Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Any TIKI in Clearwater, Florida?

Pages: 1 14 replies

I searched the Locate forum...no luck. There is a Tiki Hut near the Adam's Mark on Clearwater Beach...I'll check that out. Anyone know of any other Tiki places in and around Clearwater and Clearwater Beach?

Thanks.

P

Not much happening in Clearwater.
Although you can find some good rums at Conch Republic, which is south where Indian Rocks meets Reddington Beach.
You'll have to walk the bartender through the mixology.

Most places in Florida say "tiki hut" when they mean "palmetto thatch shack."

I don't know specifically about Clearwater and Clearwater Beach but I read somewhere, (most likely "Tiki Road trip"), that there are more places "calling themselves" Tiki bar in Florida than anywhere in the world!

Over 1,000 in Florida! That averages out to more than 2 Tiki Bars EVERY MILE! :o

So there should be something regardless of it being old or classic Tiki. :)

I could be wrong so don't quote me on that....just read it somewhere!

Califoria's State Capital of Sacramento doesn't have squat in the way of Tiki bars!

On 2007-05-03 10:28, pablus wrote:
Not much happening in Clearwater.
Although you can find some good rums at Conch Republic, which is south where Indian Rocks meets Reddington Beach.
You'll have to walk the bartender through the mixology.

Most places in Florida say "tiki hut" when they mean "palmetto thatch shack."

AHAHA...I know what you mean about "tiki huts". Thanks...I love sipping good rum, so I'll try the Conch Republic.

I love the Conch Republic, even tho it's not tiki.. I go everytime I'm in the area.

T
P

This lady in Clearwater sells Easter Island Moai statues. My friend got me one from her. She also sells them on ebay. $30

http://cgi.ebay.com/Easter-Island-Moai-Statues-South-Pacific-Tiki_W0QQitemZ130108147727QQihZ003QQcategoryZ13765QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

G

As has been mentioned here a number of times before, Florida is full of so-called "tiki bars". (Even my local Applebee's has one for garsh sakes.) Unfortunately, practically none of them fit our description of what a tiki bar should be. There are just a handful of notable tiki spots around the state. Nothing in Clearwater that I know of. As for tiki bars, there's really only one that qualifies in my book and I think we all know which one that is! Other than that obvious one, maybe the new Trader Vic's in the panhandle will get the drinks right, but they unfortunately got the ambience all wrong from the post-opening pictures I've seen.

Other than the Mai-Kai, the best tiki bars in the state are in some of our homes.

G

On 2007-05-04 06:31, populuxe wrote:
This lady in Clearwater sells Easter Island Moai statues. My friend got me one from her. She also sells them on ebay. $30

I almost bought some of these a while back, but backed out. I guess it just bothered me a little that these are concrete copies of carvings from the island. She made a mold of the carvings and makes the copies from the mold. While I doubt there's any legal infringement of the carver's works, it just didn't seem quite right to me. Bad juju or something.

OK, I'm back with a tan. Other than getting scammed on parking (car got towed), we had fun. I went to Conch Republic...they do have some nice rum. Had a Zaccapa Centennario 15 Year. Was hoping to try the 23, but they were out. I'll do a review of it soon.

Also went to the Salt Rock Grill near Indian Rocks and had Appleton 21. I'll have a review of that, soon, too. BTW, the Salt Rock Grill is NICE.

I also hit the big liquor store in Tarpon Springs called B-21. What a store. I got Coruba, Teresa 1796, El Dorado 15, some Dominican rum, and Appleton Reserve. Good ingredients for my Tiki bar.

It rained for 3 days before I left Kansas City, and rained all while I was gone. My mint plants are going bananas...one has a leaf almost the size of a coaster.

Thanks for all the info.

Hey, thanks again for your info. Here are my reviews of what I drank in Clearwater.

Appleton Estate 21 Year Rum

Ron Zacapa Centenario 15 Year Rum

Ok, I was just contacted by a guy doing a website for The Porpoise Pub.

http://www.porpoisepub.com/

Thats the place I wrote about "finding" here,
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11007&forum=2&hilite=porpoise&PHPSESSID=57ffecbc0dee3f2556929253a7a60ee7

I've invited him to post here, and showed him the "Tiki In Clearwater Thread">

I've given him a primer on some of the views ( buffet,etc ) he might run into here.
I've advised him to lurk and peruse a little, but that people in the area are looking for a tiki bar thats more than a palm frond with a coconut monkey under it.

So, the place is weather worn, but with the right nurturinn attitude, it could be a decent little hang out.

I'd say keep an open mind, it might work out.

I still think that if local artisans and folks donate a tiki or
tiki related item to be displayed by a prospective location, it
justmight build a little positive attitude and add a little atmosphere
to a watering hole that shows promise.

Heck even if they get it so that one night aweek is non buffet/whatever
else is offensive and you can hang out and have good time, thats better than nothin'!

And of course I told them to check out the book of tiki. I don't its
going to be the Mai Kai or Trader Frank's. But it could be something better
that what yo've got in the area now.

TG

http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

[ Edited by: TikiGardener 2007-05-10 12:01 ]

On 2007-05-04 10:02, GatorRob wrote:
(Even my local Applebee's has one for garsh sakes.)

I know exactly what you're talking about, the one on university, right? It's so sad that people think that is what a tiki bar is...

T

On 2007-05-10 11:59, TikiGardener wrote:
Ok, I was just contacted by a guy doing a website for The Porpoise Pub.

http://www.porpoisepub.com/

Thats the place I wrote about "finding" here,
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11007&forum=2&hilite=porpoise&PHPSESSID=57ffecbc0dee3f2556929253a7a60ee7

I've invited him to post here, and showed him the "Tiki In Clearwater Thread">

I've given him a primer on some of the views ( buffet,etc ) he might run into here.
I've advised him to lurk and peruse a little, but that people in the area are looking for a tiki bar thats more than a palm frond with a coconut monkey under it.

So, the place is weather worn, but with the right nurturinn attitude, it could be a decent little hang out.

I'd say keep an open mind, it might work out.

I still think that if local artisans and folks donate a tiki or
tiki related item to be displayed by a prospective location, it
justmight build a little positive attitude and add a little atmosphere
to a watering hole that shows promise.

Heck even if they get it so that one night aweek is non buffet/whatever
else is offensive and you can hang out and have good time, thats better than nothin'!

And of course I told them to check out the book of tiki. I don't its
going to be the Mai Kai or Trader Frank's. But it could be something better
that what yo've got in the area now.

TG

Driving by yesterday it seems like there trying to clean the place up .... It will take a lot PR and a lot of elbow [cash] grease to change it back ......
It could work .... if the fires don't kill us all !!!!!

G

On 2007-05-10 23:01, hala_kahiki wrote:

On 2007-05-04 10:02, GatorRob wrote:
(Even my local Applebee's has one for garsh sakes.)

I know exactly what you're talking about, the one on university, right? It's so sad that people think that is what a tiki bar is...

Yup, that's the one. At least it gave me a good laugh.

Pages: 1 14 replies