Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

the islander sign -FOR SALE!!!! last page!!

Pages: 1 25 replies

Greetings....

....with the pitcairn motel chair project nearing completion i figure i better get my act together and start thinkin bout the third and last sign project for the DVA Gallery tiki art show in june.....time is running out and i needed something alittle less complex to take on for this so -BEHOLD!!! the islander.....

..found this here on t.c.....this is one of 2 photos i have to work from, so i'm gonna have to fill in the blanks on my own...if anyone has any pics of this i would be grateful for you posting them here....

I'm probably not going to go step by step on this one...i'll probably post a couple of pics about half way through and then post pics of the finished sign...

thanks!!

-stay tuned.!!

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2007-06-12 17:38 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2007-07-21 10:07 ]

H
hewey posted on Thu, May 3, 2007 8:42 PM

Cant wait to see it :D

..slow day at work so i used the time to build the moai part of the sign...it's almost done...i just have to prime and paint it!! I'LL post pics of it before and after painting later this evening...this was the hardest part of the sign...the rest will be a breeze...

it looks like the moai was originally painted brown so i'm gonna run with that...

here's the latest...this has been primed and the red stuff is putty......i'll post a painted version soon.

the moai is about 18 inches tall.....

here's an update.....

here's a rough placement of the sign...still have to mount the lite fixture in the box and the 2 brackets that connect the 2 signs and act as the hanger. The letters will be last to be applied......

here's a close up of the tiki head.....i'm gonna use flicker flame bulbs behind the eyes. makes a cool lookin effect.....

..that's it for now...the next time i post pics it will be finished...sometime next week.

Dude.... your sign making abilities are really incredible. You are complete inspiration for garage hobbyists like me.

I have a sign magazine subscription and each month I read with interest the different mediums that signmakers work with..

Your stuff looks totally professional.

On 2007-05-10 20:51, Monkeyman wrote:
Dude.... your sign making abilities are really incredible. You are complete inspiration for garage hobbyists like me.

I have a sign magazine subscription and each month I read with interest the different mediums that signmakers work with..

Your stuff looks totally professional.

thanks monkey......ironically enough, my first job out of college was working for a sign company...we made vinyl and plastic signs and even then (after bullshitting my way into the vegas sign graveyard) i was inpired to create some of my own using christmas lights(this was before leds became popular) I actually sold some to local clubs and bars here....that was back in 1990. Now, years later and with tons of model making and product designing skills behind me i'm able to produce these in the way they should be and with better materials.....i do owe a great debt to pariarts paul. without his letter cutting abilities it would have taken me much longer and the result would not have been as good. Thankfully the technology has finally caught up to the sign industry and i am able to create these pieces.

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2007-05-11 09:15 ]

David, what a great idea and great execusion.
What if you gave it more of a weathered look?
Maybe not as much as the picture shows but just enough to add some character, just a thought.
Looking forward to seeing this one done.

thanks doug!!

i considered it since the original sign is so decrepit.....and that's something i may experiment with down the line.. I think when this one is done it'll look real sharp.....there's something nice about bringing back what a sign may have once looked like, since alot of the original ones are too weathered or have been torn down (even though i take artistic liscense in most cases).

part of what i want to convey with these is the beauty and form of what we as a culture have lost so much of over the years...we've lost alot in terms of architecture and signage and though i can't bring it back, at least i can bring it back to life in form of these sign projects for folks to enjoy the essence of a time gone by in a new way.....

H

What a great craftsmanship you have, I like the gray color. Keep posting us, you know we love these pictures. :)

D

Dude, these signs are fantastic! I can't wait to see what you're going to do next!!!

okay!! here is my third and final piece for the dva gallery show.....sorry for the crappy pics.....i didn't have enough room or blank wall space to shoot this properly.....you'll notice i changed the background from white to yellow acrylic on the sign...white cast too much light and would have been overpowering in a dark tiki room....I also ditched the painted foliage as well...it looked too cheesy and was probably added to the original sign as an afterthought. i also put flicker flame bulbs in his eyes...not sure what the original sign had but i'll bet they lit up too!!

see ya at the opening!!

Lookin' kick ass, Dave!! R u gonna do a whole run of these remakes?? Will they all be chairs or all different thangs?? Good Stuff!

On 2007-06-12 17:55, FreddieBallsomic wrote:
Lookin' kick ass, Dave!! R u gonna do a whole run of these remakes?? Will they all be chairs or all different thangs?? Good Stuff!

Thanks!! yeah i plan on making a bunch more...some signs, some furniture. It all won't be tiki, but it will be retro and googie and all that...bowling alley signs, motels, bars.....if i like the original design, i'll do it. I think i mentioned in another post that i would be publishing a book of the whole series of these, with the sign art repros being the main focus and the rest revolving around my other creations...

Very Cool Tipsy!

Now get to work on that decanter!

On 2007-06-12 18:36, Bora Boris wrote:
Very Cool Tipsy!

Now get to work on that decanter!

ha, ha!! it's next on the list!!!

That sign is "flippin'" sweeeeet! You've really tapped into a cool, unique niche here. I'd be proud to have that!

On 2007-06-12 19:17, Sam Gambino wrote:
That sign is "flippin'" sweeeeet! You've really tapped into a cool, unique niche here. I'd be proud to have that!

you keep talkin like that and i may just end up tradin' you one of my signs for some of your art!!

thanks, sam.....the pictures don't do it justice. this one came out really nice....i wasn't sure about the color combo at first, but after seein' this thing lit up it's amazing.....i'd keep it myself if i had the room!!!

Wow Tipsy! You did it again! Incredible!

T

Yeah, Tippsy What he said. These signs are AWESOME!
Great work.

M

Excellent work as usual! I think we all want to place orders. LOL

F

These signs keep getting better.

kickass sign, tipsy! looking forward to seeing your decanter.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jun 13, 2007 7:43 PM

Looks great - very nice :D

I'm sure a lot of people would jump at the chance to by a personalised sign :D

available for sale!!

here's my other one of a kind art sign replica lamp from the dva gallery tiki art show.....available now for $400!! if interested, p.m me about shipping...it's not a heavy piece so shipping shouldn't be an issue....

thanks!!

bump

-only because of the recent grimes thread islander bar.....sign is sold by the way...

Pages: 1 25 replies