whatever new situation they find themselves in, I know their happy customers will be happier to see them do well through this sad event.

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-05-03 13:12 ]

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-05-03 13:15 ]

P
PremEx posted on Thu, May 3, 2007 1:31 PM

*On 2007-05-03 12:41, SoccerTiki wrote:*Anyway, for anyone interested, you can go to http://www.beverlyhilton.com and click your way to the Trader Vic's Lounge page and review the menu for pupus and drinks.

I'm happy about the staff too. But still can't get that bad taste out of my mouth. Especially as that web site and menu contains the following:

Beverly Hills is proud to be the longest standing location for Trader Vic's...

Well now...that's carefully worded, isn't it? And if you were oh-so "proud" of the fact...why didn't you do the proper thing with the original restaurant's retirement?

In honor of Victor Bergeron's vision and our loyal patrons...

Oh yeah. I'm sure Vic would be honored to have his fine full-on restaurant and bar chopped up and velcro'd back together out by the pool. Yep. I'm sure that was his "vision" all along. :(

And it is such an "honor" for us "loyal patrons" too. Oh, pinch me and wake me from my dream come true. :(

And what about this...the hotel's banner ad for the new lounge thingy:

I thought Trader Vic's didn't use cocktail umbrellas by design? Could have sworn I read that somewhere. Or is this just another mis-step?

But the best part is the "Same Island Escape" proclamation. Oh yeah. Sure. Same thing. Absolutely. Keep feeding me this bullshit. Can't get enough. :(

It's always good being at a tropical bar out by a pool! I'm gonna stroll by this evening and check out the "Island Escapism". Any takers?

Pages: 1 18 replies